Your UPS management team

PT Car Washer

Completely different, don't think ups training is on par with the United States military!

Sent using BrownCafe App
I agree being a truck driver is not the same as an Infantryman but leadership either on the battlefield or the boardroom is the same. I don't agree with all of managements decisions but if I don't like it I can either quit (retire) or join management and fix the problems. Thinking more towards retirement, after it stops being fun.

Packmule

"Those who can't do.... manage."

-Bug-
99 % of this statement I agree with. However I've had a couple of sups over the years that were really good at driving. They were also very good at standing behind the drivers when a situation called for it. Any wonder they no longer work here? They had too much of a conscience to stay.

PT Car Washer

99 % of this statement I agree with. However I've had a couple of sups over the years that were really good at driving. They were also very good at standing behind the drivers when a situation called for it. Any wonder they no longer work here? They had too much of a conscience to stay.
Sounds like my current management team. I know I will get flamed for saying this but they do a really good job considering the situation they are given everyday.

S

selfcancelsignal

Completely different, don't think ups training is on par with the United States military!

Sent using BrownCafe App
Don't you just love how since we wear uniforms, have short hair & little facial hair, & our DIAD clocks are military time some think UPS is all military.? Not even close!

Sent while driving from my flip phone via T9 word.

oldngray

nowhere special
Don't you just love how since we wear uniforms, have short hair & little facial hair, & our DIAD clocks are military time some think UPS is all military.? Not even close!

Sent while driving from my flip phone via T9 word.

UPS used to much more like military. Even having drivers line up in the morning for inspection.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If that was the only consideration UPS used to determine if a person was a good management person, UPS might not be in business.
Different job needing different skill sets.

Some of the least effective on-car sups I ran across at UPS was a result of the mindset of promoting the best driver to management.
My first on-car was amazing. He kept a fast pace walking off long driveways up big hills and would walk off dead end streets faster than driving down them. He was really quick locating packages in an unsorted truck and his area knowledge after just training a route a few times was crazy. Had street breaks down cold on every street. He worked by all the methods while training me and didn't cut any corners like every other on-car since has. He honked, rang all the doorbells, knocked and called out UPS at every stop. During my cover days I rode with 6 different sups across 3 centers and he is the only one who never cabbed a package with me in the truck, released a business or released a resi package where it shouldn't have been. Every sup since has done a combination of those things they shouldn't have, but he didn't. So, he would have made a good driver and he was a good sup.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Nah, I work alot, but I don't have to wait months to see my family like they do. I drive through rough neighborhoods, but don't have to worry about a roadside IED taking my arms and legs off like they do. I serve my customers but don't have to serve my country being ready to take someone's life and suffer the PTSD fallout afterward like they do.

We're nothing like the military.

10 point

I agree being a truck driver is not the same as an Infantryman but leadership either on the battlefield or the boardroom is the same. I don't agree with all of managements decisions but if I don't like it I can either quit (retire) or join management and fix the problems. Thinking more towards retirement, after it stops being fun.
I'm not sure management knows it has "problems" or wants them fixed.

You can't see much with your head in the sand.

10 point

In a year he will be bragging about running 30 sph and never ran over to the new guys. Funny how all supes were the best drivers. Makes you wonder how mgmt could afford to "promote" them.

Sent using BrownCafe App
They run scratch because they code "02" in their board instead of "06".
They always run scratch on that supervisor code.

Ask them and watch their faces.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Why don't you go into management then ... it would appear people like you are the problem.
Drivers like me are why supervisors are going the way if the dodo. We handle our business, make the company profit, and require little more than a flunky to manage and clickity click a mouse, to make sure my pay is accurate. We are UPS.

MethodsMan

There's a sup from the another center in my building that I worked with in the hub when he was a PT sup. When he was training for his 30 days I gave him my number if he had any questions. Needless to say he had me on speed dial and was calling me constantly. Couldn't find his way out of a wet paper bag when he was started.

I was talking to a guy he was training a couple weeks ago and he was telling me about how he was bragging to him about how he was a natural when it came to driving. Told this trainee that he was getting bonus on his second day.

LOL

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My first on-car was amazing. He kept a fast pace walking off long driveways up big hills and would walk off dead end streets faster than driving down them. He was really quick locating packages in an unsorted truck and his area knowledge after just training a route a few times was crazy. Had street breaks down cold on every street. He worked by all the methods while training me and didn't cut any corners like every other on-car since has. He honked, rang all the doorbells, knocked and called out UPS at every stop. During my cover days I rode with 6 different sups across 3 centers and he is the only one who never cabbed a package with me in the truck, released a business or released a resi package where it shouldn't have been. Every sup since has done a combination of those things they shouldn't have, but he didn't. So, he would have made a good driver and he was a good sup.
So your belief is that because he knew and applied the methods, he was a good sup?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
If that was the only consideration UPS used to determine if a person was a good management person, UPS might not be in business.
Different job needing different skill sets.

Some of the least effective on-car sups I ran across at UPS was a result of the mindset of promoting the best driver to management.
Don't take this the wrong or anything because I know your a smart dude and have no reason to disrespect you in any way at all, but that sentence clearly depicts in my opinion the brainwashing the company does with their management team. That would be a sentence of someone who is brainwashed would say. Its not a jab at you at all just my opinion of how that sentence sounded.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Don't take this the wrong or anything because I know your a smart dude and have no reason to disrespect you in any way at all, but that sentence clearly depicts in my opinion the brainwashing the company does with their management team. That would be a sentence of someone who is brainwashed would say. Its not a jab at you at all just my opinion of how that sentence sounded.
I could be brainwashed.
I use to complain 25 - 30 years ago about the poor quality of some of the on-car supervisors and almost every time the reply was - "He was the best driver in the center".
The MAPP process has taken care of that kind of stupidity over the years.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I could be brainwashed.
I use to complain 25 - 30 years ago about the poor quality of some of the on-car supervisors and almost every time the reply was - "He was the best driver in the center".
The MAPP process has taken care of that kind of stupidity over the years.
Nah not brainwashed I wouldn't say that, id say smart and knew how to master the game. I think that's a fair assessment lol. By the way I cant upload any pix at all so if you look into that it would be much obliged partner lol.