Attacked and bit by large dog today

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A mutt rotweiler/something got me today. Was in ER for awhile and also drove 1 hour back to police station to report with ER visit papers.

Can I sue the dog owner? It is a dangerous dog to say the least. I basically stood there defenseless and it did some damage to my knee. THankfully avoided perm damage it seems, but I'm in a lot of pain.

Any suggestions? Someone mentioned a union appointed lawyer or something like that?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have heard that a homeowner's insurance company will usually try to settle out of court. Maybe a few grand for you.

CFLBrown

Look up lawyers in the yellow pages, close your eyes and pick one. Most any one of them will take a dog bite case. Could look to settle for 5k-10k if its bad enough. I'm sure someone in your area has sued for a dog bite.

jimstud

Banned
first of all i hope you are all right. take pictures of the injury and get a lawyer as soon as possible. i know of drivers that have been bit (me too ) and have been paid anywhere from 1500 to 10k depending on the injury.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
This could be a great day for you my friend. Get the right lawyer and you'll never have to work again.
On the downside, assuming that management can produce that paper about the keys to avoiding dogbites with your signature at the bottom, you will probably be getting a warning letter for failing to follow proper methods.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
A mutt rotweiler/something got me today. Was in ER for awhile and also drove 1 hour back to police station to report with ER visit papers.

Can I sue the dog owner? It is a dangerous dog to say the least. I basically stood there defenseless and it did some damage to my knee. THankfully avoided perm damage it seems, but I'm in a lot of pain.

Any suggestions? Someone mentioned a union appointed lawyer or something like that?
Dude, first off, I hope you're alright. Secondly, take a deep breath and don't go off the deep end. Choosing a lawyer isn't easy, so take it slow and ask people close to you that are better informed. There are lawyers out there that will help you, but some will try to screw you and take all they can.

UPSGUY72

Does the owners know that their dog bit you ???

This pretty much and open and shut case. However, your not going to be able to retire any sooner. Your only going to get a couple of thousand dollars from the owners insurance company but they will settle with you which is in both you and there best interest.

I would use a lawyer that you have done business with before you don't need a special lawyer. All he is going to do is send the homeower and their insurance company a letter for a claim and the insurance company will make and offer to you. Like I said your not going to get rich after the lawyer takes his you'll get 3 to 5 thousand.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
You didn't mention if you were working at the time, Sleeve. Include a talk to your mgmt braintrust as well as your local, in your quest for answers.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Thank you everyone! Workmans comp, yes making a delivery.

Walked up to residence, went to side driveway/garage (it looked like behind the house) to DR package.

Dog barked and rushed me from around corner where I was headed. I just stood there and took it, arms at my side. It tore into my leg, have at least 5 punctures around the side of the knee area. Incredibly lucky he didnt get me just another 1/2 inch closer to kneecap, doc said would be terrible results if that happened.

The worst part is the owner did not care nor say anything. He walked out of the back door where the dog came out and said "you got bit huh". Meanwhile I'm kneeling holding my bloody leg. He took the dog and went inside, didn't say another word. Did not say sorry, or even offer help. I'm not surprised that the dog acted how it acted with an owner that is careless and lacks empathy in any way.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Guy sounds like a real jerk, you really need to find a lawyer who will put the maximum amount of screw to this clown.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sleeve, I also hope that you are OK. Check with the union as to what benefits are available to you in regard to a lawyer. Here in Upstate NY we get legal representation from a network of lawyers for common legal needs. We also get a dollar amount if we choose to use our own lawyer. I do not know if dog bites would be covered but it may be worth looking in to it.

I agree with Ovah---sue the *************** out of him.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If the owner were even remotely helpful a lawsuit would be the last thing on my mind, you know? Not sure what the guys deal was. Well anyway, here's the end result.

fethrs

Sorry to hear about what happened to you, hope you feel better. Good luck with what you decide to do.
I have used a lawyer that represents union members, his services were paid for by the legal fund we have with UPS. I paid nothing.
If you are interested let me know and I will find the info.

over9five

Staff member
Sleeve, did the police go to the owner and get the dogs rabies cert? How does one know if the dog has had its shots?