after 18 years of service i was terminated today

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There are only so many hours in a day. Are you suggesting management should spend all their time looking at and working with the best performers? That would be a great way to run a company. Straight into the ground.
You say this knowing full well that weenies in I.E. are paid to compare the telematics data to reality, compare DVIR milage to actual, paid to do this and that.

The ones in I.E. and otw who are paid to spend all of their time to do these things SHOULD be doing these things, but they're probably spent sitting in an AC office surfing the web and texting. That sounds more like running a company into the ground.

tourists24

and not to mention the hypocrisy in being ok with allowing drivers to enter a lunch and work through it. Then turn around and insist on making someone stay at the center in so they can record it honestly

brownIEman

You say this knowing full well that weenies in I.E. are paid to compare the telematics data to reality, compare DVIR milage to actual, paid to do this and that.

The ones in I.E. and otw who are paid to spend all of their time to do these things SHOULD be doing these things, but they're probably spent sitting in an AC office surfing the web and texting. That sounds more like running a company into the ground.

I spent a couple years in IE. I still talk with IE folks regularly. I can honestly tell you that I do not know anyone in IE with the job description you give. I will act like most drivers on this site when I have the audacity to ask questions relating to performance. You speak about what IE should be doing and insult them in what you think they are doing. So, how much time did you spend in IE?

brownIEman

and not to mention the hypocrisy in being ok with allowing drivers to enter a lunch and work through it. Then turn around and insist on making someone stay at the center in so they can record it honestly

actually, if you read closely, the OP is likely a runner gunner and the center is likely trying to force him to start actually take his lunch... so the effort in the OP's center is trying to level things out as you are asking for...

Catatonic

Nine Lives

actually, if you read closely, the OP is likely a runner gunner and the center is likely trying to force him to start actually take his lunch... so the effort in the OP's center is trying to level things out as you are asking for...

Just as I thought, it's Tour's fault again.

You would think he would learned after a while.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I spent a couple years in IE. I still talk with IE folks regularly. I can honestly tell you that I do not know anyone in IE with the job description you give. I will act like most drivers on this site when I have the audacity to ask questions relating to performance. You speak about what IE should be doing and insult them in what you think they are doing. So, how much time did you spend in IE?

What is it, on occasions, that affords you the "audacity" to ask questions relating to performance.
Drivers like me have no insight into your IE world.
Thank you for again for your candor.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
OK, but you would still have to print the delivery records and compare the two.

Our OMS takes care of situations like this for us. She holds the DIADs for those who do not want to take their lunches in the building and will punch them out after 45 minutes. Yeah, I know it's not right, but who wants to sit for 45 minutes.

Jesus, what makes people think they are above the rules? Good way to get fired, ask Klein!! Technically those people are still on the clock. Granted it is a lunch period but they are still considered on UPS time. Secondly, how many ore teamster jobs could be added if people took their lunch as prescribed in the contract? only take 9 people to skip a lunch and thats one more route. I keep hearing about how the company is cutting routes and increasing hours worked and yet there are still people out there doing this ****!!

rama'nfeeders

come on bro you should have taken your meal when the contract says1 I SUPPORT YOU FIGHTING FOR YOU']

DO NOT LEAVE! THIS COMPANY WANTS U TO QUIT, BUT DONT GIVE THEM THE SATISFACTION! tAKE THE SPANKING EVENTHOUGH ITS BS AND KEEP ON WORKING IT A SAFE SMART MANNER!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Jesus, what makes people think they are above the rules? Good way to get fired, ask Klein!! Technically those people are still on the clock. Granted it is a lunch period but they are still considered on UPS time. Secondly, how many ore teamster jobs could be added if people took their lunch as prescribed in the contract? only take 9 people to skip a lunch and thats one more route. I keep hearing about how the company is cutting routes and increasing hours worked and yet there are still people out there doing this *http://bc1.styleanddesign.netdna-

cdn.com/forum/images/smilies/group1/censored2.gifhttp://bc1.styleanddesign.netdna-

cdn.com/forum/images/smilies/group1/censored2.gifhttp://bc1.styleanddesign.netdna-

cdn.com/forum/images/smilies/group1/censored2.gif!!

We only get 1 /2 hour for lunch. If all 40 of us took our full lunch, we would have 40 guys working 30 minutes later. We are a bonus center so it's moot anyway.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Just eliminate the forced lunch. If a guy codes 5 minutes, don't pay him for 5 minutes. It's just a fairy tale that more routes will be added if everyone takes a full lunch.
If everyone takes a lunch, every day, all of those businesses that are being delivered by skipping lunch or taking end of day lunch, will no longer be delivered on time. To say that this would not have an effect on workload, and dispatch, I just do not think is possible.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I don't see how I insulted anyone in particular. The people in I.E. that I have known, and knew, are not particularly hard workers and they certainly waste time on the job. Thankfully, I have not worked in any UPS management position, I'm overqualified. :D What I learn comes from talking to those people and witnessing them.

I talked directly with someone in i.e. who's function, in part, was to dissect an entire buildings DIAD start/end mileage, with actual from telematics. That's what he told me, anyway.

For ex, the time an i.e. doll came in to perform a time study. She wanted to leave an hour early on a Friday, and asked me to finish the study for her. Does that resemble responsibility and hard-work?

So exactly how much time does one need to spend in I.E. to get a gist of their job functions and how important their functions are to the company?

5th Wheel

how true. if you don't take lunch and scratch the will add more stops

OK, but you would still have to print the delivery records and compare the two.

Our OMS takes care of situations like this for us. She holds the DIADs for those who do not want to take their lunches in the building and will punch them out after 45 minutes. Yeah, I know it's not right, but who wants to sit for 45 minutes.

Jesus, what makes people think they are above the rules? Good way to get fired, ask Klein!! Technically those people are still on the clock. Granted it is a lunch period but they are still considered on UPS time. Secondly, how many ore teamster jobs could be added if people took their lunch as prescribed in the contract? only take 9 people to skip a lunch and thats one more route. I keep hearing about how the company is cutting routes and increasing hours worked and yet there are still people out there doing this ****!!

Indecisi0n

If everyone takes a lunch, every day, all of those businesses that are being delivered by skipping lunch or taking end of day lunch, will no longer be delivered on time. To say that this would not have an effect on workload, and dispatch, I just do not think is possible.

This was my thur messages:
Me: Need help on businesses. They will not be completed on time.
Office: We don't have anyone to help you with business. You are approved not to take a lunch and to get it done.
Me: (laughs) I am taking my full lunch starting at 2:00PM no matter if i have business left or not then pickups start at 3:00PM. Business will be missed.
Office: We are sending XXXXX over to help you.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
This is most certainly about an unpaid lunch break.
The period and time where he was to take his contractual lunch break had come and gone.
The company does not have the right to tell him to take his lunch break, after having worked 12+hrs, if he had not taken it during the prescribed contractual time frame.
By doing so they are entering into an extra-contractual agreement with the employee.
The company does have the right to give him a warning letter and enact progressive discipline for future infractions.
This is a joke and will amount to nothing in regards to the discharge.
It is designed to intimidate the driver and his peers.
What it will amount to, for the driver, is lo$t wage$.
He will get his job back with no back pay in due time.
How many days pay will it cost him???

In the end, the company, grievance panel or arbitrator will give him his job back.
I have no doubt.
I'm betting my money on him excepting an offer from the company to reduce the discharge to a suspension, time served at the local level hearing.
The hearing will probably be on Monday to put the driver on ice over the weekend.
It will consume him for 4 days and he wont think twice before excepting the deal.
Who could blame him?
It would be my advice to do just that.
In this case the company carries very little liability in the form of back pay.
So fortitude will only get him more time off.
Sad, but true.
Conversely, I'm not sure having the right to skip lunch is worth fighting for.

Although if he had employment insurance, he could sit back and enjoy his time off, take the deal and not incur loss wages.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Everyone at UPS has a boss that is "monitoring" them.
There are reports on all PC usage (on the road and in the office).
I know it makes you and others make these kind of comments so I just read and smile.
I miss the days when my grandson would do similar things but alas, he is 12 now and above that.

QKRSTKR

This was my thur messages:
Me: Need help on businesses. They will not be completed on time.
Office: We don't have anyone to help you with business. You are approved not to take a lunch and to get it done.
Me: (laughs) I am taking my full lunch starting at 2:00PM no matter if i have business left or not then pickups start at 3:00PM. Business will be missed.
Office: We are sending XXXXX over to help you.

This is just about perfect. The only thing I would do different is tell them after I'm done with lunch. We had a guy do this and the center manager told him not to take a lunch till his business s are del. Because then your in the classic work as directed and grev. the fact he told u not to take lunch b4 business s were done.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Everyone at UPS has a boss that is "monitoring" them.
There are reports on all PC usage (on the road and in the office).
I know it makes you and others make these kind of comments so I just read and smile.
I miss the days when my grandson would do similar things but alas, he is 12 now and above that.
Yes, he is so far ahead of any Teamster. I'm smiling at your comment, too.