bus crash kills at least 10 after FedEx truck collision

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And there you are. Someone just saying a friendly greeting to you eats at you. No one is expecting you to break down and join up. But that's not enough. You want a world where no one ever mentions God or religion. I've met plenty of very religious people on and off the job over the years, you aren't unique. So what? And George Bush was religious. So what? I'd rather have someone who is sincere than someone who sat in on Jeremiah Wright's diatribes for many years and then claim he never really listened to the message. Or claim to be a Christian but hardly ever goes to services(not radical enough?). You make my point that guys like you not only don't believe, which is your business, but you can't stand that others do and want to attack every chance you get.

A conditional friendly greeting with a message attached. Bush inserted religion whenever and however he could, and that is wrong, Mr. Freedom-loving American, because we have freedom of religion and freedom from religion here. We don't need the President telling everyone else their religion is second-rate. I am free to worship my license plate if I wish. Read the Constitution.

P

prodriver

A conditional friendly greeting with a message attached. Bush inserted religion whenever and however he could, and that is wrong, Mr. Freedom-loving American, because we have freedom of religion and freedom from religion here. We don't need the President telling everyone else their religion is second-rate. I am free to worship my license plate if I wish. Read the Constitution.
Bush didn't tell everyone their religion was second rate, he did use his constitutional rights and say some things about prayer etc. but like nonbelievers that had prayer taken out of school where is Christians right to practice their beliefs? I'm sure no one is so strong in some of their beliefs that they won't take money that says in God we trust.

DontThrowPackages

And there you are. Someone just saying a friendly greeting to you eats at you. No one is expecting you to break down and join up. But that's not enough. You want a world where no one ever mentions God or religion. I've met plenty of very religious people on and off the job over the years, you aren't unique. So what? And George Bush was religious. So what? I'd rather have someone who is sincere than someone who sat in on Jeremiah Wright's diatribes for many years and then claim he never really listened to the message. Or claim to be a Christian but hardly ever goes to services(not radical enough?). You make my point that guys like you not only don't believe, which is your business, but you can't stand that others do and want to attack every chance you get.
I don't care if others want to believe whatever. And I don't attack as much as I question. If religious types want to praise amongst themselves, great. But if someone is always going around saying "Black power, Black power", they shouldn't get upset if someone says, "White power" back at them. No attacks, just reaction.

vantexan

I don't recall Bush constantly bringing up his religion, and he had just as much right to say he believed in God when asked as anyone else. And I don't believe he ever said anyone else's religion was second rate. There you go again, making up stuff as you go along. You in particular on this forum are always denouncing religion. It's your right to not believe, and my right to point out you are once again viciously attacking Christians, spreading hate speech, being angry and bitter, when all Christians are doing to you is existing. If you hate having someone saying Merry Christmas to you then by all means don't take Christmas off. Volunteer to get those huge piles of gifts delivered.

vantexan

I don't care if others want to believe whatever. And I don't attack as much as I question. If religious types want to praise amongst themselves, great. But if someone is always going around saying "Black power, Black power", they shouldn't get upset if someone says, "White power" back at them. No attacks, just reaction.
You're equating someone cheerfully wishing you a Merry Christmas with racist hate speech? That's really sad.

CJinx

because we have freedom of religion and freedom from religion here. We don't need the President telling everyone else their religion is second-rate. I am free to worship my license plate if I wish. Read the Constitution.
Let me quote the first amendment to the US Constitution for you:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Explain how you glean 'freedom from religion' from this.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You're equating someone cheerfully wishing you a Merry Christmas with racist hate speech? That's really sad.

What's wrong with "Happy Holidays?" Oh, right, that's the War on Christmas. You see, we aren't a "Christian Nation", or we're not supposed to be. We are supposed to have freedom to worship how we wish to worship, or not worship at all.

How would you feel if someone said "Praise Allah" or "Happy Ramadan"? What's the difference?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Let me quote the first amendment to the US Constitution for you:
Explain how you glean 'freedom from religion' from this.

Easy, but hard for you. "Free exercise thereof" can also be interpreted as not exercising your right. As in, I don't want any part of religion. We cannot be forced to be religious, therefore, we also have freedom from religion. Based on your logic, I can see why FedEx is a good fit for you.

CJinx

I'm guessing you missed the beginning of it which was "Congress shall make no law...". The amendment protects you from the government infringing on your freedom of religion. It doesn't stop the Jehovah's witnesses from knocking on your door or the pair of Mormon missionaries from trying to peddle their books on the streets or the Scientologists from hating everybody.

Interacting with the public as well as consuming media publications will naturally expose you to religion. You don't have an inherent "freedom" from it. If you must have complete isolation from religion, do us all a favor: quit your job, lock yourself up in your home, turn off your phone, disconnect your internet, smash your TV and burn the newspaper. You will then no longer be exposed to any outside influences that you don't want: but more importantly, we won't be exposed to you.

Or you can just stop being petty and realize the world doesn't revolve around you.

vantexan

What's wrong with "Happy Holidays?" Oh, right, that's the War on Christmas. You see, we aren't a "Christian Nation", or we're not supposed to be. We are supposed to have freedom to worship how we wish to worship, or not worship at all.

How would you feel if someone said "Praise Allah" or "Happy Ramadan"? What's the difference?

Who said it's wrong to say "Happy Holidays"? If someone uses that phrase more power to them. But you are saying that saying Merry Christmas infringes on your right to not believe. I don't accept Islam, but if a Muslim said "Praise Allah" in front of me I don't hate him for it. He's being sincere in his beliefs. My only contention with anyone about having different beliefs than me is if they try to force their beliefs on me, and especially if they get violent if I don't accept them. That's the same whether they are Christian, Muslim, or atheist. The difference between most Christians who speak out about their faith or just utter a simple greeting and you is they aren't doing it to be hateful or to force their point of view but the hatred comes through loud and clear in your statements. Don't you get tired of shaking your fist at the world?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm guessing you missed the beginning of it which was "Congress shall make no law...". The amendment protects you from the government infringing on your freedom of religion. It doesn't stop the Jehovah's witnesses from knocking on your door or the pair of Mormon missionaries from trying to peddle their books on the streets or the Scientologists from hating everybody.

Interacting with the public as well as consuming media publications will naturally expose you to religion. You don't have an inherent "freedom" from it. If you must have complete isolation from religion, do us all a favor: quit your job, lock yourself up in your home, turn off your phone, disconnect your internet, smash your TV and burn the newspaper. You will then no longer be exposed to any outside influences that you don't want: but more importantly, we won't be exposed to you.

Or you can just stop being petty and realize the world doesn't revolve around you.

Sorry. Nobody can be compelled to be religious or have religion thrust upon them by a governmental entity, so you do have an inherent freedom from it. The Constitution deals with individuals and their relationship to government, so Mormons etc are free to dispense their views at your door. I am also free to slam it in their face. See separation of church and state.

bbsam

Staff member
Sorry. Nobody can be compelled to be religious or have religion thrust upon them by a governmental entity, so you do have an inherent freedom from it. The Constitution deals with individuals and their relationship to government, so Mormons etc are free to dispense their views at your door. I am also free to slam it in their face. See separation of church and state.
Then you can't claim that religious beliefs are crammed down your throat. You are free not to engage in religious ceremony or debate, but for the latter you choose to. That's why I think prodriver is right about you. You really do want to believe and so enter into such dialogues. Maybe one day someone will say something to bring you to an "a-ha" moment.

oldngray

nowhere special
The Constitution clearly states freedom of religion, not freedom from religion regardless of what some people want it to say. It was mostly to mean there would be no official US state religion like exists in many European countries and allows people to worship however they want to.

Rainman

Its all good.

We are a Christian nation, founded on Christian principles. If you look at our constitution and other early documents, you can see how they mirror Christian principles.
The founding fathers deliberately allowed for people to have the right to worship as they chose. Freedom of religion, not freedom from religion, but they allowed for people to exercise that right also should that be what they would choose.

If someone were to say praise Allah or happy Ramadan I would have no problem with that. That is their choice, and I would respect that. Maybe Christians aren't as close minded as you think. We are not perfect, maybe not even good. We are forgiven of our sins so we don't have to bear the weight of our mistakes all our life long. We screw up, take it to god, and move on, trying to do better. That's the difference.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We are a Christian nation, founded on Christian principles. If you look at our constitution and other early documents, you can see how they mirror Christian principles.
The founding fathers deliberately allowed for people to have the right to worship as they chose. Freedom of religion, not freedom from religion, but they allowed for people to exercise that right also should that be what they would choose.

If someone were to say praise Allah or happy Ramadan I would have no problem with that. That is their choice, and I would respect that. Maybe Christians aren't as close minded as you think. We are not perfect, maybe not even good. We are forgiven of our sins so we don't have to bear the weight of our mistakes all our life long. We screw up, take it to god, and move on, trying to do better. That's the difference.

No. we are not a Christian Nation. I know you, and many others would like to say it is so. All religions are supposed to have equality under our system. They don't, but they should. So, we are a Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Krishna etc, nation, not a "Christian Nation". All religions have equal significance and importance, including my hypothetical worship of license plates.

Last edited:

Rainman

Its all good.
No. we are not a Christian Nation. I know you, and many others would like to say it is so. All religions are supposed to have equality under our system. They don't, but they should. So, we are a Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Krishna etc, nation, not a "Christian Nation". All religions have equal significance and importance, including my hypothetical worship of license plates.
When our nation was founded it was founded on Christian principles. Today we have a number of different religions influencing culture, with Christianity being the strongest influence. Our laws reflect the.Judeo-Christian heritage, not other religions. In this sense we are a Christian nation, while in actual present day worship we are represented by a plurality of religions, Christianity being the largest. The point could certainly be made that in daily practice we are longer a Christian nation. I don't feel that way myself but can see how others could interpret it that way.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
When our nation was founded it was founded on Christian principles. Today we have a number of different religions influencing culture, with Christianity being the strongest influence. Our laws reflect the.Judeo-Christian heritage, not other religions. In this sense we are a Christian nation, while in actual present day worship we are represented by a plurality of religions, Christianity being the largest. The point could certainly be made that in daily practice we are longer a Christian nation. I don't feel that way myself but can see how others could interpret it that way.

Uh, no. Our founding fathers wanted a distinct separation from church and state. We are a Judeo-Christian nation only in the sense that Christians are the majority religion. That doesn't mean you make the rules, or principles. My license plate religion is just as important as yours because freedom of religion also means equality of religion(s). It also means I am free to practice no religion at all (freedom from religion). So, as much as you'd like all of us to be Christians, it isn't going to happen. And Mohammed the Muslim is just important as Pat Robertson, the Super Christian.