CEO

pretzel_man

I don't begrudge anyone their compensation. I made a fair living and hope most can say the same.

What I don't care for is what I've seen over the past several years. Plans and expenses on systems touted to "save money" that not only don't live up to that billing, but are more of an expense than before they were implemented......and that's not counting the cost of the system(s) themselves. Oh sure, you can manipulate the "numbers" to show otherwise.....but I'm not buying it.

As far as a day when UPS doesn't deliver small parcels......most likely. I think the first step towards that was when the name was officially changed from "United Parcel Service" to UPS. It wouldn't be the first time that a company has abandoned their roots. And it wouldn't be the first time that a company has gone 'belly-up' by doing so. Not saying that would happen.....just putting it out there as 'food for thought'.

I just wish that someone up top would take a good hard look at things. I think that they would notice that, too many times, a dollar is being jumped over to pick up a dime. But, of course, that would be earning their money....and it's much easier to pass the buck onto those that are not making the 'big money' and are already overworked. JMO

Tired:

I think everyone is disappointed when systems don't do everything that is touted. Often however, the cause is not the system but the maturity of the center team.

For instance, I can give my someone Microsoft Excel and tell him about the virtues of using spreadsheets. Unless that person understands basic math concepts and sees value in the the detailed analysis, he won't get any benefit.

You said that management would manipulate the numbers to show benefit when there was none. All I can say is that I've seen meticulous analysis on results, including DPS and PAS. While it didn't get everything expected, the results were still good overall. You also implied that you won't believe the answer but I thought I'd try....

As far as our name goes, did anyone explain to you why the decision was made to change to UPS? It was not to say that we would not deliver small parcels. It was to say that that's not all we do.

If we are going to grow (and its the CEO's job to set us on that track), we can't limit ourselves to only small package. Eskew said that we can't be a global logistics company and have a package in our logo. The vision is to become a global leader in logistics.

IBM used to be International Business Machines. NCR was National Cash Register.

P-Man

tieguy

Banned
I think the original question is an excellent one. I have wondered for years what any one person can do for a corporation on a daily basis to justify 5 million bucks a yr? What does that break down to? About 100,000 dollars per week!!! Yet corporate has cut many of our incentive programs and froze lower to mid management wages. I think Mr. Davis would be overpaid if he made 90 percent LESS than he makes now. But you know, I'm merely a truck driver.

Your post uniquely puts down the ceo and driver position.:happy-very:

From a grass roots perspective the CEO or series of CEO's we have had have provided a profitable company that have provided us with an excellent beni package and hopefully a secure retirement.

When you talk salary ask yourself what those 400,000 jobs associated with this company are worth.

Work right slow and safe

go here...and explain what each of these numbers mean and how to make them go up....be preparred to answer questions about them from hedge funds that own millions of shares of our stock.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=UPS&annual

It might be a good thing that he is getting stocks so when he does loose money on his stocks he will have a good write off on the tax he will have to pay not a bad gig. so the more the stock go's down he will loose short term the more he will make evey year on tax but long term he still will make more money long term

Work right slow and safe

hold on hold on

Let me say this if the comp is doing so bad and or losing money left and right.
Then why should everyone pay for this the people that make this comp move the face of the comp even mgr are paying too. So I ask why has the ceo not taken a pay cut to help this comp he is trying so hard to move it in the right way. Take a pay cut and be one with all the workers that put there blood sweet and tears to make him money he is just in it for himself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Your post uniquely puts down the ceo and driver position.:happy-very:

From a grass roots perspective the CEO or series of CEO's we have had have provided a profitable company that have provided us with an excellent beni package and hopefully a secure retirement.

When you talk salary ask yourself what those 400,000 jobs associated with this company are worth.

It wasn't my intent to put down either. I sometimes forget sarcasm doesn't easily translate to the written word. I have no particular axe to grind with Mr. Davis or any other "tie person." I just have a hard time grasping how anyone, be it a CEO, sports figure, mob boss, or internet poster can be worth the kind of salary he's getting. Especially when the folks who work for him (middle management) recieved no increase and the company feels as though we must cut programs and 401k matches to be profitable. I'm getting off my soapbox now.

pretzel_man

It wasn't my intent to put down either. I sometimes forget sarcasm doesn't easily translate to the written word. I have no particular axe to grind with Mr. Davis or any other "tie person." I just have a hard time grasping how anyone, be it a CEO, sports figure, mob boss, or internet poster can be worth the kind of salary he's getting. Especially when the folks who work for him (middle management) recieved no increase and the company feels as though we must cut programs and 401k matches to be profitable. I'm getting off my soapbox now.

I came to a similar conclusion as Tie, but maybe not for the same reason. I think that in a "free market", prices and salary migrate to what the market will bear.

Actors, sports stars, and CEO's get paid not what we think they are worth, but what they are worth to the marketplace. The same is true for drivers. By forming a union, you have helped tip the scales in your favor. In the case of a driver, the whole is worth more than the sum of its parts. Each driver gets more because they are not valued independently, but as a whole.

If I could wave a magic wand, teachers would make more than any of us. People would get paid based on their value to society.

However, that is a different system of government which time and history has shown to not be effective.

So our reality is that we live in a free market. We have a CEO who is the leader of a fortune 50 company. Just like you deserve to be well compensated as compared to your peers, he does as well.

P-Man

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Hoax

I have heard rumors that Salesguy supplies the toilet paper for Scott's private bathroom. The same reliable source says it is imprinted with

You're the greatest!!!
with his face right were the brown nose would do the most good.

Any truth to that?:wink2:

Actually, when you look at several items, he is actually a bargain.

Take any business, dont care what it is.

Then take the wage of the average worker at that business.

Then take the number of employees into the mix.

Then divide what Scott makes by the above. Do that as well for the other companies.

Scott is a bargain at his price.

As for what he does, remember, all the heads of the different divisions of UPS report to him. You think your sup spends a lot of time in meetings........

d

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax

I have heard rumors that Salesguy supplies the toilet paper for Scott's private bathroom. The same reliable source says it is imprinted with

with his face right were the brown nose would do the most good.

Any truth to that?:wink2:

d
That one I will pass on for soooo many reasons .... it is tempting though.