applying for an amazon position

It will be fine

Looks like Amazon is opening a new DC a couple blocks from the Memphis hub. They just applied for a tax PILOT and plan to hire 600 people. That might hurt staffing in the Memphis Fedex station, you'll be fighting for the same people.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Looks like Amazon is opening a new DC a couple blocks from the Memphis hub. They just applied for a tax PILOT and plan to hire 600 people. That might hurt staffing in the Memphis Fedex station, you'll be fighting for the same people.

The KoolAid is strong in Memphis. Very strong. Ain't going to be much of a fight between the two.

Over disciplined0123

Why is a billion dollar company applying for a tax pilot There are some serious problems in our government for allowing that

It will be fine

Why is a billion dollar company applying for a tax pilot There are some serious problems in our government for allowing that
Payment-in-lieu-of-tax. Amazon plans on investing $72 mil to purchase and develop the land. 600 jobs is significant and will produce economic development. If Memphis doesn't help Amazon, someone else will. Not that I agree with it, it's not like Amazon needs the money, but it's reality.

bacha29

Not yet. There was an article on Google News yesterday about how such a place might ruin a city.
Earlier today CNBC released the list of the 100 cities still in the running for the HQ . New York and Atlanta considered to be the leading candidates but Cincinnati won't go without a fight.

It will be fine

Earlier today CNBC released the list of the 100 cities still in the running for the HQ . New York and Atlanta considered to be the leading candidates but Cincinnati won't go without a fight.
New York seems too crowded. Atlanta would make them fight with UPS for personnel. I thought they'd want a mid size city so they can be the big boys in town.

Oldfart

They provide jobs in the city they locate in. The spend millions building out or building facilities. They take land that is not producing much tax revenue and turn it in to revenue producing land. Pilots are a necessary tool to bring in new business.

bacha29

New York seems too crowded. Atlanta would make them fight with UPS for personnel. I thought they'd want a mid size city so they can be the big boys in town.
Later today after the 100 cities were announced some who believe that they have the 411 on the matter are saying that Austin seems to have the most of what Bezos wants and he is from Texas. At the same time however you should be happy to hear that Boston is a strong possibility but given that Bezos is from Texas and knowing that Texas would give him whatever he wants I would have to agree that it will be Austin.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Later today after the 100 cities were announced some who believe that they have the 411 on the matter are saying that Austin seems to have the most of what Bezos wants and he is from Texas. At the same time however you should be happy to hear that Boston is a strong possibility but given that Bezos is from Texas and knowing that Texas would give him whatever he wants I would have to agree that it will be Austin.

Boston would give him direct access to both coasts.

vantexan

Amazon paying a little over $12 an hour. Warehouse jobs come and go. They better put some AC in that building. Summer time is no fun in a hot warehouse
Depends on the shift pay wise. They have huge climate controlled bldgs in KC area. The one thing they'd have over FedEx in Memphis is fulltime jobs.

bacha29

Boston would give him direct access to both coasts.
Depends on the shift pay wise. They have huge climate controlled bldgs in KC area. The one thing they'd have over FedEx in Memphis is fulltime jobs.
Right now KC isn't among the top 20 cities but that doesn't rule it out and Raleigh and Charlotte might sneek in but Austin and Boston have a good chance as well if Bezos rules out Dallas, Houston and New York areas but still wants to be in those regions.

vantexan

Right now KC isn't among the top 20 cities but that doesn't rule it out and Raleigh and Charlotte might sneek in but Austin and Boston have a good chance as well if Bezos rules out Dallas, Houston and New York areas but still wants to be in those regions.
I like Austin but man it's boiling hot in the summer. Whichever he chooses the lifestyle there will have a big influence. Charlotte would be good for that.