Archives

M

more

reply to anon. 5:30 am.: My hubby is a Div.
Mgr. and is exercising one stock option
and giving up the other 4 and leaving in
March. Because of the IPO, this one option
is worth what all 5 would have been
without the IPO. I don't think the
options will deter anyone from leaving.
The way to look at it is not how much I'm
losing, but how much do I have and is it
enough to live out my days comfortably. As
it is, we won't be able to spend it all!

A

anonymous

If you think you will have trouble spending all of your money, please e-mail and I will come out to your house and take all that you are willing to give

A

anonymous

Reply to More Luck - I can understand your hubby's point here. I have one question- what are the two of you going to do about your current medical benefits? Have you checked into what the yearly expense will be to replace the coverage? If so, how much are we talking about? I'm really curious as I too may decide to exercise 1 and forego the others. Life is too short to miss out on such a golden opportunity.

M

more

reply to anon. 7:06 am: We have checked
medical plans and for the 2 of us it'll
run about $400 a month. We can keep the
coverage from UPS for up to 18 months after
leaving. Even our financial advisor at
Smith Barney can get us a kind of group
medical rate. He said it wasn't a big
worry. We plan to check all rates as soon
as "peak" is over. If you have ???'s call
Dan Engel at Solomon, Smith Barney and he
can evaluate yor finances and make it easy
for you to decide you future.(949-206-5000
It's a free service.

A

anonymous

That all sounds great to me, except, can you get that type of rate with a spouse with a pre-existing medical condition?

A

anonymous

I get a kick out of some people....they have a p1000 full of money...and they are worried about a couple of grand for medical insurance...wake up....................................stop thinking like a truck driver

M

meat

"dan engel from duwie,cheatem and howe will make it easy for you to decide your future" SAY WHAT?????????? YOU NEED SOMEONE TO HELP YOU DECIDE YOUR FUTURE???????You have been watching too many of those TV commericals. Commission hungry "advisors" will line their pockets with the "new rich" UPSers out there. They make out like "all the UPSer's" are their clients-
Oh well---there is one for every seat

M

more

reply to MEAT: Look, we're only trying to
trade ideas here. If a financial advisor
is not your cup of tea, that's OK. A lot of
folks out there have no clue about
investing and it's important they talk to
someone who does. Talking to a financial
advisor is free. So is reading books on
investing. So, if you have something
constructive to add, please do. Otherwise
go back to raging bull where they relish
all that slop slinging!

M

meat

Not jealous at all. Just not simple minded. Your right, I should not think out loud (figuratively speaking), but when I read some of these posts it makes me laugh. UPS stock value increased almost 3 fold. If you have 'real' money now, you had a nice nest egg BEFORE the IPO. So, you should have been reading and investigating and understanding the responsibilities of wealth long ago. Or were you hoping the private UPS would take care of your investments until you were in your grave?
Now a couple of months later you are quitting your jobs and signing up with commissioned salesman to "decide your future".
Its like a people who win the lottery, many of them end up broke because they follow advice like sheep----they watch too many slick TV commericals showing a couple on a beach thanking their broker...
If you think a million dollars is more then you'll ever spend, well, I guess we think differently.

A

anonymous

I totaly agree with anon on 12/21 7:41. You can take the manager out of being a truck driver but you can never take the truck driver out of the manager. The 'fat cats' will never wake up until we throw them out!

M

more

Reply to Meat: We've been actively investing
since Dell was an inkling in Michael Dell's
brain. We both read everything we can about
investing and ultimately make our own
decisions on which direction to go. We're
presently heavy into tech. stocks and have
been for awhile. You're right, we did have
a nice nest egg prior to the IPO, but the
IPO put us 7-10 yrs. ahead of plan. You're
right, a financial advisor will make money
in commission when we trade, but we also
have several accounts on-line too. Heck,
if I sell my house, someone will make a
comission there too. So, I plan to listen
to the advice of advisors and in the end
WE DECIDE what to do with our $$$. And,
just FYI...it's multi-millions and it is
rather mind boggling for us "normal" folks.

M

meat

Well Shazzammm More Luck! If you have been investing in tech stocks since Dell was a young lad I would think you would have retired years ago...maybe it was the medical insurance issue that was keeping you. I guess your comment about calling such & such about making it easy for you to make your decisions was for those less savvy investors out there...sorta like a public service announcment...you should ask your advisor is you can write it off on your taxes as charity. Am surprised a keen operator like your self uses an advisor, you sound more knowledgable then the crooks at Merrill Lynch or Smith Barney.
Are you sure your not reading People Magazine and watching Rosie and just think its CNBC??
Anyway, this board is about UPS, not me picking on you...........am just a grumpy retiree with too much time...Happy Holidays..Best to all My last post to Ms.More Luck.

M

more

to anon 2:51pm. Man, this board is getting mean.
I will post as anonymous from now on. I'm just an avid gambler who uses "luck" in all my passwords and e-mail address.

M

minkie188

More Luck, Sounds like some of the dead beat nasty type have drudged over from the Raging Bull Board to sour this one. Ignore them like most everyone else does. They sound as if they have already ran everyone out of their lives and this attitude is all they have. Ho Ho Ho!