Johney

Yep. Extra board in a building with 4 feeder jobs. I only work feeders when 2 guys are on vacation. So far, this is my 3rd week of the year and I think I am working 2 more. Then I will probably be done till next year.
And I suppose you pick off their vacation schedule?

barnyard

KTM rider
And I suppose you pick off their vacation schedule?

Kind of. All drivers pick from the same calendar in my building. I turn in my picks, if there are 3 feeders on vacation, then I have to change. This year, I did 4 weeks in a row, but had to move them back 2 weeks.

The #1 qualified cover guy picks his weeks to maximize his time covering feeders. I do not. I missed 2 weeks in feeders, because of the 4 weeks in a row. I've done 3 weeks, plus a couple of single days and am doing at least 2 more weeks. Ends up being a very nice break from package cars. I used to get really stressed out about long breaks from feeders.

Johney

Kind of. All drivers pick from the same calendar in my building. I turn in my picks, if there are 3 feeders on vacation, then I have to change. This year, I did 4 weeks in a row, but had to move them back 2 weeks.

The #1 qualified cover guy picks his weeks to maximize his time covering feeders. I do not. I missed 2 weeks in feeders, because of the 4 weeks in a row. I've done 3 weeks, plus a couple of single days and am doing at least 2 more weeks. Ends up being a very nice break from package cars. I used to get really stressed out about long breaks from feeders.
So who covered those weeks?

barnyard

KTM rider
There are 2 other guys on the feeder extra board, 1 higher and 1 lower in seniority. The #1 guy never refuses feeder work. The low guy and I have flipped a coin on some weeks, I chose some weeks and refused some weeks (over the years.) For single days, if the #1 guy does not do it, me and the other guy decide based on who has better weekend plans.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yep. Extra board in a building with 4 feeder jobs. I only work feeders when 2 guys are on vacation. So far, this is my 3rd week of the year and I think I am working 2 more. Then I will probably be done till next year.
That sucks....so close but so far ...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
There are 2 other guys on the feeder extra board, 1 higher and 1 lower in seniority. The #1 guy never refuses feeder work. The low guy and I have flipped a coin on some weeks, I chose some weeks and refused some weeks (over the years.) For single days, if the #1 guy does not do it, me and the other guy decide based on who has better weekend plans.
Do the guys who work feeder everyday have like 40 years in???

B

BrownCubster

I think i have 40 DAYS in.

we have 2 drivers with 40 plus years. top 25 have at least 30 years.

I have at least 25 more years and will probably still be at the bottom. :w00t:

barnyard

KTM rider

Nope. The #1 guy is at 35, the other 3 are between 20 and 28 years. I have 14 FT years and do not think that I will ever hold a FT feeder bid. The only way that it would happen is if some of the jobs that were taken away from our center were brought back to my center. I would be shocked if that happened.

The 35 year guy is talking about retiring, but the #1 extra board guy would sign that bid. The other guys are close to my age and we will probably all retire in the same time frame. So, technically, it is possible, but I would not hold a FT bid for any length of time. I seriously do not see it happening.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Nope. The #1 guy is at 35, the other 3 are between 20 and 28 years. I have 14 FT years and do not think that I will ever hold a FT feeder bid. The only way that it would happen is if some of the jobs that were taken away from our center were brought back to my center. I would be shocked if that happened.

The 35 year guy is talking about retiring, but the #1 extra board guy would sign that bid. The other guys are close to my age and we will probably all retire in the same time frame. So, technically, it is possible, but I would not hold a FT bid for any length of time. I seriously do not see it happening.
How many years do you think you have left?? You have 14 feeder years or just 14 ft years??

barnyard

KTM rider
I am vested in a bit over a year. Once I am vested, I'll take it year by year. I have been saving enough so that a pension does not matter. I am close enough though, that I might as well stay until I am vested and get something.

1Low59

Can anyone on here who has gone through feeder training this year tell me if pulling and parking 53' trailers is part of their training? I had to take a newly liscenced driver on my run last night which involves moving zzz and LC 53' trailers. He informed me that his trainer told him to let me (an hourly) teach him the ins and outs. Why is this my responsibility?
After I completed my training and obtained my CDL. I had to go on a 2 day "Mentoring" ride along with a 35 year C.O.H driver. It helped out. He gave me a lot good advise that is useful day to day. He told me it's the first time they have done that with a new feeder driver. Might be something new company wide.

brownburro

After I completed my training and obtained my CDL. I had to go on a 2 day "Mentoring" ride along with a 35 year C.O.H driver. It helped out. He gave me a lot good advise that is useful day to day. He told me it's the first time they have done that with a new feeder driver. Might be something new company wide.
I think that's what I did with this new driver.

B

BrownCubster

I had a senior driver go with me on two nights under the new mentor program our feeder department has. I learned more in 2 nights with her than I did in my 2 weeks of feeder training.

barnyard

KTM rider
Everything that is old, is new again.

The senior guy in my building was trained by the senior guy, back in the day. The same guy also trained me when I was a shifter. Came in one morning at either 5a or 6a and spent 2 or 3 hours training me and showing me common mistakes and explaining what would happen if I made those mistakes. Gave me my 1st feeder flashlight when he was done.

Used to be that the senior guy that did the mentoring got an extra $1/hour.

Pickles

Question for other hub feeder drivers...

If you are on the extra board (vacation coverage) and there aren't enough vacations to fill can you bump the lowest seniority bid run?