Changes to RDO

Holydriver

I would hope rdo never goes away. Trying to dig crap out of the 8000 shelf at your 3rd stop is not very efficient...
My first 15 today were 7800-8000 range. Pulled a few from rear door. Kind of explains why I worked 10 hours on a day I'd normally work 9

Overpaid Union Thug

Whether or not you can cycle RDO or ODO on and off is irrelevant. If the neighborhoods and stops are all screwy (like they normally are), old school that beotch and stop the truck, set up your stops from area knowledge and experience and drive that magilla like it's stolen. Orion and EDD don't know the shortcuts like we do!
I have no problem with going old school. Sometimes I wish we still did things that way.

JL 0513

Center mgr said it last month.

I think he's full of it. There's no way they're eliminating the RDO option. There's too many routes that are so bricked out that ODO is literally impossible unless you unload half the truck out on the sidewalk at each stop. Plus, they know full well you can only do RDO during peak. Route I ran today was so loaded the bulk head door was jamming until after noon. Orion wanted me in the middle of the car right away.

As long as the loads are loaded by RDO, then it will remain an option.

10 point

I think he's full of it. There's no way they're eliminating the RDO option. There's too many routes that are so bricked out that ODO is literally impossible unless you unload half the truck out on the sidewalk at each stop. Plus, they know full well you can only do RDO during peak. Route I ran today was so loaded the bulk head door was jamming until after noon. Orion wanted me in the middle of the car right away.

Yeah, full of it fits. We'll believe it after we see it.
I've never seen such waste.

S

selfcancelsignal

No changes to RDO here.

I started using ODO a lot more a few weeks back while incorporating my own knowledge, instead of doing the same with RDO.

I would encourage drivers to learn how to jump around in ODO like they do RDO if they're worried about RDO being eliminated, unless bulk doesn't allow it. I'm usually good to go on that front.

I only switch to RDO to do a quick check of a couple of business pockets that I want to deliver before starting my resi's, since ODO thinks I should deliver some of these businesses unsafely doing left hand turns into traffic, plus being near or during my pickups.

I will never leave business customers hanging as far as getting their packages at a reasonable delivery time so they can send them out during pickups unless I am absolutely directed to someday by clueless UPS management.

10 point

They were perplexed the other day when I ran about 80% and was 10 miles under their "solution". I asked them how that could be and they said " I don't know".

Next time I'm going to tell them that about noon I hold down the reboot button and it starts my miles over from that point.

10 point

No changes to RDO here.

I started using ODO a lot more a few weeks back while incorporating my own knowledge, instead of doing the same with RDO.

I would encourage drivers to learn how to jump around in ODO like they do RDO if they're worried about RDO being eliminated, unless bulk doesn't allow it. I'm usually good to go on that front.

I only switch to RDO to do a quick check of a couple of business pockets that I want to deliver before starting my resi's, since ODO thinks I should deliver some of these businesses unsafely doing left hand turns into traffic, plus being near or during my pickups.

I will never leave business customers hanging as far as getting their packages at a reasonable delivery time so they can send them out during pickups unless I am absolutely directed to someday by clueless UPS management.
I check rdo to see how many total pkgs are with the air that's separated in oro.

35years

Gravy route
Oh the joy
They are currently installing both EDD and ORION at the same time in our center.
EDD (akaRDO) was a Godsend. You can check if those special stops you need to get off out of order are on your truck today, without digging or setting up. RDO allowed you deliver without setting up any section. Just go to the shelf and pull the number of packages for that stop and push the rest forward without sorting.

ORION (aka ODO) is another story.

Holydriver

I agree with you to an extent, however, I don't think a multi billion dollar company that invested in a multi million (maybe billion?) dollar software tool will let the thousands of employees simply have the option to turn it on and off at there whim. The trucks may be loaded in RDO forever, but the option to view the route on the DIAD probably won't remain. Furthermore, they will probably switch the RDO order up and have separate neighborhoods loaded out of order to make RDO just as useless as edd

oldngray

nowhere special
I agree with you to an extent, however, I don't think a multi billion dollar company that invested in a multi million (maybe billion?) dollar software tool will let the thousands of employees simply have the option to turn it on and off at there whim. The trucks may be loaded in RDO forever, but the option to view the route on the DIAD probably won't remain. Furthermore, they will probably switch the RDO order up and have separate neighborhoods loaded out of order to make RDO just as useless as edd

Probably what will happen is a directive from corporate to turn off RDO which will quietly be ignored after the problems arise. center manager's will pretend ODO is working but they have to meet their numbers so will turn a blind eye at RDO use.

ArcherUTR

No changes to RDO here.

You are fixing Orion for them, which is exactly what they want and need to complete there end game.

JL 0513

But it's a program that ignores some realities. They'll be looking to go out of business if they take all decisions away from the driver. They can come watch me unload 150 pieces onto the sidewalk to get one residential pkg in the low 7000 section to save .2 miles.

ArcherUTR

Whether or not you can cycle RDO or ODO on and off is irrelevant. If the neighborhoods and stops are all screwy (like they normally are), old school that beotch and stop the truck, set up your stops from area knowledge and experience and drive that magilla like it's stolen. Orion and EDD don't know the shortcuts like we do!

How can a young cover driver do this when all he has ever known is ORION?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
EDD (akaRDO) was a Godsend. You can check if those special stops you need to get off out of order are on your truck today, without digging or setting up. RDO allowed you deliver without setting up any section. Just go to the shelf and pull the number of packages for that stop and push the rest forward without sorting.

ORION (aka ODO) is another story.
You must have a short memory. Entire loops had to be manually re-traced after the EDD computerized right turn only mapping screwed them up.