COD discrepancy

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Back when I was a newbie I collected a personal check for a certified check or money order only...it was for a few hundred dollars.....the guys check bounced...tried to collect from him for a week with no success..he ignored the door when he knew I was outside...was told by steward they cannot take it from my check...ups told me security will take care of it and that was the last I heard about it

Your steward is incorrect, especially if you did not follow the delivery instructions for certified funds.

clean hairy

Then why wouldn't the receiver use his credit or debit card when they ordered the merchandise?
Possibly because they do not trust the shipper to get the order out in a timely manner, or there is a history of the shipper dilley dallying around before they ship out the order.
Good point. I had one once where the shipper claimed they wanted a money order as payment. I know damn well they didn't. Got the blame passed to me because the customer's check bounced.
Have the folks at the Customer Counter track it.
Types of payment accepted should be on the Manifest page of the tracking.

oldngray

nowhere special
Possibly because they do not trust the shipper to get the order out in a timely manner, or there is a history of the shipper dilley dallying around before they ship out the order.

Have the folks at the Customer Counter track it.
Types of payment accepted should be on the Manifest page of the tracking.

Some customers prefer COD because that way they don't need to tie up their money until the merchandise arrives. Those places frequently are new or not trusted enough by the shipper to give them terms such as being able to wait 30 days or so before paying for their order.

clean hairy

Page 19 of the Tariffs states that UPS is not liable for any bounced checks. Any issues with validity of payment is between Shipper and Receiver.
The tariffs were updated Jan 2016

oldngray

nowhere special
Page 19 of the Tariffs states that UPS is not liable for any bounced checks. Any issues with validity of payment is between Shipper and Receiver.

The only issue would be if the shipper marked it cashier check/money order only and the driver took a bad personal check. Normal COD's are not UPS' problem.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS has never been responsible for bounced checks unless the driver disregarded the delivery instructions regarding form of payment.

Savvy412

Last week they said I was $100
Short and I swear I double checked at the time 1000 times. And the guy at the store. I have no idea how that happened

NonDeliverOtherMissed

I have a lady on my route who gets c.o.ds everyday...she ALWAYS post dates the checks for a month ahead of time...been doing it for a few years and nothin has been said to me about not accepting the post dated checks so the shipper(s) must be Ok with it

clean hairy

Here it is from page 19 of the tariffs, you decide if a driver should be liable based on what our tariffs say:
38.3 Consignee’s Checks in Payment

of C.O.D.s

Unless instructions to collect a cashier’s

check or money order only are shown

on the C.O.D. tag (in conformity with

the instructions on the tag) or systemgenerated

label, UPS will accept a check

or other negotiable instrument issued

by or on behalf of the Consignee. When

instructions to collect a cashier’s check

or money order only are clearly indicated

on the C.O.D. tag or system-generated

label, UPS reserves the right to accept

a cashier’s check, money order, official

bank check, or other similar instrument

issued by or on behalf of the Consignee.

All checks or other negotiable instruments

(including cashier’s checks, official

bank checks, money orders, and other

similar instruments) tendered in payment

of C.O.D.s will be accepted by UPS based

solely upon the Shipper assuming all

risk relating thereto, including, but not

limited to, risk of non-payment, insufficient

funds, and forgery, and UPS shall

not be liable upon any such instrument.

rorojo

Last week they said I was $100
Short and I swear I double checked at the time 1000 times. And the guy at the store. I have no idea how that happened
File a grievance. If they didn't notify you within fifteen days they are s.o.l.

Last edited:

rorojo

I have a lady on my route who gets c.o.ds everyday...she ALWAYS post dates the checks for a month ahead of time...been doing it for a few years and nothin has been said to me about not accepting the post dated checks so the shipper(s) must be Ok with it
Stop allowing her to this. If her check ever bounces you will be liable.

onestoptogo

Just got a driver follow-up for a non collected cod for over 800 dollars for a new driver who was covering my route. I have had the old school cod's come to the place where no cod prompt is given by the diad. I wonder if they teach the new guys what the old style cod tags look like?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Short of calling BS, I find it very hard to believe that you have never been spoken to about this.

oldngray

nowhere special
I had customers who would write in the remarks for the shipper to not cash the check for a month but the date of the check would still be the date of the delivery. If the shipper waited to cash the checks that would be their choice.