Archives

M

more

Minkie 188: Thanks for your support and I think you're right about the raging bull rejects!
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

A

anonymous

If you have the resources ($2 million or more)and do not choose to leave at a young age then you are foolish. UPS has been wonderful to many of us ,but, UPS is not a "way of life". You see, your time with your family is more important than any Company. I know of no other Company that would have afforded me this opportunity of Financial Independence at 46 years of age. For our Drivers or inside people ..you had the same opportunities as I . I started Part Time, Package Driver,etc...I chose to drag my family across the country. I chose to not be with my Children as they experienced growing up.You, also, made choices. You chose to not go into Management, thus, not having the financial opprtunity I had.Well, my friends , all of my time is with my Family now as we do whatever we feel like doing whenever we feel like doing it. Oh, by the way..Screw the Financial Advisors...I am leaving all my eggs in the Brown Basket!!!!!

M

more

To anon.3:54 am.: We're no fools! Last
day at UPS is Feb. 18th. A great
opportunity has been provided to us through
UPS. We too have moved several times
across this country and dropped kids along
the way. (no, they weren't abandoned, they were adult) Two-thirds of our eggs will remain
in the "brown" basket, but we can't ignore
the great returns we've experienced on the
Nasdaq. The whole scenario is a golden
opportunity. We've made great friends
throughout our time with UPS., and they
remain close. Our future travels will
include visits to them. Oh, and one other
thing, our advisor DOES want us to keep a
lot in UPS stock. Happy Holidays!

A

anonymous

More Luck,
What was the response from the District Mgr when your husband put in his papers?

M

more

to anon 12:04 pm.: The district manager at first
appeared genuinely shocked, but then was very
supportive of my husband's decision to leave. He
remarked that the IPO has really been life
altering (in a good way) for many people. There
are a couple more people leaving, they just
haven't come forward yet.
My husband's reaction after telling the boss was one of relief. He's looking forward to many
rounds of golf and time to do all those things
he always said he'd get around to doing.(his words). Believe me, there was a lot of soul searching and number crunching before the decision
was finally made.

M

magic

Again, the rumor. This time it's from the Raging
Bull Board (consider the source). It rumors that
OPL will go public in November. Anyone hear
anything like that?

B

bill

I've been hearing that rumor for the past couple of years. The date is new though.

A

austin

Here's a link to describe some of the legal

<A HREF="http://www.aclj.org/issues_index_dompart.html" TARGET="_blank"> Domestic Partnership
Legal Overview </A>

A

anonymous

I think for this to happen, some objective standard will have to be established in the courts. This standard would have to distinquish itself from bigamy, polygamy, etc. Additionally, current marriage laws exist so families are in position to foster the next generation of offsring.

Personally, as a heterosexual, I have some sympathy for same-sex partners. Many of these couples are just as stable as heterosexual couples. I can understand if one partner wishes to designate their significant other on an insurance policy or whatever. I think this is an issue the company is probably watching. Just like anywhere else, the company employs it's fair share of gays and lesbians. The answer is blowing in the wind.

R

rogue

Is that part of their expansion into ground volume?

Changing the logos and public signs would be right in line with their PR strategy. FDX is always thinking ahead when it comes to PR.

N

n13608

Rps will change its name for both their business to business and the residential delivery company they are starting. The change will happen at the end of January. This will cost their contractors more money because they will have to change the name on the side of their vans. The last change cost $200 to $400 and up depending on the condition of the van. Some had to be repainted completely. The contractors will not be happy.

P

primeunload

I realize that most of the people on this board probally are drivers and full time where, I am not I go to school and work part time in unload....but there's a guy in sort aisle who's the union stewart but never works hard I've timed him before and he does about 9 boxes a min. I've talked to management about him and they say there's nothing they can do because of union rules. All I know is that the other jobs I've worked at if anyone was that slow they would be moves or dismissed. Would definetly be interested in input. Thanks

O

over70lbpkg

The question I have is how fedex/rps will operate.
I'm sure everyone knows rps drivers are independent contractors and get paid per package where as fedex drivers get paid hourly. I wonder which way the company will go?!?!

B

buyorsellopl

What is the word on the street about purchasing opl stock. Looking strictly at the numbers, the current price per share trades at just over 1x eps. To a competitor or someone looking to bolster their company, looks fairly attractive.

K

kingsorter

primeunload dude,
Unfortunately, your supervisor or the sort aisle supervisor is not doing their job that they are getting paid to do. The main reason something should be done about this individual is so good people like yourself don't get a bad attitude and start working like the u.s. in the sort aisle. All I can tell you is to go over your supervisor's head to his manager and voice your opinion in a calm and professional manner. As far as the response you received "because of union rules" is B.S. If you were to look in the stewards hand book, it should state something to the effect of the steward should lead by example and hold himself above reproach. This guy definitely needs to go!!!

U

used2bie

The most recent prospectus for OPL compares the price performance of OPL over the past 1, 3, and 5 years versus the "S&amp;P Insurance Index" which is a mix of some 22 different insurance companies. These companies include many insurance sub-specialties such as annuities, property/casualty, life insurers, reinsurers, etc. The average price to book ratio for all companies is 1.38 as of 12/31/99. OPL's price to book is 1.00. Thus, OPL appears undervalued by about 38% at the current price.

F

financegal

Don't know if anyone noticed, but the new Pre-Retirement class that has just rolled out with the Finance workshop invited "Spouses" or "Life Partners". I found that very interesting, especially around our conservative company