Am I gettin' got?

R

RuralRoute

So I was hired on at a medium-sized station after leaving my former ramp last summer. When I started, the big wave of old heads retiring was in full effect, opening up several routes. Management decided to "reorganize" the routes to condensed versions in an attempt to keep new hires at a minimum. As a result, I was trained on several routes and caught on to them quickly. I was thinking of using this to my advantage in the future when a swing driver job comes up. I have a set route--- sort of.

When a driver is needed on a route, I'm usually the go-to. But lately I've been thinking... I'm doing the job of a swing driver, but only as a regular courier.

Am I "getting got" by management? I feel as if I should be made a swing driver since I technically AM doing swing duties, which is supposed to include a buck and some change extra an hour.

I'm fully aware of the infamous catch all "operational needs", but am I being thrown for a loop so management can save some cash?

What do yall think?

overflowed

I've seen many that want the hours and will do anything for them. That's not your job though. If that's the job you want they need to pay for it.

overflowed

What are swings getting paid extra now? Last I heard 1.30 more. So you are losing $2500 a year based on 40 hr work week. That's getting got.

R

RuralRoute

That's about the average as far as I know, depending on the region/market.
Wow, the math really puts a whole new perspective on this. Talk about a wake up call.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
So I was hired on at a medium-sized station after leaving my former ramp last summer. When I started, the big wave of old heads retiring was in full effect, opening up several routes. Management decided to "reorganize" the routes to condensed versions in an attempt to keep new hires at a minimum. As a result, I was trained on several routes and caught on to them quickly. I was thinking of using this to my advantage in the future when a swing driver job comes up. I have a set route--- sort of.

When a driver is needed on a route, I'm usually the go-to. But lately I've been thinking... I'm doing the job of a swing driver, but only as a regular courier.

Am I "getting got" by management? I feel as if I should be made a swing driver since I technically AM doing swing duties, which is supposed to include a buck and some change extra an hour.

I'm fully aware of the infamous catch all "operational needs", but am I being thrown for a loop so management can save some cash?

What do yall think?

Yes! In the words of P. T. Barnum... 'There's a sucker born every minute'. FedEx management knows this, and uses it to their advantage. Don't let them use you. This has nothing to do with "operational needs".

DRAisawesome

Bid on the next open swing position. Be careful tho. You will have to work any shift including evenings and Saturdays. Now it sounds like you just cover normal route sick calls and they jockey you around to plug the holes. Also your local management isnt held to a salary standard to keep people under.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Bid on the next open swing position. Be careful tho. You will have to work any shift including evenings and Saturdays. Now it sounds like you just cover normal route sick calls and they jockey you around to plug the holes. Also your local management isnt held to a salary standard to keep people under.

Swings have never worked Saturdays at any stations I've been at.

dezguy

Don't feel bad. You're not the first employee management has taken advantage of and you certainly won't be the last. At least you're not a casual. Those poor suckers do the job of a swing and get paid at least $3 less than starting wage.

Serf

To echo the overall sentiment; Yes you got, got. I work at a larger station and basically all the couriers act a swing drivers, as they are all trained on multiple routes. Our actual swing drivers are struggling to even hit 40 hours and are essentially just there for other couriers who are sick or on vacation. Hell, we even have Shuttle Drivers that actually make deliveries...(they aren't receiving courier pay or swing driver pay!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
To echo the overall sentiment; Yes you got, got. I work at a larger station and basically all the couriers act a swing drivers, as they are all trained on multiple routes. Our actual swing drivers are struggling to even hit 40 hours and are essentially just there for other couriers who are sick or on vacation. Hell, we even have Shuttle Drivers that actually make deliveries...(they aren't receiving courier pay or swing driver pay!

Why? Why are y'all allowing this?

bbsam

Staff member
Lol. You're over thinking my question. I meant, why are they allowing themselves to be used as cover drivers.

What is WAGN?
Because who's there to back them up? The company will use them however they want and if they don't like it, GTFO. Or do you still believe in the company sponsored dispute resolution process?

WAGN = We're All Ground Now

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Because who's there to back them up? The company will use them however they want and if they don't like it, GTFO. Or do you still believe in the company sponsored dispute resolution process?

WAGN = We're All Ground Now

Hell no I don't believe in the GFT process. It's a joke. I DO, however, believe in standing up for yourself. It's kept me from getting screwed over for many years now. Management leaves me alone. Life is good. :)

And yes, WAGN.

Purplepackage

Unless it's in the offer letter swings don't work Saturdays (unless it's peak) management tried to tell a few swings they would have to work Saturday to get there guaranteed hours and all it took was 1 call to HR and all of a sudden they had 40 hours that week.

of course in a small station generally we don't have most of the issues that a lot of you guys run into

Purplepackage

Good question. With the exception of the very senior guys, who just come in do a day route and want to get home before 3. EVERYONE is doing this. Just the way it is.

Home before 3? With the exception of Saturday's I don't even think our part timers get home before 3. Getting off road between 5-6 is the normal thing at my station