Another Look At D-Day

wkmac

The tone was set in Antony's Beevor's new book, D-Day, which tries to debunk certain received ideas about the Allied campaign.
Far from being an unmitigated success, Mr Beevor found, the landings came very close to going horribly wrong.
And far from being universally welcomed as liberators, many troops had a distinctly surly reception from the people of Normandy.
The reason for this was simple. Many Normandy towns and villages had been literally obliterated by Allied bombing.
Revisionists Challenge D-Day Story

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I trust that you realize that this particular article was published at the 65th anniversary. Today we celebrated the 75th. Granted allied troops were not exactly good little boys over there. Then again back then life was cheap.
LMFAO
I trust that you realize that wkmac's post you replied to was from 8 years ago.

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
They aren't called the Greatest Generation for nothing! Marched/sailed into just about certain death to squash an EVIL regime. God had his hand on the allied forces.

bacha29

They aren't called the Greatest Generation for nothing! Marched/sailed into just about certain death to squash an EVIL regime. God had his hand on the allied forces.
Had an uncle one of 3 brothers who were in WWII and was the only one willing to talk opening about the war. Believe me there were no saints in the allied army in either theatre of operations. This was total war which killed more than 70 million.

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
Had an uncle one of 3 brothers who were in WWII and was the only one willing to talk opening about the war. Believe me there were no saints in the allied army in either theatre of operations. This was total war which killed more than 70 million.
Kill or be killed. War is hell.

newfie

I never thought about it but I think the requirements to fight a war do not call for participation by saints? I don't understand your posts here. You liberals claim to despise hitler and Nazism. D day was the battle that turned the tide to accomplishing the destruction of the evils of Nazism . why muddy the waters on this by speaking to the character of those who vanquished that evil?