bus crash kills at least 10 after FedEx truck collision

DontThrowPackages

Yeah, the puritans, after being kicked out of England for being to extreme, founded the USA. They worshiped God. They also believed, when a person sneezed, the devil was trying to enter the body...."God Bless you". They also believed, if a woman was too pretty she must be a witch. So somewhere, I guess in the bible, they were told to tie these women up and burned them alive. If these women didn't burn from the fire then this proved they were indeed witches. IF they did burn to death, then they weren't witches. I don't know if a lot of Christians still believe this as fact but if not then why not? Too Crazy? It wasn't too crazy to the puritans. Could they have been wrong? Makes one question things as they were taught that's for sure.

Rainman

Its all good.
Uh, no. Our founding fathers wanted a distinct separation from church and state. We are a Judeo-Christian nation only in the sense that Christians are the majority religion. That doesn't mean you make the rules, or principles. My license plate religion is just as important as yours because freedom of religion also means equality of religion(s). It also means I am free to practice no religion at all (freedom from religion). So, as much as you'd like all of us to be Christians, it isn't going to happen. And Mohammed the Muslim is just important as Pat Robertson, the Super Christian.
Judeo-Christian values are what our laws and system of government are based on. Look at the principles that they are based on.
The founding fathers did not want an official state religion, they never intended for us to be a nation of people without faith on god. Look back at what they wrote. Even Ben Franklin, who was the least religious of all, wrote about the positive influences of religion. Jefferson actually founded and personally funded the Virginia Bible Society. For someone to get off of their hard earned cash, they had to really believe in what they were funding, especially considering that cash was short after the war.

I'm not putting down other religions, not even your license plate religion, just pointing out historical fact.

As far as what I'm saying about Christianity, it comes down to this: if I believe that I hold the key to the secret of eternal life and eternal joy and I don't try to share that information with others, then that makes me the biggest A-hole that has ever lived. I don't try to tell you or anyone else what to believe. Just sharing what I believe to be the truth. As I've said on other posts, the choice is always yours.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Then you can't claim that religious beliefs are crammed down your throat. You are free not to engage in religious ceremony or debate, but for the latter you choose to. That's why I think prodriver is right about you. You really do want to believe and so enter into such dialogues. Maybe one day someone will say something to bring you to an "a-ha" moment.

I guess I better light up the pipe and get myself straight about all of this.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Judeo-Christian values are what our laws and system of government are based on. Look at the principles that they are based on.
The founding fathers did not want an official state religion, they never intended for us to be a nation of people without faith on god. Look back at what they wrote. Even Ben Franklin, who was the least religious of all, wrote about the positive influences of religion. Jefferson actually founded and personally funded the Virginia Bible Society. For someone to get off of their hard earned cash, they had to really believe in what they were funding, especially considering that cash was short after the war.

I'm not putting down other religions, not even your license plate religion, just pointing out historical fact.

As far as what I'm saying about Christianity, it comes down to this: if I believe that I hold the key to the secret of eternal life and eternal joy and I don't try to share that information with others, then that makes me the biggest A-hole that has ever lived. I don't try to tell you or anyone else what to believe. Just sharing what I believe to be the truth. As I've said on other posts, the choice is always yours.

I respect you and your beliefs...I just don't agree. Many other religions have "10 Commandments" type principles as well. Christianity doesn't have a lock on morality or ethics. Most religions have a central figure that has the same virtues as Jesus. Lots of folks forget that when they are pounding those who don't believe the way they do.

vantexan

Uh, no. Our founding fathers wanted a distinct separation from church and state. We are a Judeo-Christian nation only in the sense that Christians are the majority religion. That doesn't mean you make the rules, or principles. My license plate religion is just as important as yours because freedom of religion also means equality of religion(s). It also means I am free to practice no religion at all (freedom from religion). So, as much as you'd like all of us to be Christians, it isn't going to happen. And Mohammed the Muslim is just important as Pat Robertson, the Super Christian.

Our founding fathers wanted a freedom to worship as we choose, not the establishment of a state religion that marginalized other beliefs and often persecuted them. Their writings were full of the importance of religion in civic life. Read Jefferson especially. And it's a prime example of the hatred for Christianity demonstrated by atheists in their determination to twist the Constitution to completely stamp out any mention of Christianity in public life.

vantexan

I respect you and your beliefs...I just don't agree. Many other religions have "10 Commandments" type principles as well. Christianity doesn't have a lock on morality or ethics. Most religions have a central figure that has the same virtues as Jesus. Lots of folks forget that when they are pounding those who don't believe the way they do.
Islam doesn't. There's no comparison between Mohammed and Jesus in virtue. The reason we have so much trouble with Muslim extremists today is the Koran clearly allows making war on those who refuse to accept Islam as the true religion. You will point to all the religious wars involving Christians and I'll tell you that the Bible doesn't allow war for the sake of enriching people nor does it allow war on non-believers for not accepting Christianity. Just because they waged war in Christ's name didn't make it right. Quite a few Christians don't believe in violence for any reason, including self defense. But the fact is the Bible was recognized as a guide for the founding fathers in developing the Constitution. Both the 10 Commandments and artistic depictions of Moses are enshrined in the U.S. Capitol. The greatness of the U.S. is 7 million Muslims can live here and practice their faith but when a Christian travels to many of their countries they can't bring in Bibles, or openly speak about their faith. If you want to attack Christianity in the U.S. you might want to take a look at what goes on in Muslim countries, especially their treatment of women. It's amusing to watch atheists rise to the defense of Muslims in the U.S. because they hate Christianity so much, blissfully unaware of the brutal oppression of women in many Muslim countries.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Islam doesn't. There's no comparison between Mohammed and Jesus in virtue. The reason we have so much trouble with Muslim extremists today is the Koran clearly allows making war on those who refuse to accept Islam as the true religion. You will point to all the religious wars involving Christians and I'll tell you that the Bible doesn't allow war for the sake of enriching people nor does it allow war on non-believers for not accepting Christianity. Just because they waged war in Christ's name didn't make it right. Quite a few Christians don't believe in violence for any reason, including self defense. But the fact is the Bible was recognized as a guide for the founding fathers in developing the Constitution. Both the 10 Commandments and artistic depictions of Moses are enshrined in the U.S. Capitol. The greatness of the U.S. is 7 million Muslims can live here and practice their faith but when a Christian travels to many of their countries they can't bring in Bibles, or openly speak about their faith. If you want to attack Christianity in the U.S. you might want to take a look at what goes on in Muslim countries, especially their treatment of women. It's amusing to watch atheists rise to the defense of Muslims in the U.S. because they hate Christianity so much, blissfully unaware of the brutal oppression of women in many Muslim countries.

Try this argument with someone who isn't Christian. I'm sure they have a polar opposite interpretation. And we all know Christians have never oppressed women...lol.

vantexan

Yeah, the puritans, after being kicked out of England for being to extreme, founded the USA. They worshiped God. They also believed, when a person sneezed, the devil was trying to enter the body...."God Bless you". They also believed, if a woman was too pretty she must be a witch. So somewhere, I guess in the bible, they were told to tie these women up and burned them alive. If these women didn't burn from the fire then this proved they were indeed witches. IF they did burn to death, then they weren't witches. I don't know if a lot of Christians still believe this as fact but if not then why not? Too Crazy? It wasn't too crazy to the puritans. Could they have been wrong? Makes one question things as they were taught that's for sure.
Are you aware of the Spanish Inquisition? Alot of burning at the stake then. The Puritans didn't found the USA. They founded several colonies in what is now primarily Massachsetts. They didn't get kicked out of England but rather went to the New World to practice their beliefs as they saw them rather than practice the State religion of the Church of England. And yes they were very extreme in many of their beliefs. Why do you think the Mormons ended up in Utah? They were attacked by mobs for their very different beliefs. Their founder, Joseph Smith, was lynched. The Puritans were a product of a brutal era where men killed each other in battle with swords. Be thankful people are more enlightened today.

vantexan

Try this argument with someone who isn't Christian. I'm sure they have a polar opposite interpretation. And we all know Christians have never oppressed women...lol.

Are you really unaware of the oppression of women in many Muslim countries right now? Way beyond the "oppression" women have experienced in this country. You are so blinded by your hatred.

vantexan

Are you aware of the Spanish Inquisition? Alot of burning at the stake then. The Puritans didn't found the USA. They founded several colonies in what is now primarily Massachsetts. They didn't get kicked out of England but rather went to the New World to practice their beliefs as they saw them rather than practice the State religion of the Church of England. And yes they were very extreme in many of their beliefs. Why do you think the Mormons ended up in Utah? They were attacked by mobs for their very different beliefs. Their founder, Joseph Smith, was lynched. The Puritans were a product of a brutal era where men killed each other in battle with swords. Be thankful people are more enlightened today.
Massachusetts...

Serf

I'd rather have someone who is sincere than someone who sat in on Jeremiah Wright's diatribes for many years and then claim he never really listened to the message. Or claim to be a Christian but hardly ever goes to services(not radical enough?). You make my point that guys like you not only don't believe, which is your business, but you can't stand that others do and want to attack every chance you get.
:likeit:

Serf

We are a Christian nation, founded on Christian principles. If you look at our constitution and other early documents, you can see how they mirror Christian principles.
The founding fathers deliberately allowed for people to have the right to worship as they chose. Freedom of religion, not freedom from religion, but they allowed for people to exercise that right also should that be what they would choose.

True. And the pledge of allegiance. "to the flag, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Rainman

Its all good.
If you look at history and also modern culture, Christianity is one off the more enlightened religions as far as the treatment of women. Certainly the most pro women of the 3 largest religions.
Any time humans are involved, things will get screwed up. Don't judge the whole by the actions of a few. And sometimes you have to look beyond the spin doctors on the surface to get to the real truth about what has happened on the past.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You're like a moth to a flame. You little rant about how great Christianity is just verifies the superiority complex Christians have and their intolerance for the beliefs of others. We are not a Christian Nation, but a nation composed primarily of those of the Christian faith. There is a big difference, because all religions are equal under our laws. Size doesn't matter.

vantexan

You're like a moth to a flame. You little rant about how great Christianity is just verifies the superiority complex Christians have and their intolerance for the beliefs of others. We are not a Christian Nation, but a nation composed primarily of those of the Christian faith. There is a big difference, because all religions are equal under our laws. Size doesn't matter.
Not a little rant, just a reply to your assertion that all major religions are centered around a virtuous figure. Because Bush, a Republican so well loved by the Left, waged war in 2 Muslim countries, the Left has taken on the role of defending Muslims from those horrible Christians, a religion they loathe. However in doing so they demonstrate over and over their ignorance of what goes on in many Muslim countries. Doesn't matter, it's not Christianity, so it must be good. And in no way did I show intolerance for other's beliefs unless telling the truth is intolerance. Kind of like Obamacare, huh?