Your UPS management team

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
In defense of my management team: if they were actually allowed to MANAGE the building instead of being Micro Managed by the DM and IE i think EVERYONE'S performance would increase, attidues of both Hourly and Management would be better,and the 30 grievances a week from a group of 60 drivers would probably be gone.
I am not a nostalgic person,but I certainly the miss the days of the center manager managing the building

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I adveraged 40 to 45 hours a week and was paid a salary based on 25 hours. Drove packages that were left in the building to drivers. Adveraged 200+ miles a week with no compensation. The preload supervisors (part time and full time) was berated every morning by the Center Manager on how incompetent we were. Was past over to go driving 5 times (3 to 1 back then) because the Center Manager did not want to lose me. I have never truly hated anybody in my life until then. I still plan on pissing and dancing on his grave.
Went through the same crap as a preload sup, got paid based on 25, opened the building, delivered air in my own car, jumped at Christmas, for nothing, oh yeah a 2 week bonus. I opened the building, they didnt come in til 8 ish, and half the time I was there , or working after ft went home. I went driving and never went back. Now I am recouping my money, 1 overallow hour at a time.

Returntosender

In defense of my management team: if they were actually allowed to MANAGE the building instead of being Micro Managed by the DM and IE i think EVERYONE'S performance would increase, attidues of both Hourly and Management would be better,and the 30 grievances a week from a group of 60 drivers would probably be gone.
I am not a nostalgic person,but I certainly the miss the days of the center manager managing the building
A supervisor said the new CEO is a ex operator, hopefully the new CEO will give the operations more control over the operation instead of the accounting guys.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
A supervisor said the new CEO is a ex operator, hopefully the new CEO will give the operations more control over the operation instead of the accounting guys.
Listen. That nonsense isn't going to matter. Management is going to want the runner gunner guys that drive 20 mph over speed limit and leave packages in mailboxes. That don't talk to there customers about there day or there lives or make small talk , that won't put packages where they request them to be placed because they are in such a rush to get back to building before 5pm. Listen. I see how these new guys are running routes and management loves it. It makes me sick. Every-time I leave for any extended period of time I have an average of 3 to 6 tracers and tons of customer complaints. They love my service and can't stand the runner gunners. Ups wants all runner gunners. They could care less about customer interaction, actually was told by my center manager was over servicing coustomer. And if someone started conversation with me I was to say " sorry really busy, have to go". I'm concerned with direction management is trying to lead our company......Most businesses I deliver to only use us because of great service I (we) provide. Take that away , why not pay the crazy dhl to deliver it for $10 less Just sayin. Rant over.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Listen. That nonsense isn't going to matter. Management is going to want the runner gunner guys that drive 20 mph over speed limit and leave packages in mailboxes. That don't talk to there customers about there day or there lives or make small talk , that won't put packages where they request them to be placed because they are in such a rush to get back to building before 5pm. Listen. I see how these new guys are running routes and management loves it. It makes me sick. Every-time I leave for any extended period of time I have an average of 3 to 6 tracers and tons of customer complaints. They love my service and can't stand the runner gunners. Ups wants all runner gunners. They could care less about customer interaction, actually was told by my center manager was over servicing coustomer. And if someone started conversation with me I was to say " sorry really busy, have to go". I'm concerned with direction management is trying to lead our company......Most businesses I deliver to only use us because of great service I (we) provide. Take that away , why not pay the crazy dhl to deliver it for $10 less Just sayin. Rant over.
It'll work itself out. The runners can only drive recklessly for so long until they get into a serious accident or injure themselves jumping out of the truck or running across a lawn. Enough accidents and injuries and the surcharges from Metlife will eventually catch up with them to make the bean counters realize they lose more with one totaled truck than they gain by a few guys in the center working unsafely.

As for the personal service and relationships we build with customers, I think the majority of us know how much time is appropriate to "show the flag" and be friendly. I think we're all also guilty of occasionally hanging around shooting the breeze a little too long at some stops.

We know the way we treat people is the reason people choose us and just like our way being better than Orion, we don't need management to accept the facts--we'll continue to handle the day to day business of the company and let them take the credit.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
SOME PRICKS IDEA WHY SPEND 75% OF YOUR RESOURCES TO SOLVE 99%OF YOU PROBLEM WHEN THEY CAN GET 1% OFF BRIAN TO BLAME,DOES THIS SOUND FAMILIAR?

Returntosender

Let's say you're about to hire somebody for a position in your company. Your corporation wants someone who's fearless, charismatic, and full of new ideas. Candidate X is charming, smart, and has all the right answers to your questions. Problem solved, right? Maybe not.

We'd like to think that if we met someone who was completely without conscience -- someone who was capable of doing anything at all if it served his or her purposes -- we would recognize it. In popular culture, the image of the psychopath is of someone like Hannibal Lecter or the BTK Killer. But in reality, many psychopaths just want money, or power, or fame, or simply a nice car. Where do these psychopaths go? Often, it's to the corporate world.

Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths Go to Work Paperback – May 8, 2007 Amazon has audio or hard copy book.

oldngray

nowhere special
Went through the same crap as a preload sup, got paid based on 25, opened the building, delivered air in my own car, jumped at Christmas, for nothing, oh yeah a 2 week bonus. I opened the building, they didnt come in til 8 ish, and half the time I was there , or working after ft went home. I went driving and never went back. Now I am recouping my money, 1 overallow hour at a time.

And I thought supervisors were the best drivers. Oops, I mean supervisors claim they were the best drivers. :childish:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If that was the only consideration UPS used to determine if a person was a good management person, UPS might not be in business.
Different job needing different skill sets.

Some of the least effective on-car sups I ran across at UPS was a result of the mindset of promoting the best driver to management.
I agree that driving and managing are two different skill sets.

I would also say that an on car supervisor should have a minimum of 6 months of actual driving experience before being put in a position to supervise and train other drivers.

My current Center Manager and new on road sup are both young enough to be my children. I was doing this job before they were even born, and they might have a combined total of 3 weeks of driving experience between them. I am hoping that they have enough humility to know what they don't know and that they have the willingness to be open minded and to listen to and learn from subordinates who have the experience that they lack.

10 point

I agree that driving and managing are two different skill sets.

I would also say that an on car supervisor should have a minimum of 6 months of actual driving experience before being put in a position to supervise and train other drivers.

My current Center Manager and new on road sup are both young enough to be my children. I was doing this job before they were even born, and they might have a combined total of 3 weeks of driving experience between them. I am hoping that they have enough humility to know what they don't know and that they have the willingness to be open minded and to listen to and learn from subordinates who have the experience that they lack.
All of those things were on my list and would create a pleasant work environment.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You hit the nail right on the head brotherman, couldn't agree more.