Accidents

ismaili

Or, were you just brought in to go through the accident online packet, entering details of the accident, filling in the prevention report with a supervisor, taking the CBTs related to hitting a tree branch etc.???

Ah yes..... all the value added training we are going to do over a $1.25 mirror. Everyone one is going to take something away from this. :wink2::wink2::wink2:
they tried to do the give me the online packed but the webside was down

packageguy

I was charged with avoidable accident today.Hit a tree branch and broke the mirror. How long does this stay in a record.

back when I first started that was bring the truck to the shop, be careful next time don't let it happen again. now it's a warning later. It stays with you forever in your folder, same with injuries.

brownIEman

Stop with the warning letter stuff!

Both of the posters on this thread who talked about breaking their mirrors have explicitly stated they were not issued discipline. Of any kind.

Why do you feel the need to cry out in righteous anger against the injustice of warning letters that were never issued?!?

jeebus...

menotyou

bella amicizia
Just because he hasn't received one, doesn't mean they aren't issued. Stop with the issuing of frivolous warning letters, and we won't have to post about it.

Packmule

We had a homeowner who didn't want to shovel his driveway, come blasting out of his garage, backing through a snowdrift, and fly into the street, clipping the back bumper of our driver. He was charged with a tier two accident and put on a working termination status for 2 months, pending the outcome of a union hearing. Simultaneously, (and I'm not making this up,) our center manager was caught sneaking into the building at night, doctoring timecards, stealing peoples' overtime, and he got a one week suspension cause he was buddies with the division manager at the time. On and on, I can share stories like this that would curl your hair.
Our driver did get back on, but can you imagine the stress??

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Stop with the warning letter stuff!

Both of the posters on this thread who talked about breaking their mirrors have explicitly stated they were not issued discipline. Of any kind.

Why do you feel the need to cry out in righteous anger against the injustice of warning letters that were never issued?!?

jeebus...

I broke a mirror last year and I was issued a warning letter.

I'm OK with that, but it would be nice if the company could come up with some sort of a rational and consistent definition of what actually constitutes an "accident".

Ideally, there would be four tiers instead of three in the accident classification system, with the "tier one" category being designated for "accidents" such as broken mirrors, scratches, broken tree limbs, tire marks on grass etc. that (a) involve total damage of less than $50 and (b) do not involve intersections or contact of any kind with another moving vehicle. Such occurences are fundamentally different in principle than intersection accidents or other legitimate traffic accidents.

Yes I know we need to be alert and maintain the highest standards of professional driving, but it is intellectually defunct to mention a cracked mirror in the same sentence as running over a child. Some common sense on the part of the company would go a long way towards helping us as drivers to take the companys safety programs seriously.

PS...I personally know 4 Circle of Honor drivers in my building who broke multiple mirrors throughout their driving career and were not charged with accidents.

brownIEman

Just because he hasn't received one, doesn't mean they aren't issued. Stop with the issuing of frivolous warning letters, and we won't have to post about it.

Done.

I do not issue frivolous warning letters.

Been ordered to a couple times, yet somehow something always seemed to fall through or get missed in the process, preventing them from going out.

Weird that.

brownIEman

I broke a mirror last year and I was issued a warning letter.

I'm OK with that, but it would be nice if the company could come up with some sort of a rational and consistent definition of what actually constitutes an "accident".

Ideally, there would be four tiers instead of three in the accident classification system, with the "tier one" category being designated for "accidents" such as broken mirrors, scratches, broken tree limbs, tire marks on grass etc. that (a) involve total damage of less than $50 and (b) do not involve intersections or contact of any kind with another moving vehicle. Such occurences are fundamentally different in principle than intersection accidents or other legitimate traffic accidents.

Yes I know we need to be alert and maintain the highest standards of professional driving, but it is intellectually defunct to mention a cracked mirror in the same sentence as running over a child. Some common sense on the part of the company would go a long way towards helping us as drivers to take the companys safety programs seriously.

PS...I personally know 4 Circle of Honor drivers in my building who broke multiple mirrors throughout their driving career and were not charged with accidents.

I can agree with this.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Done.

Been ordered to a couple times, yet somehow something always seemed to fall through or get missed in the process, preventing them from going out.

Weird that.

I have had some truly decent on-car sups who, when instructed by a center manager or DM to issue what they felt were unwarranted/bogus warning letters, would comply with those instructions by conveniently "forgetting" to actually hand the letter to the employee until 11 days had passed since the incident, thereby rendering the letter totally invalid for any future discipline due to being untimely.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Done.

Weird that.

Thats freeky, the same thing happened to me.........

nocturnalbuck

One day I was followed by our center manager. Of course i didn't know and I backed into a driveway that was probably 150ft long. As I was leaving the driveway he was standing at the end of the driveway with his arms folded across his chest and his face beat red. I thought, "oh *****, I'm screwed" Well he made a huge scene in this quiet neighborhood hollering and threatened me several times, said we were gonna have a sit down with the union rep and gonna issue warning letter. He asked how long I thought the driveway was, I guessed 100ft, and that really pissed him off. At the time, I didn't know about a 100ft back rule.
Well long story short, I never heard another peep outta this and he no longer works with us due to harassment. (No, I never filed a complaint either, I was too scared) Btw, all I did was back, no accident or crash -nothing

brown bomber

brown bomber
it used to be..."let the truck do the work", therefore back or get as close to the delivery point as possible

also a broken mirror used to be a cost of doing business, it was treated as an incident....it was the same as hitting a dog running loose in the neighborhood

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Maybe I just don't care anymore but getting charged with some BS crap like this wouldn't bother me. Whats the guy gunna miss, a laminated certificate that rivals that of a 5 year old kids graduation from kindergarten? I guess the more UPS gets frivolous, the less I care about it. I respect the old timers that got into the circle of honors without having to put up with the BS like this. Nowadays it's more on how well you did on a report as to your worth and the ability to have them stay off your back, piss on that.