Another Day Where I'm Done "5 Hours Early"

MAKAVELI

No, Ground isn't that slow up here in Maine .. but I just like to point out to the *******s who say we're out until all hours of the night, that no, we aren't .. at least I'm not .. that's all I pretty much care about!
If if you are done and home and have mowed the lawn by 3 I would say yes your slow.

HomeDelivery

we had a late trailer... forced us to wait for it so everyone had a late dispatch

11 hour on-duty w/ 7 hour on-the-road time... done by 2030

​it is what it is...

HomeDelivery

Who are grounds dispatchers and are they employed by the company or independent contractors?

that's not their proper label, but it's fedex managers that are doing the dispatching...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok, fun Sat... i had to be a "manager" and juggle 10 drivers for the contractor on Sat.

i look at their routes and make sure to "flex" stops from one to the other so a driver won't be slammed & can get home at a decent time by at least 1800

then go through the settlements & make the drivers sign them & collect the signed status door tags

follow up on claims/disputes & make sure the drivers will attempt to recall the details of those stops

see if there are any vehicle problems during the pre-trip inspections & call for a rental if needed or the terminal mechanic for a quick fix (nothing today ~ whew!)

good thing my brother was finished from his warehouse job at a nearby ups location; i called him in to drop by and scan/load/sort my boxes to my own route while i was doing all this... got on the road by 0830!

long dead-head time to the service area 1.5 hours & almost 2 hours of return-to-base driving time (all unpaid! yay!)

7 hours on-road service time, so that wasn't bad. but coming in at 0430 to juggle all that crap before i had to go out and do my own route sucks for $165 gross

clocked out at 2000

should i have asked the contractor for more?

PS: my brother from UPS after he saw how easy it was on a HD terminal vs his UPS terminal

the package handlers were getting more $ at team purple & he saw how easy it was for them to just dump the boxes on a pallet vs ups / ground loading the vehicles

DontThrowPackages

that's not their proper label, but it's fedex managers that are doing the dispatching...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

......................................PS: my brother from UPS after he saw how easy it was on a HD terminal vs his UPS terminal

the package handlers were getting more $ at team purple & he saw how easy it was for them to just dump the boxes on a pallet vs ups / ground loading the vehicles

Tell your brother to stick with it over there. Believe me, once he's a driver he'll work hard but will be in a better situation than anyone here.

HomeDelivery

0430 start, 2000 punchout all of the grand total of $165 before taxes?! 165/15.5=$10.65/hr.

Yes, you should have asked your contractor for more.

yea, 0430 start of my "manager" status... 0830am start as a driver, so i won't go over my 14 hour limit. I shall see on tues if he will give me a "bonus pay"

--------------------------------------------
Tell your brother to stick with it over there. Believe me, once he's a driver he'll work hard but will be in a better situation than anyone here.

I don't know if he wants to become i driver; i asked him about it & he said it's a loooooooooong waiting time ~ over 6 years at least.

when he saw how laid-back the warehouse workers were doing vs how the ups terminal was being run like a sweat-shop, he was considering the switch... but i told him that you have better bennies and a union to back you up against dumb &/or crappy management

-----------------

i was gonna make him be a runner, just to show him how much easier HD is vs a UPS or Express / Ground driver... but he'll pass out since he was up since 2200 from the previous night shift

i'm also thinking about becoming a ups peak season driver & have to ask him if they will be hiring off-the-street guys

i know of one that successfully made it from HD to UPS. a few others tried it but couldn't juggle those different service times, then pickups. maybe if the routing software for that company will be up to par w/ HD's, it may become another box-monkey drone job over there as well!

DontThrowPackages

I know it may seem like a long time, and from the outside it is, but when you think of a HD/GD or EX making 25-35k per year and a brown driver(the one I talk to) making over 80k, you'll see its worth the wait.

sjh

ok, fun Sat... i had to be a "manager" and juggle 10 drivers for the contractor on Sat.

i look at their routes and make sure to "flex" stops from one to the other so a driver won't be slammed & can get home at a decent time by at least 1800

then go through the settlements & make the drivers sign them & collect the signed status door tags

follow up on claims/disputes & make sure the drivers will attempt to recall the details of those stops

see if there are any vehicle problems during the pre-trip inspections & call for a rental if needed or the terminal mechanic for a quick fix (nothing today ~ whew!)

good thing my brother was finished from his warehouse job at a nearby ups location; i called him in to drop by and scan/load/sort my boxes to my own route while i was doing all this... got on the road by 0830!

long dead-head time to the service area 1.5 hours & almost 2 hours of return-to-base driving time (all unpaid! yay!)

7 hours on-road service time, so that wasn't bad. but coming in at 0430 to juggle all that crap before i had to go out and do my own route sucks for $165 gross

clocked out at 2000

should i have asked the contractor for more?

PS: my brother from UPS after he saw how easy it was on a HD terminal vs his UPS terminal

I find it amusing that you and your brother both work for delivery companies. Don't know why.

We have a guy who does exactly what you do and when he manages, we make sure he isn't on the road past 12pm-1pm if we can help it. It doesn't make sense to have a guy "manage" who isn't also left available to back up any other drivers or be moderator for the terminal. Are you contact for terminal if any of the other drivers have address corrections, pulled stops, reattempts, etc?

How we used to do it is give him his base pay of, plus $1.?? per stop over 73 (I think that's his...its different for every driver), plus "management pay" for days he is on call like that. Now we have it figured into his pay that he is scheduled to run a minimum number of dispatches. But again, if he's running dispatch in the morning (which you're right, it requires going in earlier to flex routes and stay till nearly everyone is closed out) he is guaranteed a light day with the expectation that he is on call until everyone is closed out, OR if he has to be out for a full day (which is extremely rare) he is justly compensated.

If that was your literal schedule, you should request extra payment for the management portion.

Also, not sure what your state's pay requirements are, but in CA your compensation should average out to minimum wage for the first 8 hours, and overtime pay for anything over. The math on that is $154. Meaning you barely squeaked in at just above minimum wage for that day. If you're the kind of worker your contractor is going to use to manage the mornings, you should be getting paid more to do it. Just my thought.

HomeDelivery

We have a guy who does exactly what you do and when he manages, we make sure he isn't on the road past 12pm-1pm if we can help it. It doesn't make sense to have a guy "manage" who isn't also left available to back up any other drivers or be moderator for the terminal. Are you contact for terminal if any of the other drivers have address corrections, pulled stops, reattempts, etc?

this contractor's drivers are all good eggs; we back each other up when one is in trouble. For example, one had an injury & 4 of us went to split up the rest of his workload & made service. another is when i was done at 1500, i would call on the 2 neighboring service area drivers if they need help before i clock out... FedEx management usually will call the drivers directly if there are any problems with a code 03 or a possible reattempt.

How we used to do it is give him his base pay of, plus $1.?? per stop over 73 (I think that's his...its different for every driver), plus "management pay" for days he is on call like that. Now we have it figured into his pay that he is scheduled to run a minimum number of dispatches. But again, if he's running dispatch in the morning (which you're right, it requires going in earlier to flex routes and stay till nearly everyone is closed out) he is guaranteed a light day with the expectation that he is on call until everyone is closed out, OR if he has to be out for a full day (which is extremely rare) he is justly compensated.

i wasn't guaranteed a light day since i'm also a cover/swing driver & i already promised the other contractor that i'll make service on his area that saturday.

If that was your literal schedule, you should request extra payment for the management portion.

hopefully, he'll agree that i deserve an extra bonus for that short-notice management duty i had to pull... if it wasn't for my brother, i wouldn't have got out of the terminal until 10AM & would have clocked out at 2230 hours

Also, not sure what your state's pay requirements are, but in CA your compensation should average out to minimum wage for the first 8 hours, and overtime pay for anything over. The math on that is $154. Meaning you barely squeaked in at just above minimum wage for that day. If you're the kind of worker your contractor is going to use to manage the mornings, you should be getting paid more to do it. Just my thought.

ours is OT for after 40 hours, but since the minimum wage is so low, i'm still making above that rate when i'm working 10-12 hours a day

i already told him that i don't want that position; it's his corp, not mine to run.

​i'd make an exemption this time because his right hand man & the left hand man were both out at the same time. he was always flexible with my start times w/ my varying schedule for my kids & it's time to return the favor, but not at a reduced pay rate

HomeDelivery

well isn't this special; my reward was 45 more stops & i didn't finish until 2215 hours... now i can't go in early today to start working (the 10-hour DOT rule ~ rest period)

one of his drivers did a no-call no-show as well; guess he likes a revolving-door if that's how he treats his workers

sjh

well isn't this special; my reward was 45 more stops & i didn't finish until 2215 hours... now i can't go in early today to start working (the 10-hour DOT rule ~ rest period)

one of his drivers did a no-call no-show as well; guess he likes a revolving-door if that's how he treats his workers

That sucks. My opinion is that disrespect eventually comes back and bites you in the...