9.5 Compromise

BoogaBooga

The Company and Union compromise is a waste of time, energy, and dollars.
Union employees want relief of excess overtime and the company wants to maximize profitability.
It is a flawed system that encourages conflict, wastes money by making unproductive meets with other drivers, and diverts resources to monitor finish times, and dispatches. Resources that should be concerned with Service and a stronger threat to ground deliveries by FedEx.

My suggestion: Eliminate 9.5 rule
1. Up to 40 hours- straight time; 40 to 45 hours- time and 1/2; 46 hours plus- double time.
(Would be some exceptions for Feeder and some very uncommon package routes)
2. November and December double time would not apply; along with week prior to Valentines
Day, Easter, Mothers Day, Fathers Day.
3. 8 hour requests would be changed to 9 hour requests. Automatic double time penalties.
4. New Driver progression would be hour based (not 4 years), reflecting better measurement of
Driving and delivering skills.
5. Full time raises would be cut 50% (sorry, but UPS will still pay) with 25% applied to pt time pay,
and 25% to reduce Retirees monthly healthcare premiums.

We need common sense good business decisions to counter a very shrewd Fred S.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I kind of like your hour based progression idea. Have each year equal to 2080 hours and include all paid-for-time. I didn't get nearly as much overtime my first two years as the drivers do now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I like all of your ideas except for the one where 25% of our FT raises would go to subsidize those who couldn't be bothered to financially plan for their retirement.

S

serenity now

not arguing for or against the proposal, but no one could have planned for the absurd increases in health care that have occurred over the last 25-30 years

Packmule

Union employees want relief of excess overtime and the company wants to maximize profitability.
It is a flawed system that encourages conflict, wastes money by making unproductive meets with other drivers, and diverts resources to monitor finish times, and dispatches. Resources that should be concerned with Service and a stronger threat to ground deliveries by FedEx.

1. Up to 40 hours- straight time; 40 to 45 hours- time and 1/2; 46 hours plus- double time.
2. November and December double time would not apply; along with week prior to Valentines
3. 8 hour requests would be changed to 9 hour requests. Automatic double time penalties.
4. New Driver progression would be hour based (not 4 years), reflecting better measurement of
5. Full time raises would be cut 50% (sorry, but UPS will still pay) with 25% applied to pt time pay,

I posted a simular idea way back before proposal meetings were held. at 10-5 I suggested it go from double to tripple time, something that would be there year round and never require confrontation. Yet, somehow, we ended up with another grievance based, 9-5 shell game that will do nothing but cause daily conflicts and company retaliation--I don't care what the contract language says. My guess is, guys trying to get on the new 9-5 list will be hammered 2 days, then told under no circumstances go over 9-5 the other 3. If you do, it will be warning letters, etc, for failing to work as directed. As you said, it will lead to an endless waste of time with phone calls and driver meets to get someone off the clock.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I posted a simular idea way back before proposal. meetings were held. at 10-5 I suggested it go from double to tripple time, something that would be there year round and never require confrontation. Yet, somehow, we ended up with another grievance based, 9-5 shell game that will do nothing but cause daily conflicts and company retaliation--I don't care what the contract language says. My guess is, guys trying to get on the new 9-5 list will be hammered 2 days, then told under no circumstances go over 9-5 the other 3. If you do, it will be warning letters, etc, for failing to work as directed. As you said, it will lead to an endless waste of time with phone calls and driver meets to get someone off the clock.
Exactly what will happen. Should be automatic double time after 9.5 for each day. Not just after the 3rd. As it is will not change a thing

If this was in the TA and past. It would be a hot chick that is bipolar. Looks good at first but to many problems.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Double or triple time does not serve the purpose of reducing overtime. Being able to stop and come in under 9.5 no matter what the dispatch is the only thing that would work. Problem is one mans 10 hour day is another mans 8.

stink219

Double or triple time does not serve the purpose of reducing overtime. Being able to stop and come in under 9.5 no matter what the dispatch is the only thing that would work. Problem is one mans 10 hour day is another mans 8.
100% correct. Another issue I have with UPS's "paid day" is their ignorance to using weight of packages. In the simplest calculation for work the calculation is J=NxD. Joules = Newton(weight) x Distance. So a box that is 14lbs carried 30 feet is 420 joules or units of work. If you deliver a box that is 65lbs to the same place, the units of work would be 1950 joules. Yet at UPS, 15 envelopes will give the same time allowance as 15 60lbs packages at the same stop. However, UPS makes money by charging customers for the weight of a package and where it is going. Notice how that is the reverse calculation? Newton(weight) x Distance = $$$$$.
UPS pays good money to theses execs that analyze numbers. Imagine if they employed a physics major?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
The way they figure out your planned day is bs. The numbers are made to work against the drivers and everybody knows it. Their fake kinda like santa claus and the tooth fairy lol. Their all fabricated. How are u supposed to have any kind of consistency when every day you have a different dispatch and sometimes have a different loader every day. I could care less about the numbers. I go out and do my job the way its supposed to be done and take my lunch when im done. Itll be what itll be who cares about the numbers. The mind set I have mon-fri is as soon as I get out of bed in the morning and my feet hit the floor my day is over that's the reality. I gave up trying to have a life during the week a long long time ago. My mission now is to rock these mofos to sleep every night and put that ching ching in my pocket. More money in my pocket and more money in my 401k. 14 more years of my prison sentence left lol.

Ill pass.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I posted a simular idea way back before proposal meetings were. held. at 10-5 I suggested it go from double to tripple time, something that would be there year round and never require confrontation. Yet, somehow, we ended up with another grievance based, 9-5 shell game that will do nothing but cause daily conflicts and company retaliation--I don't care what the contract language says. My guess is, guys trying to get on the new 9-5 list will be hammered 2 days, then told under no circumstances go over 9-5 the other 3. If you do, it will be warning letters, etc, for failing to work as directed. As you said, it will lead to an endless waste of time with phone calls and driver meets to get someone off the clock.

100% correct. Another issue I have with UPS's "paid day" is their ignorance to using weight of packages. In the simplest calculation for work the calculation is J=NxD. Joules = Newton(weight) x Distance. So a box that is 14lbs carried 30 feet is 420 joules or units of work. If you deliver a box that is 65lbs to the same place, the units of work would be 1950 joules. Yet at UPS, 15 envelopes will give the same time allowance as 15 60lbs packages at the same stop. However, UPS makes money by charging customers for the weight of a package and where it is going. Notice how that is the reverse calculation? Newton(weight) x Distance = $$$$$.
UPS pays good money to theses execs that analyze numbers. Imagine if they employed a physics major?

My problem with this is in our center anyways. Is, it's always the same 5 guys out late night after night. While their fabs get back in 8 hrs or less. Is there a way to get rid of a dispatch sup for favortism

iruhnman630

+9.5 days should be the exception, not the rule.

Double time over 9.5, with an opt-out list for those who want the hours.

​Problem solved.

Overpaid Union Thug

I posted a simular idea way back before proposal meetings were. held. at 10-5 I suggested it go from double to tripple time, something that would be there year round and never require confrontation. Yet, somehow, we ended up with another grievance based, 9-5 shell game that will do nothing but cause daily conflicts and company retaliation--I don't care what the contract language says. My guess is, guys trying to get on the new 9-5 list will be hammered 2 days, then told under no circumstances go over 9-5 the other 3. If you do, it will be warning letters, etc, for failing to work as directed. As you said, it will lead to an endless waste of time with phone calls and driver meets to get someone off the clock.

My problem with this is in our center anyways. Is, it's always the same 5 guys out late night after night. While their fabs get back in 8 hrs or less. Is there a way to get rid of a dispatch sup for favortism

Our problem is the numerous drivers that want (more like need) 10 hours or more everyday. Throw in the three or four that have 8 hour requests, those of us on the 9.5 list, and the never ending curse of the stops per car metric, and its probably a nightmare for the dispatch supervisor.

BoogaBooga

With this contract proposal, a 9.5 day is what we are agreeing to. That is around a 47.5 hour work week.
This equates to forced overtime, and no work hour reduction.