Caught on camera: UPS Driver kicks dog.

10 point

When I say stepped back here's what I mean. He should of been more aware of his surroundings that the minute someone comes up to you in an aggressive manner, you give them space as not to enter yours. I will absolutely agree that you fall to your level of training. It becomes muscle memory. If someone is charging or swinging at me, my first instinct would to be get out of the line of attack for that. That's what I meant by stepping back. Things do happen fast so that's why you learn not to put yourself in harms way in the first place. Training in any martial art will make you aware. How you apply that to your life or anything else for that matter is what makes you calmer in stressful situations.

The driver is done. If you look at the ups Facebook page, it's gone viral. Ups won't let this guy back and I'm sure even through the grievance procedures, he won't make it.

It's ultimately sad because it could of been prevented
Unless...
The consignee did something physical to the driver at the building during delivery that put him on the defensive. Maybe there were prior actions by the customer that set this in motion.

The customer would have to admit it and the driver would still answer for our "non-violent policy" being breached at the truck. There's more to this story than what's on video.

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Something else to consider...

We have to assume, in this age of smart phones, that our actions are being recorded at all times.

If you are ever videotaped kicking a dog in self defense, it will look a lot better for you if that videotape shows you trying to give the dog a biscuit before resorting to kicking it.

Carrying biscuits makes you look like a dog lover, not the evil abusive dog hater that an angry customer will try to make you out to be if the case goes to court.

"Your Honor, it broke my heart to have to kick that dog, but I had no choice. I tried to give it a biscuit and be friendly, like I do with all the other dogs on my route, but it ignored the biscuit and kept snarling and growling and coming at me like it wanted to bite me."
I'll agree with statement. That's why I always have a box of biscuits in the car. Back when I started, we were encouraged to do this.

I'll also add with video everywhere, you have to hold yourself to a higher standard while in browns and working. It makes us big targets for everything by some people.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Unless...
The consignee did something physical to the driver at the building during delivery that put him on the defensive. Maybe there were prior actions by the customer that set this in motion.

The customer would have to admit it and the driver would still answer for our "non-violent policy" being breached at the truck. There's more to this story than what's on video.

That could be true. And at that point instead of continuing to load his cart or such, you just get in the truck and leave. Notify management and put it on them.

Go read the UPS Facebook page. There's some different stories on there but one thing is clear. This is bad for the driver from a PR standpoint and I'm betting UPS is going to make a harsh example of him to save face. I'm sure the ponytail has retained an attorney already. He's probably the one who released the video to the media.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I really don't care about the practice or your opinion... it doesn't apply to anything that has happened... yo u might wanna start a krav maga class at work, throw in some akido... just to make the drivers jedi's...

You're adorable. I'll give you points for trying. I know you were attempting a harsh comeback. Keep at it. Maybe one day....

Re-Raise

Driver is probably facing a suspension at least.

But I have to admit I kind of like the cut of his jib. Get control of your dog and get out of my space Ponytail.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
the story was in the New York Daily News posted 7-9-15 if someone can post the link.

the driver was disciplined. the guy said he thought the ups driver had "killed" his dog and was reacting. he also file battery charges saying that the driver had "clobbered" him not once but twice.

customer definitely sees money in his future.

someone please provide link. I googled UPS driver kicked dog and pushed owner and it was the first result.

thanks.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
the story was in the New York Daily News posted 7-9-15 if someone can post the link.

the driver was disciplined. the guy said he thought the ups driver had "killed" his dog and was reacting. he also file battery charges saying that the driver had "clobbered" him not once but twice.

someone please provide link. I googled UPS driver kicked dog and pushed owner and it was the first result.

thanks.
I wonder what extent of discipline

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
I'd buy our guy a beer, anytime. Anyone who thinks this is a travesty is an obvious weakling. Run up on me, with a raised fist, you'd be blessed if all I did was push you. The man is a hero.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

thanks.
LOL who ever uses the word "clobbered"

Orion inc.

I like turtles
says the UPS driver

Ok glasshouse. Hi pot, meet kettle.
We are both "ups drivers". The difference between you and I though are vast after that. I actually still graduated college while I'm wondering if you even made it through high school.

This is getting old with you. Time to move on princess.