olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Our hub had start times from 0001 to 2330 . ya, all day start times. it was almost half days and half nights and everything in between.

barnyard

KTM rider
It used to be that the highest seniority feeders in a building trained new drivers and then were tested by a supe. I was trained by another feeder when I started shifting 17ish years ago. Pretty sure that training (when it was done by hourlies) also got a little pay bump for training time also.

barnyard

KTM rider
The run that I am on next week has a loaner tractor while the regular is in for service. Stopped at the building today to see if it had an AUX plug for my Ipod. It does. It is a newer Mack with an auto trans. If it is a little quieter than the regular tractor, bonus.

Darth Vapor 666

I am hatred, darkness, and despair
I start feeder in Monday 8/15.....only 4 more days of package car left after 16 years........I don't think I've ever been so happy/scared in my life

browned_out

Stated feeder last October after 20 plus in package, I am loving it. 10 months in and I have not worked a full week in package([emoji1][emoji106]). Looking forward to another great peak season. As far as training goes, we did minimal 53 ft driving/backing. I'm talking less then a day. Our building only uses 28's (small building), however when I go to the bigger hubs they often have you move these(53's) to other buildings or the rail yard.

A little scary at first, but just take it slow and easy.

barnyard

KTM rider
This week, I am covering a route that has a loaner. 97k mile Mack auto. Last night, it rained all night and if the tire tracks from traffic ahead were distinct, the lane minder thingy would go off. Very annoying.

Tonight I get back the 1.2 mil mile tractor that goes with the job. Sigh.

Also, last night the advice that @retiredTxfeeder gave a couple of years ago made my night easier. When it is raining, turn on the mirror heat. It helps clear the mirrors, making it easier to back.

B

BrownCubster

my trainer told me the 53 footers are easier to back . i think he meant straight backing. they are but you have to be continually aware of the length on turns etc. they are harder to back in tight areas. it seems like our hub wasnt designed with 53 footers in mind.

I learned the hard way to take my time. sometimes they say something when I take to long when shiftering in the yard but the other shifters told me not to worry about it.

UPS4Life

This week, I am covering a route that has a loaner. 97k mile Mack auto. Last night, it rained all night and if the tire tracks from traffic ahead were distinct, the lane minder thingy would go off. Very annoying.

Also, last night the advice that @retiredTxfeeder gave a couple of years ago made my night easier. When it is raining, turn on the mirror heat. It helps clear the mirrors, making it easier to back.
That buzzer is so annoying it scares the :censored2: out of me because I never expect it. There's a bendix button on the dash for when you're in construction zones you can turn it off. It has a yellow button on bottom green light up on top, if the green light is off it won't buzz.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I learned the hard way to take my time. sometimes they say something when I take to long when shiftering in the yard but the other shifters told me not to worry about it.
Don't worry about what yard control says about how fast you make a move, or your ORS for that matter. The important thing is not to tear something up when you are learning. When I was driving, there was no "allowance" when shifting as a driver. Whatever time you spent shifting, you broke even. No over or underallowed. You will get faster eventually. Management knows newbies go slow at first.

B

BrownCubster

Don't worry about what yard control says about how fast you make a move, or your ORS for that matter. The important thing is not to tear something up when you are learning. When I was driving, there was no "allowance" when shifting as a driver. Whatever time you spent shifting, you broke even. No over or underallowed. You will get faster eventually. Management knows newbies go slow at first.
Thanks. thats what the other shifters told me . they said the yard dispatcher does that to all the new drivers. we have an old shifter that takes naps in the back at 4 am and they dont say anything to him.

what is ORS? is that something to worry about?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
On Road Supervisor. The yard dispatcher (we called them yard controllers where I was) doesn't give a flip about your well being or safety. All he is worried about is the hub might make his phone ring because a move didn't get made fast enough. Only you can worry about you.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Are you backup????

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Thanks. thats what the other shifters told me . they said the yard dispatcher does that to all the new drivers. we have an old shifter that takes naps in the back at 4 am and they dont say anything to him.

They have their favorites and the yard controller rats are some of the worst when it comes to playing favorites... Feeder is the place to be no doubt about it..

brownburro

my trainer told me the 53 footers are easier to back . i think he meant straight backing. they are but you have to be continually aware of the length on turns etc. they are harder to back in tight areas. it seems like our hub wasnt designed with 53 footers in mind.

The 53' trailers are easier to back, provided you do your setup correctly.