bidding off feeders

gray squirrel

If a package car driver in our center is retires, what are the proceedures for the feeder driver to bid off feeders? This is an extended center with only one feeder position. Does the feeder driver have to disqualify himself at his upcoming bid to quailify?

S

speeddemon

We had a guy that came off feeders and went back into package. He went to the bottom of the seniority list as far as bidding on package routes is concerned. They allowed him to be above the lowest driver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does your center have one seniority list for all FT employees or is there a separate list for package and feeder? My center has just one list which means when a driver, whether package or feeder, retires and their run is put up for bid, any qualified employee can sign the bid sheet. We have 3 package drivers who have announced their intention to bid in to feeders when the opportunity presents itself. Ironically there is not one feeder driver who has expressed interest in bidding back in to package.

over9five

Staff member
In the recent bid we had several Feeder drivers bid back to Package. You DO NOT have to remove yourself from the Feeder qualified list, but you will still be subject to random drug tests (that's ok, it's paid time!)
Here, we don't have make believe seniority dates. You can bid where your seniority allows.
Good luck!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In the recent bid we had several Feeder drivers bid back to Package. You DO NOT have to remove yourself from the Feeder qualified list, but you will still be subject to random drug tests (that's ok, it's paid time!)
Here, we don't have make believe seniority dates. You can bid where your seniority allows.
Good luck!
Did you end up staying in feeders, ovah? I lost track of your bid thread.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I think I am going to feeder school in the fall. I have time before I go back to do it. I am not sure it will all work out, but I am going to try.

menotyou

bella amicizia
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

That was funny!!! No,dear, I am enrolling in a state-sponsored one. Expensive, but worth it, I think.

barnyard

KTM rider
Some feeder guys do not want to spend their whole career working 18:30-6:00. In my center, the only way out of those hours is to bid back into package. And in my extended center, all the guys in feeders started in package, so all they would have to do is sign for a bid route.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
In SC, You have to write a letter to leave feeders. The letter is good for 2 years. You go to the bottom of the package list, until the next bid, where you can then bid your full time senority in package.

For example- I could write my letter now, suck hind tittie until January, then bid my senority(7th on the Package list). Ain't no way I am going back to package, noway,nohow

Here once you are feeder it's permanent. Plus we have all kinds of cool imaginary seniority dates that you can collect and trade with your friends.

brownrod

If a package car driver in our center is retires, what are the proceedures for the feeder driver to bid off feeders? This is an extended center with only one feeder position. Does the feeder driver have to disqualify himself at his upcoming bid to quailify?

Its in the contract somewhere. Probably a regional supplement. In our area if you've been in feeders for I think 3 years you can write a letter and resign your position in feeders and go back to package driving. No bidding whatsoever.

We have had numerous back up feeder drivers do this. Not sure if it is the same procedure for feeder driver with a bid route.

barnyard

KTM rider
I would not pay a school for a CDL. I did UPS feeder school. 1 week of me and 1 supe doing nothing but driving and parking, then another week of me and another supe working a job. There is no way any school can do that kind of 1 on 1 instruction. My instructor supe was pulled away for something during 1/2 of one day. I spent 3 hours practicing backing for the test and backing onto doors.

The examiner said that he was pleased with my driving and confidence I showed during my pretrip.

Say what you want about UPS, but they do know how to train people.

I would not pay a school for a CDL. I did UPS feeder school. 1 week of me and 1 supe doing nothing but driving and parking, then another week of me and another supe working a job. There is no way any school can do that kind of 1 on 1 instruction. My instructor supe was pulled away for something during 1/2 of one day. I spent 3 hours practicing backing for the test and backing onto doors.

The examiner said that he was pleased with my driving and confidence I showed during my pretrip.

Say what you want about UPS, but they do know how to train people.

I would say used to know. Now the newer sups are all DTS trained. While they are good at explaining the theory they lack real world experience until they get enough hours on the street teaching others. Even then most go a few years before they can even compare to the skill level of an average rookie feeder driver. More often than not the senior feeder drivers fill in the holes in the training.

barnyard

KTM rider
I should add that I got no training on the Ivis during my non-productive week and a tiny bit of training on my productive week.