Your Want Sales Leads From Me?

hypo hanna

The driver could have also given him a heads-up if there were issues with the account.

We have "retention sales leads" which, unlike regular sales leads, are for those accounts who have expressed interest in diverting their volume. These leads are given the highest priority by BD.

It is impossible for your sales folks to be everywhere all of the time---this is where you guys come in. Yes, I do understand the frustration of going through all of the hassle of submitting a valid Express sales lead only to see the volume diverted to Ground, but it is FedEx volume nonetheless and I would think that if you want to delay or even prevent the conversion of Express to a part-time opco you would all be working hard to bring in new business.
And in an earlier time, that's how it would work but this is fedex not Federal Express. The Express driver is constantly getting pay and benefit cuts because as his manager tells him, "your opco isn't performing as well as we would like." Meanwhile, we the front line employees have never been more productive and fedex corporation has never before in its history been more profitable.
Its clear the company no longer values the employees and sees profit in that Philosophy. No amount of sales leads whether they bring in express or ground volume will prevent them from making express a part-time OPco if it will boost the stock price.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
And in an earlier time, that's how it would work but this is fedex not Federal Express. The Express driver is constantly getting pay and benefit cuts because as his manager tells him, "your opco isn't performing as well as we would like." Meanwhile, we the front line employees have never been more productive and fedex corporation has never before in its history been more profitable.
Its clear the company no longer values the employees and sees profit in that Philosophy. No amount of sales leads whether they bring in express or ground volume will prevent them from making express a part-time OPco if it will boost the stock price.
Exactly. We can kill ourselves with submitting sales leads but in the end FedEx is gonna do what they want to do which usually means throwing couriers under the bus. I for one am not going to help them do it.

soc151

They can get their own damn leads. Last thing I want is another pickup on the opposite end of the route with an impossible window that isn't flexible.

whenIgetthere

The driver had no idea the account was in trouble. He always goes out of his way to deliver their packages first, no matter what time we leave the building.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Yeah but,
Maybe they weren't "$100" customers to the driver.
I have "$100" customers and then, I have everyone else.

!Retired!

I think he's in canada
Gotcha.
Our sales people have been helping scan and load for about 4 months. I was surprised to say the least, especially when they didn't stop after a couple days
I rarely see the sales people, except when the focus becomes sales leads. They come in usually after I leave the building and leave before I'm done.

As for the sales leads....you can count on 1 hand how many I've handed in, including when it was part of our review.

cancan

I've submitted retention sales leads before. Two weeks go buy and nothing. We almost lost the account. I had to go to a senior manager to get their problem resolved. These days I would probably just let the account go. I've turned in several good sales leads. Half of which were lost and the other half had some bs reason why they couldn't be paid. I'm done!

CJinx

There is a noticeable layer of dust on the desk of our sales guy and I haven't seen him since November. He still has a stack of christmas cards in his mailbox.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
There is a noticeable layer of dust on the desk of our sales guy and I haven't seen him since November. He still has a stack of christmas cards in his mailbox.

Ground sells itself because it's so cheap. Sales has been tasked with multiple opcos for quite some time now, and they are incentivized to push the Ground product because it has the highest profit margin. All of the reps I see drive BMWs or similar very nice cars and seem to be doing quite well.

Lets see, they get a BMW and we get a donut. What's wrong with that picture?

El Morado Diablo

We got a PPad message urging us to submit leads to day to "help out our Sr Mgr". Included in the message was the number of leads submitted by one of our stations. I thought it was pretty funny because last week they said they were going to write up anyone who didn't submit a lead. People were looking for "quality" leads in the phone books before parking their vehicles in the station that night. I'm sure sales is going to love wasting their time with those dead ends.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm pretty lukewarm on actively seeking sales leads. I'd like to tell our sales guys to drive around at about 3:30 and look for the businesses that have a UPS truck backed up to it. That's your lead, go get the business.

CJinx

All of the reps I see drive BMWs or similar very nice cars and seem to be doing quite well.
Maybe it's the presentation. Like a realtor. Would you buy a house or services from somebody driving a beat up station wagon? lol

As for the doughnut reward; well, yeah. No defending that. Personally I think if you make or save the company money than they should share a bit of that money in the form of a BZ.

hypo hanna

Maybe it's the presentation. Like a realtor. Would you buy a house or services from somebody driving a beat up station wagon? lol

As for the doughnut reward; well, yeah. No defending that. Personally I think if you make or save the company money than they should share a bit of that money in the form of a BZ.
For fedex that would equal the 10 cent sheet of paper and the time it took to write the commendation. It's been a very long time since I have seen a BZ that included any money.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
For fedex that would equal the 10 cent sheet of paper and the time it took to write the commendation. It's been a very long time since I have seen a BZ that included any money.

A year ago, the Sales team came in from Memphis to "reward" an employee who had gotten the company a 6-figure account and then maintained the relationship (and the business) after we had repeatedly effed-up. They gave her a little trophy plaque that probably cost $25, plus a BZ, and got her name wrong during the presentation, totally embarrassing her. The name on the plaque was similarly mangled.The Sales Manager couldn't even take the time to get her name right. Since then, she has become a devotee of WAD, we lost the account, and she could give a crap about anything other than sitting there all day doing the bare minimum.

STFXG

Sales leads just mean more work and more windows. It's not worth the pay for these small shippers for the headache they cause.

hypo hanna

Sales leads just mean more work and more windows. It's not worth the pay for these small shippers for the headache they cause.
That is just the type of customers they want us to find for the new flat rate packages.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I'm pretty lukewarm on actively seeking sales leads. I'd like to tell our sales guys to drive around at about 3:30 and look for the businesses that have a UPS truck backed up to it. That's your lead, go get the business.
I agree. If sales would use just a drop of common sense they wouldn't have be begging for leads.

hypo hanna

I agree. If sales would use just a drop of common sense they wouldn't have be begging for leads.
Why would they do the hard work when they can con someone else into doing it for what amounts to crumbs?
Any sales person will tell you the toughest part of the job is the cold calls and just getting their foot in the door. It's easier to have you do that then they can go in and close the deal for the big commission.