3 day ride complete

onestoptogo

I have a very poor time allowance on my route and was subjected to a 3 day ride this week. I usually run 45 minutes over allowed and am on the 9.5 list. I take all my breaks and do not work during my lunch. I actually was pleased to get this ride so I could show them that the problem was the time study and not my performance. I ended up running more over allowed on all three days than normal and stops per on road hour less than normal. I had a few minor issues with methods but the on road sup could not really come up with a excuse why we were coming in so far over allowed. We ran 95% on Orion and were under miles. So the Sup tells me the Center manager is pissed at him because he can't figure out why we were running even more over allowed than normal. The Center Manager told the on road that he believes I have tricked him and now they can't do anything to me now. I absolutely did nothing to sabotage this ride. The only thing slightly different was not indirecting shag stops to where the people work and bringing it to their house instead. Since this was a check ride, I did not feel the need to give them the advantage of my area knowledge. So, I was under the impression that 3 day rides lock you into a certain stops per on road hour. What happens Next? I am the first to get one in our small center.

The fact is, no time studies are created equal. I can run 45 minutes over on one route then over an hour under on another one.

Indecisi0n

Save all the documentation from that ride. You should be able to figure out your own stops per hour. If you ran over more then guess what? Your stops need to drop. If not, keep filing and use that OJS to your advantage.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I have a very poor time allowance on my route and was subjected to a 3 day ride this week. I usually run 45 minutes over allowed and am on the 9.5 list. I take all my breaks and do not work during my lunch. I actually was pleased to get this ride so I could show them that the problem was the time study and not my performance. I ended up running more over allowed on all three days than normal and stops per on road hour less than normal. I had a few minor issues with methods but the on road sup could not really come up with a excuse why we were coming in so far over allowed. We ran 95% on Orion and were under miles. So the Sup tells me the Center manager is :censored2: at him because he can't figure out why we were running even more over allowed than normal. The Center Manager told the on road that he believes I have tricked him and now they can't do anything to me now. I absolutely did nothing to sabotage this ride. The only thing slightly different was not indirecting shag stops to where the people work and bringing it to their house instead. Since this was a check ride, I did not feel the need to give them the advantage of my area knowledge. So, I was under the impression that 3 day rides lock you into a certain stops per on road hour. What happens Next? I am the first to get one in our small center.

You did things right. Congrats! Well done. By the way, they know the numbers are bogus.

billerz

It sickens me the way your center manager is treating the situation. Why can't they just do the right thing? Lol

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
My last 3 day ride, I "demonstrated" spohrs of 16, 12, and 14, with no suggestion that I was remiss in my methods at any time.
Now, whenever they start talking about "demonstrated performance" in regards to my stats, I ask them which day of that ride are they referring to?
They always revert back to the 3 day average of 14.4.
It frustrates them, and makes me laugh, when I explain that this 3 day ride "demonstrated" efficiently that my route varies greatly from day to day.

These rides mean absolutely nothing, unless they manage to get you, the driver, to buy in to the nonsense.
Do your job, and do it right, and let management explain the numbers.
Divorcing yourself from the company's arbitrary standards will be the most liberating thing you will ever do at UPS.

Overpaid Union Thug

I have a very poor time allowance on my route and was subjected to a 3 day ride this week. I usually run 45 minutes over allowed and am on the 9.5 list. I take all my breaks and do not work during my lunch. I actually was pleased to get this ride so I could show them that the problem was the time study and not my performance. I ended up running more over allowed on all three days than normal and stops per on road hour less than normal. I had a few minor issues with methods but the on road sup could not really come up with a excuse why we were coming in so far over allowed. We ran 95% on Orion and were under miles. So the Sup tells me the Center manager is :censored2: at him because he can't figure out why we were running even more over allowed than normal. The Center Manager told the on road that he believes I have tricked him and now they can't do anything to me now. I absolutely did nothing to sabotage this ride. The only thing slightly different was not indirecting shag stops to where the people work and bringing it to their house instead. Since this was a check ride, I did not feel the need to give them the advantage of my area knowledge. So, I was under the impression that 3 day rides lock you into a certain stops per on road hour. What happens Next? I am the first to get one in our small center.
You should never welcome a harassment ride. If you have already had your S & V Ride then you definitely need to file. You should also grab a Steward, or any other Witnesses, to take a look at your load before you leave the building. If it has been massaged and/or has bul stops missing that you normally have then that is a problem as well. If there are drastic changes in the route from what you normally get then you should ask 4 that day to be thrown out. If they are going to pull this crap then they need to send you out with a workload that is similar to your average.

Future

Victory Ride
Just tossing this in.....my route as well as many others ....traffic wise varies heavily on a day to day basis....schools in session ...garbage day .... Holidays .....easily a 30min swing on heavy traffic days

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Get into the habit of writing everything down. Their dispatch process is nothing more than a shell game.

I have years worth of calendars that can show my "demonstrated performances" of an 8 hour day at 120 stops without a TLA the follwing morning and not the 150 they occasionally put on me when they try getting more production out of me

iowa boy

Just tossing this in.....my route as well as many others ....traffic wise varies heavily on a day to day basis....schools in session ...garbage day .... Holidays .....easily a 30min swing on heavy traffic days

Also, a craptastic pre-loader can easily add 30 minutes or more to your workday.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Just a different point of view. Maybe the center manager is using you to get at the OCS. Most center manager's realize that times vary and won't bug you if you are less than an hour over. You said he was mad at the OCS when the supe said he couldn't figure out why you were running late. Management does love to play their little games and at times we are used as pawns.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
...So, I was under the impression that 3 day rides lock you into a certain stops per on road hour. What happens Next? I am the first to get one in our small center.
Your impression was incorrect.

"Lock-in-rides" are a myth promoted by management. They have no contractual basis.

Whether or not your management team is happy about the results of your 3-day "lock-in" ride should be of no concern to you.

Their numbers, their problem. You work in the real world, they dont.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sounds like it's time for IE to do a time study on your area.
Why?

They will only screw him out of more time and make a bad situation worse.

The allowances were never intended to be fair or realistic in the first place. They were intended to create a standard that can only be met by working off of the clock.

onestoptogo

I know the reason they gave me the 3 day ride is because I file and collect on 9.5. Other drivers who run more over allowed than me but are not 9.5 are not harassed as much. During the ride the on road had the same computer that the Orion Guy's used. He said he could change things that would help the Orion solution so they can better dispatch me. He also said that it would do nothing to correct the planned day numbers.