UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeah, :censored2: that. First helper I get this year - Waited for 30 mins for the :censored2: to show up . Called center after the first 15mins to see where he was. I end up leaveing meet point to get back on route. Center contacts helper and has him call me. I tell guy to meet me at this business up the road from our first meet point. I go to meet point and wait another 15 mins. I call dude and ask where the :censored2: he is. I find out he has been somewhere 30 mins away down the road- not even anywhere near the first meet point or area I specifically gave an address and directions to. Wasted an hour of my time.

I would have left him sitting there.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Yeah, :censored2: that. First helper I get this year - Waited for 30 mins for the :censored2: to show up . Called center after the first 15mins to see where he was. I end up leaveing meet point to get back on route. Center contacts helper and has him call me. I tell guy to meet me at this business up the road from our first meet point. I go to meet point and wait another 15 mins. I call dude and ask where the :censored2: he is. I find out he has been somewhere 30 mins away down the road- not even anywhere near the first meet point or area I specifically gave an address and directions to. Wasted an hour of my time.
My rule of thumb is if they are ten minutes late (a break), bye bye.

dqs95124

i have to go through 3 before I find a semi good one. Then lunch is on me. The worst was the heroine addict who wanted to show me his track marks. And he lived on the rt I was doing at the time so he had to go home for his "break" that lasted a day. I don't care what they do in their personal life. But a helper injury don't need.

haller

Driver had to keep me late last week, felt like 9 pm easily, was actually after 6. All i thought about was oh man i'm going to get shot.

jaker

trolling
I usually go though two , I don't ask a lot but you have to be a quick learner

If you don't have it down in two days I move on

Hah, that sounds like the inverse of what I had. It's my first time being a helper, and that morning I was given a meet time and location (twice, I called to get my assignment, and then they called later to tell me the same info). I showed up early, waited, meeting time comes and goes, no driver.

So I call the coordinator, he tells me he'll look into it, and then I wait some more. Over twenty minutes after the meet time, coordinator contacts me with a new meet time and location, the former being less than five minutes off. The location was close, but with me and the coordinator both not being familiar with the area, I end up being a bit late.

Thankfully the driver was quite friendly, but it was another delay on a day when he already had plenty of them, so I don't think that helped with my first impression.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Hah, that sounds like the inverse of what I had. It's my first time being a helper, and that morning I was given a meet time and location (twice, I called to get my assignment, and then they called later to tell me the same info). I showed up early, waited, meeting time comes and goes, no driver.

So I call the coordinator, he tells me he'll look into it, and then I wait some more. Over twenty minutes after the meet time, coordinator contacts me with a new meet time and location, the former being less than five minutes off. The location was close, but with me and the coordinator both not being familiar with the area, I end up being a bit late.

Thankfully the driver was quite friendly, but it was another delay on a day when he already had plenty of them, so I don't think that helped with my first impression.
Chaos and miscommunication are the rule rather than the exception during peak and if your driver has any experience at all he will understand. The bottom line is that you reported for work at the time and location you were instructed to so any blame would fall on the helper coordinator not you. I hope you got paid for all the time you spent waiting; you should not be penalized for someone elses failure to communicate.

JL 0513

I have a real winner this year. Hate to say it, but could we please discriminate against hiring helpers that are women in their 50's and up? Seriously? This is what I'm dealing with. A late 50's women that can't carry a 40 lb pkg. I'm not kidding. Has a hard time carrying 3 semi-light pkgs. Walks at the same speed I walk immediately have climbing out of bed. Every stop, all day. Goes up and down the steps like the near 60 year old woman she is. Sloooow and steady.

Certain jobs have certain requirements and she doesn't meet them. She had to have lied about her lifting abilities to get the job, right? As she walks away to each stop, I'm literally shaking my head in disbelief as she is imitating her Sunday stroll through a park.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I have a real winner this year. Hate to say it, but could we please discriminate against hiring helpers that are women in their 50's and up? Seriously? This is what I'm dealing with. A late 50's women that can't carry a 40 lb pkg. I'm not kidding. Has a hard time carrying 3 semi-light pkgs. Walks at the same speed I walk immediately have climbing out of bed. Every stop, all day. Goes up and down the steps like the near 60 year old woman she is. Sloooow and steady.

Certain jobs have certain requirements and she doesn't meet them. She had to have lied about her lifting abilities to get the job, right? As she walks away to each stop, I'm literally shaking my head in disbelief as she is imitating her Sunday stroll through a park.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Kick her to the curb and move onto the next one

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Dare I ask?

giphy-facebook_s.jpg
Oh brother

JL 0513

Kick her to the curb and move onto the next one

I'd like to but I guess I'm too nice. She does show up on time everyday and is desperate for money. Literally could only put $5 of gas in her car to get to work. She was panicking about having time to get to the bank to cash her first check. I doubt UPS would get rid of a much needed helper which just puts her with another driver. I'm too considerate for that. In the meantime, I'll just keep digging in the back waiting for her to get back to the car.

I'd like to but I guess I'm too nice. She does show up on time everyday and is desperate for money. Literally could only put $5 of gas in her car to get to work. She was panicking about having time to get to the bank to cash her first check. I doubt UPS would get rid of a much needed helper which just puts her with another driver. I'm too considerate for that. In the meantime, I'll just keep digging in the back waiting for her to get back to the car.
You know they don't pay the helpers a whole lot of money.

JL 0513

You know they don't pay the helpers a whole lot of money.

Of course. They are almost exclusively unemployed. That's why I'm not into "kicking them to the curb". I'm glad this year they are paying $100 bonus for those showing up all 5 days of the week this year. A big incentive for these people and better than an hourly pay raise.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Of course. They are almost exclusively unemployed. That's why I'm not into "kicking them to the curb". I'm glad this year they are paying $100 bonus for those showing up all 5 days of the week this year. A big incentive for these people and better than an hourly pay raise.
At least yours has a car. In my area, they're bussing them out from a homeless shelter in the city, feeding them breakfast and at the end of the day, feeding them dinner before bussing them back to the shelter. Lol.