Are jobs gonna be cut when this happens?

hoser

Industrial Slob
Here's a thought to keep part time employees.

Give the employees an option for benefits. If an employee doesn't need the benefits from UPS, offer a higher pay rate and progression. A full time student can generally be on their parents insurance until age 25.

If an employee is at UPS for the benefits, a lesser starting ay rate ($9 estimate) and normal progression. Quite often an employee at UPS for the benefits in a part time position, stays longer than a student. Also the opportunity for a full time job at UPS is attractive, if that is the part timers goal.

One would think UPS has analyzed this situation, but keeping the payrate where it's been forever, is not the solution.
This is a great idea!

but..

The health benefits and tuition reimbursement are benefits UPS wants to pay because that money is gonna go to paying tax otherwise. Plus I imagine UPS gets some nice kickbacks from the insurance companies they deal with.

Leragie

The drivers should be red circled. You cant allow friend-time lay-offs and replace them with p-time workers. Now i need to know how long these drivers have been doing this preload driver jobs for?

All of them have been driving for 10+ years. So, ever since then. But they're not the ones that are gonna get the layoff. That will be for the new guys like me.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Here's a thought to keep part time employees.

Give the employees an option for benefits. If an employee doesn't need the benefits from UPS, offer a higher pay rate and progression. A full time student can generally be on their parents insurance until age 25.

If an employee is at UPS for the benefits, a lesser starting ay rate ($9 estimate) and normal progression. Quite often an employee at UPS for the benefits in a part time position, stays longer than a student. Also the opportunity for a full time job at UPS is attractive, if that is the part timers goal.

One would think UPS has analyzed this situation, but keeping the payrate where it's been forever, is not the solution.
I had the same thought myself (when my local was asking for input for negotations). But my next thoughts were: What happens if p/t employee who opted out of benefits needs them a few years later (life happens, y'know). Will he/she be hit with a $3-$5/hr. pay cut? Frozen out of benefits for life of p/t employment? This could get very complicated, very quickly.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I think there would be a lot of politics involved with that. So a student aged 19 who is a 1st year worker at UPS doesn't need insurance would make 14.00 an hour whereas a person working 4 years at UPS aged 26 needs the benefits and only makes 12.25 an hour. Also, doesn't seem like the Union is pushing for a higher start rate, could be one of those give backs come contract time."Company" You want this and that, ok, starting rate remains 9.50 an hour "Union" ok.
By my way of thinking, anyone receiving tuition reimbursement (taxable income) is already earning more than those who aren't. Say $3,000/52wks/20hrs per wk=$2.88/hr. Please correct me if there's a flaw in my logic (I'm just a humble package handler).

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
This is a great idea!

but..

The health benefits and tuition reimbursement are benefits UPS wants to pay because that money is gonna go to paying tax otherwise. Plus I imagine UPS gets some nice kickbacks from the insurance companies they deal with.
I was under the impression tuition reimbursement no longer provides any tax advantages for employers here in the States.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
The center I work at currently has two groups of drivers. Early starters and late starters. The early starting drivers are made up of high senority drivers that have shorter routes that only take about 5 to 6 hours, but these drivers get their full hours because they do all of the preloading in the morning. The late starters take the bigger routes that fill out a full days work. I was told that soon we are gonna switch to having all of our preload done by part timers. Does that mean that they are going to have to cut out some low senority routes to be able to give more hours to the high senority drivers with the smaller routes?
Do the numbers for yourself. Say you have 30 drivers on the road daily now. If 10 are preloading/driving (1preloader/3trucks) 10 x 5.5 hours=55(onroad?)hours, 20 x 9.5 hrs= 190 orh; 55+190=245orh. 245orh/30drivers=8.17 hour days or 245orh/9.5 hour days=26 drivers.
Please correct my logic if necessary as I am only a simple, humble package handler.