contract ideas??????

here is one of the ideas i have for the new contract......

give me a reason not to call off.

for every 3 months you go without calling off give us an extra optional day. or to make it easy for every 10 weeks give us a day. that would be 4 a year. (either or) we all know that calling off in Nov. and Dec is very frowned upon. code these a different way to keep them seprate from other opt. days. at the end of the year if an employee has any of these earned "sick days" left pay them off at time and a half.

please reply.......what do you think

Last edited:

Bigryry3125

You already get triple time after 9.5, why would we go down to double??

As a matter of fact, everyone know that UPS's most profitable time is the months of November and December, we should be able to file 9.5 grievances during these months also!!

kingOFchester

You already get triple time after 9.5, why would we go down to double??

As a matter of fact, everyone know that UPS's most profitable time is the months of November and December, we should be able to file 9.5 grievances during these months also!!
Don't think I have ever seen triple time??

kingOFchester

I wonder if the new contract will lengthen progression for full timers......and lengthen the time for part timers to get insurance. Seems as though this is what they have been doing every contract. Some day we will see a 25 year progression to make top rate!!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Personally, I would accept a small raise over the length of the contract and be given double time for any OT. We, as drivers, know that they abuse our daily dispatch and make sure we are out there for 10 hours paid a night.

HOW CAN WE BE LOOKED DOWN ON BY THE PUBLIC DURING A STRIKE, WHEN ALL WE ASK IS TO BE BETTER COMPENSATED WHEN WORKING LATE ! The ball is then in Atlanta's court.

This and strengthening the contract language on using technology to discipline drivers. That is not too much to ask for.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

HOW CAN WE BE LOOKED DOWN ON BY THE PUBLIC DURING A STRIKE, WHEN ALL WE ASK IS TO BE BETTER COMPENSATED WHEN WORKING LATE!

You're kidding, right? The general public does not know (or care) that some of us have to work late. All they know is that we make $30+/hr and enjoy an industry leading benefit package for a job which requires only a HS diploma. A strike in 2013 would be a public relations disaster.

I drove by the Verizon picket line daily. I honked my horn in support of the workers but privately did not support their cause and thought to myself "get your asses back to work". I imagine a UPS strike would garner the same reaction.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You're kidding, right? The general public does not know (or care) that some of us have to work late. All they know is that we make $30+/hr and enjoy an industry leading benefit package for a job which requires only a HS diploma. A strike in 2013 would be a public relations disaster.

I drove by the Verizon picket line daily. I honked my horn in support of the workers but privately did not support their cause and thought to myself "get your asses back to work". I imagine a UPS strike would garner the same reaction.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME !!!

If we ask for a big raise making $30 an hour, then I can see where you're coming from. BUT NOT when we want to be compensated for working 11 hours a day.
When I'm delivering Valentine's day flowers at 830 pm when I was dispatched 50 stops over max, BELIEVE ME THAT FAMILY KNOWS AND CARES IM WORKING LATE. We had a driver punch out 1045 Tuesday night !!!

I don't know what Hickville you live in, but trust me, ASKING FOR COMPENSATION FOR WORKING LATE IS NOT MAKING THE ECONOMY CRASH !!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Striking over extra compensation for working late will backfire when you have people who have been out of work for 2, 3 or even more years and would do anything for a job, especially one that pays as much as ours with the benefits that we enjoy. I agree that something needs to be done to get our dispatches down but any debate over this needs to stay out of the media as there will be little to no support.

In '97 we had people drive by our picket line and offer their opinions on our work stoppage. These people knew our hourly wage down to the penny as it had been reported in the local paper. Time were good in 1997---they are not in 2013---public support will not be there this time.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
here is one of the ideas i have for the new contract......

give me a reason not to call off.

for every 3 months you go without calling off give us an extra optional day. or to make it easy for every 10 weeks give us a day. that would be 4 a year. (either or) we all know that calling off in Nov. and Dec is very frowned upon. code these a different way to keep them seprate from other opt. days. at the end of the year if an employee has any of these earned "sick days" left pay them off at time and a half.

please reply.......what do you think

I don't call off so this is a non issue. I take that back, I did call in once back in the 90's.

brownboxman

My idea is the same one I had 10 years ago. Vacation selection. (24 yrs here) There would be 2 levels of selection time. A high time and a low time. High time would be the months of June July and August, plus the week after Christmas and whatever spring break week is in the local area. A total of about 15 weeks of the year. Everything else would be low time. When you sign up for vacation you get 3 high time weeks, anything beyond that you pick as you want. I am tired of young drivers being locked out of summer and other weeks when they can have time with their families. How about we show the world what being brothers and sisters in a union means and share the wealth. We have way too many drivers taking all their vaca in the summer here when there are folks who after 15 yrs are left out. And yes I select 3 weeks in the high time every year some yrs 2 weeks for as long as I could only to have someone greedy under me take all in the summer.

GSOHUB

Profit sharing bonuses....GM blue collar workers getting a 7,000 bonus for the record profit. Sounds like a decent option to include.

GSOHUB

Every employee who has worked a set number of hours for the year , lets say 750, gets the same bonus regardless of employment status...those with less than the needed hours get a prorated bonus.