3rd Vote

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Not quite. The letter complains of three impacts the ACA has on Taft Hartley plans, none of which will affect UPS emplyees under this agreement.
1) The incentive to cut full time hours to 30 or less.
Not happening at UPS.

Who are you trying to kid, it's already happening, through attrition?
Full time employees aren't being replaced as it is, and the new single day vacation driver language in the Central Region Supplement is going to make full time opportunities even more scarce.

2) Taft Hartley plans not eligible for subsidies.
Subsidies for individuals kick in depending on earnings. With HC paid by UPS through negotiated contributions via the contract, individual eligibility vanishes.

So is the company contributing the same amount of $ for a part time employee as they are for a full time employee to the Central States H&W fund?
Would these same part time employees be eligible for these "subsides" if this were not a TH plan.
Could this be a mirage for part time employees who think this to be a good thing, only to have the rug pulled out from under them when presented with ever increasing annual deductibles?
Part timers will be economically crippled with deductibles.

3) Taft Hartley plans pay tax for ACA.
Correct, but without the implementation of the ACA (which is expected to lower overall H&W costs), H&W plans would have paid out higher claim costs thereby expending additional funds. It becomes something of a wash. While the three year "tax" paid by plans could be a factor, the impact will be felt by smaller plans and absorbed by larger plans.

If overall H&W costs "lower", it will be the first thing that has happened under the ACA that was supposed to, and the first time it has lowered...ever?
Reality dictates that advancement in medicine costs money.
Who better to shoulder the burden, but the companies that benefit from the fruit of healthier employees?
To proceed as if H&W costs will ever "lower", is irresponsible.

Hoffa clearly stated in the letter you've referenced numerous times that "Taken together, these restrictions will make non-profit plans like ours unsustainable..."
The fact is point 1 and 2 of the letter do not apply to the members moving into the TeamCare plan under the UPS contract, so only point 3, with it's marginal impact, applies.

This letter in its entirety, coupled with the "Big Picture" of this concessionary contract, illustrates the gaping holes we are facing going forward if this Master is ever signed off on.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I forgot to mention that we need to remember that this is a multi-employer fund that will also be impacted by what happens at other companies that contribute to the fund.
The climate at many of these companies could very well culminate into exactly what Hoffa fears and InTheGame outlined as being the pit falls of the ACA.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
Who are you trying to kid, it's already happening, through attrition?
Full time employees aren't being replaced as it is, and the new single day vacation driver language in the Central Region Supplement is going to make full time opportunities even more scarce.

So is the company contributing the same amount of $ for a part time employee as they are for a full time employee to the Central States H&W fund?
Would these same part time employees be eligible for these "subsides" if this were not a TH plan.
Could this be a mirage for part time employees who think this to be a good thing, only to have the rug pulled out from under them when presented with ever increasing annual deductibles?
Part timers will be economically crippled with deductibles.

If overall H&W costs "lower", it will be the first thing that has happened under the ACA that was supposed to, and the first time it has lowered...ever?
Reality dictates that advancement in medicine costs money.
Who better to shoulder the burden, but the companies that benefit from the fruit of healthier employees?
To proceed as if H&W costs will ever "lower", is irresponsible.

This letter in its entirety, coupled with the "Big Picture" of this concessionary contract, illustrates the gaping holes we are facing going forward if this Master is ever signed off on.
I'm starting to think maybe you need a Xanax also.

Fighter

so whats going to happen after this 3rd vote. i am hearing different things.

1. strike vote is next. and looks like they will vote for a strike.
2. no strike. i hear that hoffa and hall will only have Ohio and Pennsylvania strike and not the rest of us.

isnt the third vote supposed to be a strike vote? can hoffa and hall tell only those two states to strike while the rest of the country works? what message does that send to ups if only those locals strike while the rest of us keep working? the union will fall apart, thats why we have a "union" to be united.

what are we all going to do.

if we do strike will the master get rewritten? thats what i really want anyway. my local passed the second vote. that makes me sick. all that i hear is that everyone wants their back pay. for some of them its just going to be a few dollars. to me its not worth it, all of the stuff that we are giving up only for a few pennies for a back pay check. in my opinion we lost a lot in medical and pension, i could care less about the raise. in this time and economy our benefits out weight the pay. especially since there is talk about the minimum wage increasing to $10 an hour. i think that we all work way harder then 3 times the minimum wage.

just my thoughts. please leave your read back and opinions positive or negative. i think that we all desirve more then what we are offered and getting. ups and the union leaders are all making too much out of this contract.

-just a tired and grumpy driver.
Here is some added food for thought. How many realize that you need to now work one day per week to keep your health insurance as opposed to one day per month previously?

Also, and this is a biggy, you have to work the day BEFORE a holiday to get paid for it. This really has a profound affect on New Years Eve and New Years Day since UPS cuts back to about one third of the work force from the last day before Christmas until after New Years day. This means that roughly 200,000 will not get paid for those two days meaning UPS will save 400,000 previously paid holidays. That will save the company around 102 MILLION DOLLARS. That is each year for the life of the contract. A yes vote handed UPS 1 Billion dollars! A continued no vote might change these at least in the locals that still negotiate and hold out on their supplements.

Stonefish

Here is some added food for thought. How many realize that you need to now work one day per week to keep your health insurance as opposed to one day per month previously?

Also, and this is a biggy, you have to work the day BEFORE a holiday to get paid for it. This really has a profound affect on New Years Eve and New Years Day since UPS cuts back to about one third of the work force from the last day before Christmas until after New Years day. This means that roughly 200,000 will not get paid for those two days meaning UPS will save 400,000 previously paid holidays. That will save the company around 102 MILLION DOLLARS. That is each year for the life of the contract. A yes vote handed UPS 1 Billion dollars! A continued no vote might change these at least in the locals that still negotiate and hold out on their supplements.

Need to be compensated a day in the week (vacation day, holiday, option day, etc...). Other than that why shouldn't someone have to work? Really.
Holiday is the day before or the day after which is how its been for years. Supplements may be different in other areas.
A continued no vote isn't going to change these things.