Archives

A

anonymous

Yea, the rumor I heard was the early retirement at 80 (combination of age and years of service) will apply to management

M

more

I doubt very much that an early retirement
will be offered. As soon as the cash
tender offer is made, I know of many who
will just leave. Most are in the 52-54
age bracket and are multi-millionaires and
just won't stay and take the pressure and
stress any longer. Get out healthy and
enjoy life, because none of us knows how
long we're here on this earth.

M

more

Since the stock closed at $68.375 today,
will that be the value of the M.I.P.
awards ??

R

rob

I don't think that an early retirement buyout will be necessary. Many who were on the fence will take the opportunity provided by the IPO windfall and move on. We'll have to wait until after the 2000 options period to see how many actually leave, but it could be quite a few.

Y

yamon

This rumor of early retirement of 80 and out (combination of age and service) bring it on baby. I know I would take it - life is to short to work for some <FONT COLOR="ff0000">•••</FONT>....

F

frank

Talk about confusion. I haven't gotten a satisfactory explanation about how the stock price yesterday effects anything. Everyone I asked had a different story.

I even got a paper that supposedly shows the calculation and I'm still clueless. Guess it's peak season burnout but I do not comprehend it at all.

F

feral

Frank,

The $68.375 closing price of yesterday will be used to calculate your tax payment of MIP and also to calculate how many actual shares you will end up with!

A

anonymous

I thought that the number of shares awarded was based on the IPO price...

F

feral

Yes your original $amount of MIP will be divided by $50 this will give you your gross # of shares. Then this number is multiplied by $68.375 this amount will be used to calculate your tax that will be paid from this amount. Then the remainder will be divided by $68.375 and this will be your actual MIP shares. I know it is confusing but trust me they did this for our benefit not theirs.

B

brown&proud

I'm wondering when it's going to be officially announced. From what I've heard it's a done deal.

M

more

What deal ? Where ? I own both Amazon
and UPS. Am I suppose to be jumping for
joy and just don't know it yet ? Fill
us all in.

A

anonymous

Is the rumor that UPS has the shipping account for Amazon or is acquiring Amazon?

A

anonymous

Yes, it's really very simple and it did work to our advantage. The number of shares you will actually receive is the same regardless of the closing price on 12/08. If you had the opportunity to use the Excel spreadsheet, you would notice that they are using a 34% tax basis. So basically you will receive 66% of the gross shares based on the $50 IPO price. The closing price of $68.38 only affects your gross income and the actual amout of taxes withheld. No matter what the price was on 12/08 you would still receive the same amount of shares.

R

router

Finon Sofecom, would this deal be instead of TPG or another one? Anyone have any idea how much UPS would have had to pay for that company?

A

anonymous

United Parcel Names Exec To Seek Acquisition Targets

ATLANTA -- United Parcel Service of America Inc. (UPS), signaling that the company is actively seeking major international acquisitions, has named its top executive in Europe to a new position overseeing global merger strategies.

In an internal UPS announcement this week, the president of UPS Europe, Randy L. Pulito, was named a vice president of the Atlanta delivery company. No successor has been named as head of the UPS European operations.

In his new role, Pulito, 53 years old, will be responsible for developing international growth strategies, including mergers and acquisitions, the company confirmed. He will report to John A. Duffy, senior vice president for corporate strategy and a member of the UPS management committee.

"This will be part of a continuing vision outlined by our chairman during the IPO process that UPS is going to enlarge its global footprint, through internal growth, through alliances, and it is going to involve acquisitions," said UPS spokesman Norman Black. "It's just part of the whole push inside this company to enlarge itself around the world."

UPS went public last month, selling about 10% of the company in an initial offering which raised a total of $5.47 billion, at the time the largest U.S. IPO ever. UPS Chairman and Chief Executive James P. Kelly said the primary purpose of the IPO was to create "a currency" for making corporate transactions.

Since the offering was completed, UPS has purchased several small logistics companies. Shares of TNT Post Group, an Amsterdam-based express delivery concern, have traded sharply higher in recent weeks on speculation that UPS might interested in buying the company or striking an alliance.

UPS won't comment on whether it is interested in TNT or talking with the company. "The fact that Randy Pulito has so much international experience in Europe doesn't mean that his focus is Europe," said Black, the spokesman.

T

thenewme47

I've been hearing that for 6 months - highly doubt it. However, would it not be better for the company to "know" whats going to happen instead of finding out one by one someone leaves? How can we meet the business plan with unexpected departures, followed by replacements or newly promoted people to fill those jobs? If we don't meet the plan, you know where our stock will go.
Either put the rumor to rest or address it - but please don't just ignore it - we can't afford that.

A

anonymous

The lower rung of upper management is where we are too fat. We should get enough Division Managers leaving now to where a "Buy Out" would not be necessary.As you know the Company would like to lower the numbers in this area.There are a lot of Young Supervisors that could be added for the $7500 - $8500 that a Division Mgr gets.

A

anonymous

I don't think you'll see too many division managers leaving as they would loose their 5 year stock options. If the company developed a plan that allowed division managers to leave early and keep the options as well as medical benefits, then you would see a mad rush out the door!!