bus crash kills at least 10 after FedEx truck collision

HomeDelivery

don't forget that Jesus will rise from the dead tomorrow:

time to break out the easter eggs!

Moving-animated-bunny-juggling-easter-eggs.gif

White Line

Back on topic here. It sounds like this driver had a medical event or fell asleep. But once the truck went out of control, you'd think even a sleeping driver would awaken and slam on the brakes. This leads me to believe he was out cold. A set of doubles usually rolls over in a situation like this one. It sounds like the intact rig crossed over the median (no Jersey barrier) and slammed right into the bus.

The tractor involved was a 2007 Volvo, which isn't particularly new for CA operations. There have been emissions fires in both Volvos and Freightliners FedEx operates, but since there was no pre-impact fire, that seems to have been ruled-out.
A theory I was told the other day MFE is that the DPF could have been leaking and the fumes from it got into the cab without the driver realizing it and the fumes knocked him out, although I have a hard time with that theory because we had a similar issue on a contractors emission truck a couple years ago and with just a couple quick spins around the yard we could smell the fumes getting into the cab so we red tagged it right then and there, it's also possible that this truck involved in the accident didn't have a DPF system because not all 2007 model year trucks had the DPF systems installed on them, a lot of the early 2007 model year trucks were delivered with 2006 emissions engines in them which were EGR only and no DPF system, but that doesn't mean this was or wasn't a DPF truck it could be either or, I haven't heard to many things about DPF fires other than I know they do get really hot, something like 1200 degrees or so.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A theory I was told the other day MFE is that the DPF could have been leaking and the fumes from it got into the cab without the driver realizing it and the fumes knocked him out, although I have a hard time with that theory because we had a similar issue on a contractors emission truck a couple years ago and with just a couple quick spins around the yard we could smell the fumes getting into the cab so we red tagged it right then and there, it's also possible that this truck involved in the accident didn't have a DPF system because not all 2007 model year trucks had the DPF systems installed on them, a lot of the early 2007 model year trucks were delivered with 2006 emissions engines in them which were EGR only and no DPF system, but that doesn't mean this was or wasn't a DPF truck it could be either or, I haven't heard to many things about DPF fires other than I know they do get really hot, something like 1200 degrees or so.

I know of several EGR fires at our local ramp in Freightliners, but those aren't going to knock anyone out. My guess is that burning DEF is probably toxic, but they have already ruled out a pre-impact fire. I'm not even sure that DEF will even burn readily.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Impress me. Go smoke an "eight ball" and don't become addicted.

I've never even smoked a cigarette. Why would I intentionally do something stupid and self-destructive? What compelled you to smoke it? It's called self-control when you don't perform self-destructive acts.

bbsam

Staff member
That's easy. Just like cigarettes, pot, and drinking, consequences didn't even occur as possible. Or at the very least, didn't seem like the worst could ever happen to me. Young, cocky, invincible, and with plenty of money...what could go wrong?
I've never even smoked a cigarette. Why would I intentionally do something stupid and self-destructive? What compelled you to smoke it? It's called self-control when you don't perform self-destructive acts.

White Line

I know of several EGR fires at our local ramp in Freightliners, but those aren't going to knock anyone out. My guess is that burning DEF is probably toxic, but they have already ruled out a pre-impact fire. I'm not even sure that DEF will even burn readily.
Just to make sure we are on the same page MFE, are you talking about the EGR valve itself or the DPF catching on fire? I am only asking because some people confuse DPF (diesel particulate filter) and DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) as the same thing which they are not, and confuse the EGR with the DPF which are not the same thing, the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve is just a electronically controlled valve on the side of the engine block that does exactly what it is called, it takes already burned fuel exhaust and forces it back through the combustion process again, it's actually a horrible set up and plays hell on the engines turbo particularly in the Cummins and the Detroits, now the DPF filter is that muffler looking thing that resembles a catalyst converter which it pretty much is, however unlike a catalyst it does it's burn off and regen by having small amounts of diesel fuel sprayed in it by electronic control, this type of DPF was used from 2007 to 2010, however in 2010 a new DPF was put into the field that uses DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) instead of diesel fuel for its burn off and regen, these new trucks have a DEF tank on them and like diesel fuel the DEF tank must have DEF fluid in it at all times, if it runs out the truck will shut itself down.

White Line

That's easy. Just like cigarettes, pot, and drinking, consequences didn't even occur as possible. Or at the very least, didn't seem like the worst could ever happen to me. Young, cocky, invincible, and with plenty of money...what could go wrong?
I have to agree with this, bbsam I am glad you were able to overcome your addiction, I had to overcome a addiction to heavy drinking, and like you I was young and didn't think about the consequences not until they finally caught up with me and hit me like a ton of bricks.

DontThrowPackages

I believe the driver had something seriously go wrong medically. Agree with MFE. If the driver had fallen asleep, surely bouncing over and across a median would have awoken him to at least able brake and or turn the wheel.

DontThrowPackages

......What exactly goes on in your lives, other than FedEx, that makes stop living by a moral code that keeps them mostly from lashing out and hurting others. Think the world is bad now? It truly would be a Darwinian survival of the fittest world.
Sweden is 85 pct atheist and they seem pretty civilized. Denmark and Japan also have high rates of non believers. They seem like pretty save countries to visit. Unlike Mexico, America and The middle east where there's a high rate of believers.
Do whatever you need to that gets you by. I'm just tired of keeping my mouth shut when religion is pushed on me.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Just to make sure we are on the same page MFE, are you talking about the EGR valve itself or the DPF catching on fire? I am only asking because some people confuse DPF (diesel particulate filter) and DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) as the same thing which they are not, and confuse the EGR with the DPF which are not the same thing, the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve is just a electronically controlled valve on the side of the engine block that does exactly what it is called, it takes already burned fuel exhaust and forces it back through the combustion process again, it's actually a horrible set up and plays hell on the engines turbo particularly in the Cummins and the Detroits, now the DPF filter is that muffler looking thing that resembles a catalyst converter which it pretty much is, however unlike a catalyst it does it's burn off and regen by having small amounts of diesel fuel sprayed in it by electronic control, this type of DPF was used from 2007 to 2010, however in 2010 a new DPF was put into the field that uses DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) instead of diesel fuel for its burn off and regen, these new trucks have a DEF tank on them and like diesel fuel the DEF tank must have DEF fluid in it at all times, if it runs out the truck will shut itself down.

I'm familiar with the differences. EGR is nasty because of the "re-burn" process you describe. I know that when it first came out that there were a number of fires caused when someone parked their tractor (not at FedEx) under a roof and the vehicle went into regen mode...poof. I've heard that the temp hits 1600 degrees on regen and that the DPF is like a burn barrel. I know that the Series 60 Detroits in our Freightliners have had numerous regen fires...don't know about the Volvos.

White Line

I'm familiar with the differences. EGR is nasty because of the "re-burn" process you describe. I know that when it first came out that there were a number of fires caused when someone parked their tractor (not at FedEx) under a roof and the vehicle went into regen mode...poof. I've heard that the temp hits 1600 degrees on regen and that the DPF is like a burn barrel. I know that the Series 60 Detroits in our Freightliners have had numerous regen fires...don't know about the Volvos.
Yep there is guy on you tube that shows a demonstration on that, he takes a piece of wood or cardboard and shows what happens when the DPF is in regen mode, he is able to get the piece to catch on fire just by holding it by where the exhaust is coming out, the smell of the exhaust can be nasty too, even just following one of those trucks down the road while they are doing a rolling regen, you can smell that crap coming through the air vents, it's not like old diesel exhaust you know, and yeah as far as the engines the system sucks, when I started driving, Cat 3406s, Cummins N 14s and Detroit 60 series 12.7 liters all non EGR were the main motors out there and ran great, when those EGR Cummins ISXs, Detroit 14.0 liters and that twin turbo Cat Acert started coming on the scene that's when everyone started to notice engine and turbo problems and it just snowballed from there, as far as that Volvo it probably either had a Volvo engine or a Cummins ISX, I think that's all Volvo offers for engine options in their trucks, not sure exactly how Volvo does their emissions either, I have been told it's a similar system like what the other engines have, yeah Freightliner they got that new DD 15 motor now no more 60 series, supposedly the DD 15 motors can be a problem child too, you just cant win.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yep there is guy on you tube that shows a demonstration on that, he takes a piece of wood or cardboard and shows what happens when the DPF is in regen mode, he is able to get the piece to catch on fire just by holding it by where the exhaust is coming out, the smell of the exhaust can be nasty too, even just following one of those trucks down the road while they are doing a rolling regen, you can smell that crap coming through the air vents, it's not like old diesel exhaust you know, and yeah as far as the engines the system sucks, when I started driving, Cat 3406s, Cummins N 14s and Detroit 60 series 12.7 liters all non EGR were the main motors out there and ran great, when those EGR Cummins ISXs, Detroit 14.0 liters and that twin turbo Cat Acert started coming on the scene that's when everyone started to notice engine and turbo problems and it just snowballed from there, as far as that Volvo it probably either had a Volvo engine or a Cummins ISX, I think that's all Volvo offers for engine options in their trucks, not sure exactly how Volvo does their emissions either, I have been told it's a similar system like what the other engines have, yeah Freightliner they got that new DD 15 motor now no more 60 series, supposedly the DD 15 motors can be a problem child too, you just cant win.

The new diesels are real problem, and the extra cost for all of the emissions equipment is huge. I see a lot of new UPS package cars in my area, and they're all gas.

vantexan

Sweden is 85 pct atheist and they seem pretty civilized. Denmark and Japan also have high rates of non believers. They seem like pretty save countries to visit. Unlike Mexico, America and The middle east where there's a high rate of believers.
Do whatever you need to that gets you by. I'm just tired of keeping my mouth shut when religion is pushed on me.
Sweden had a large Nazi party that collaborated with the Germans in WWII. Someone mentioned the "Rape of Nanking". Just one of too many to count atrocities committed by the Japanese in WWII. Very easy to commit horrendous crimes when you believe in only the here and now. Knowing your history helps to not repeat it, to paraphrase a famous saying. And in this day and age you are hardly having religion pushed on you.

DontThrowPackages

Right. Nanking was sickening and animalistic. But in 2014, I think I could walked through Japan or Sweden at 2:00am without worry. I guess you've never been stopped by or had two guys on bikes knock on your door. Jehovah witnesses seem to be everywhere in this company and I can't the amount of times I've been invited to a "Party" was it nothing more than church at someone's house. The to take it one step farther, we had a president who said God spoke to him and based some of his decisions on those words. "Happy Easter", Merry Christmas", ".....hardly having religion pushed....."

bbsam

Staff member
might want to go a bit deeper on that 85% number.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I believe the driver had something seriously go wrong medically. Agree with MFE. If the driver had fallen asleep, surely bouncing over and across a median would have awoken him to at least able brake and or turn the wheel.

I really hope this is what happened. It will be hard enough for the families of those who died to get over this but imagine how much more difficult it would be if it was because of distracted driving, texting or whatever. Easier to take if it was out of the control of the FedEx driver, IMO.

vantexan

Right. Nanking was sickening and animalistic. But in 2014, I think I could walked through Japan or Sweden at 2:00am without worry. I guess you've never been stopped by or had two guys on bikes knock on your door. Jehovah witnesses seem to be everywhere in this company and I can't the amount of times I've been invited to a "Party" was it nothing more than church at someone's house. The to take it one step farther, we had a president who said God spoke to him and based some of his decisions on those words. "Happy Easter", Merry Christmas", ".....hardly having religion pushed....."
And there you are. Someone just saying a friendly greeting to you eats at you. No one is expecting you to break down and join up. But that's not enough. You want a world where no one ever mentions God or religion. I've met plenty of very religious people on and off the job over the years, you aren't unique. So what? And George Bush was religious. So what? I'd rather have someone who is sincere than someone who sat in on Jeremiah Wright's diatribes for many years and then claim he never really listened to the message. Or claim to be a Christian but hardly ever goes to services(not radical enough?). You make my point that guys like you not only don't believe, which is your business, but you can't stand that others do and want to attack every chance you get.