Cellular Device as GPS

Foamer Pyle

You have 26 years in and still don't know where you are going?
Matter a fact, had a misload about 8 miles away from my area in a new neighborhood I had never been in. Google maps is always the most up to date. Paper maps suck, and are only good for Podunk towns that haven't changed in 20 years. However, if you like paper maps Chuck, stick to them.

wayfair

swollen member
Matter a fact, had a misload about 8 miles away from my area in a new neighborhood I had never been in. Google maps is always the most up to date. Paper maps suck, and are only good for Podunk towns that haven't changed in 20 years. However, if you like paper maps Chuck, stick to them.
I would have said I didn't know where it was at and that would be the end of that....

wayfair

swollen member
Why did the company need to tell you to do anything?
Open google maps, touch the microphone icon on the search bar, speak the address, look at the map, set the phone down, then drive there.
It's not complicated.
sorry dude, my phone costs over 750 bux... it's not work related and I won't even touch it unless for music

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Look, I've got a few map books. Just cause I prefer a phone doesn't mean I don't know how to use a map.
I'm not knocking people for preferring a paper map to a digital one. It's old school gangsta and I can appreciate that.
To each his own, do what works for you. I utilize every tool I have available to me to do my job.

Ideally I would never have to run a route blind. There's cover guys I work with who refuse to do it. They insist on the 3 day supervisor ride along they're entitled to when learning a new route. These are the same guys (who have more seniority than me) that take an off day when I get paid to learn a route blind. Google helps me do it, and I've got a map book open too the whole time.

If you use GPS as a tool, not a crutch, then it's no different than using a map book. I use both, and it gets me paid.
End rant.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Paper maps make memorization easier? If my first stop is 16 turns away from the hub, it's a lot easier to follow directions on my phone than to try and memorize 16 turns.

How old are you guys? Paper maps aren't the quickest or easiest way to get where you're going anymore.

FatherBrown

Look, I've got a few map books. Just cause I prefer a phone doesn't mean I don't know how to use a map.
I'm not knocking people for preferring a paper map to a digital one. It's old school gangsta and I can appreciate that.
To each his own, do what works for you. I utilize every tool I have available to me to do my job.

Ideally I would never have to run a route blind. There's cover guys I work with who refuse to do it. They insist on the 3 day supervisor ride along they're entitled to when learning a new route. These are the same guys (who have more seniority than me) that take an off day when I get paid to learn a route blind. Google helps me do it, and I've got a map book open too the whole time.

If you use GPS as a tool, not a crutch, then it's no different than using a map book. I use both, and it gets me paid.
End rant.
What is this mythical supervisor ride along you speak of??

FatherBrown

I'm not exactly sure.
I've also heard of this thing where a new p/t cover driver gets 30 days on a training route to qualify.
I can't verify its existence.
Nah we get our 30 days on the same route, but after that you never really know what they'll throw you into. But be sure whatever route it is, they're probably giving you 20 more stops than the bid driver.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Nah we get our 30 days on the same route, but after that you never really know what they'll throw you into. But be sure whatever route it is, they're probably giving you 20 more stops than the bid driver.
Ah yes, the mythical training route.
We've got one, they reserve it for the people they are trying to find a reason to disqualify.
I was lucky enough to not have to run this route until I had already qualified.... the trick to scratching it is to skip your lunch.
Typical UPS BullShiznit.