Contract talks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In the thread "Driver Buyouts" Its been stated that you will never see a buy out, without it I don't think a tier system will pass. Full timers would never vote to cut their own throat by giving the company incentive to rid themselves of higher priced workers without something to help break their fall.

Google "signing bonus".

Re-Raise

I would say "adequately compensated" is tied directly to profits.
The money you refer to that is used to improve infrastructure and technology, in most cases, is tied to the bottom line and written off against said profits.
In the face of record profits, we deserve and should demand our fair share.
You continually belittle the driver position as being one of an uneducated, unskilled profession not worthy of the compensation earned.
I see us more as craftsmen that served an apprenticeship to gain our status within the company.
The majority who start the journey never reach this plateau.
Most of us worked many years part time, then enduried a qualifying period followed by a lengthy pay progression.
Give yours back if you want, but I will take every penny without batting an eye.
I have earned it!

+1

Re-Raise

the cost advantage will grow so large it will ultimately force UPS into bankruptcy.

Bankruptcy ???? Really. I re -read the earnings report and strangely mixed between the increased dividend and the 2.7 billion to buy back stock I saw no mention of the word bankruptcy.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The profit on ground packages is approaching "zero" ... once you consider the infrastructure investments and maintenance to support Ground.

Hard to believe when we make a profit on a 20 dollar Next Day Air but the 60 pound ground I picked up yesterday was 47 dollars and that we don't make money on?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hard to believe when we make a profit on a 20 dollar Next Day Air but the 60 pound ground I picked up yesterday was 47 dollars and that we don't make money on?

You cherry picked. If all Ground was 60 pounds it would be a different story. The old sales adage - "heavier, larger, longer" - these increase revenue and profitability.

The average revenue on a ground package is less than $10.

upsgrunt

The trend I'm noticing is that packages are getting bigger and heavier and oversize- way more so than even 2 years ago.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The profit on ground packages is approaching "zero" ... once you consider the infrastructure investments and maintenance to support Ground.

One time invetsments like Telematics and keyless vehicles???
Investments made conveniently in advance of contract negotiations to falsely create this illusion of "approaching zero".
Had we concentrated on retaining the volume we are diverting to the USPS in urban settings, I believe we could have grown our infrastructure in the form of vehicles and staffing and been better prepared to accomidate the ever growing internet sector of home delivery.
Is it not true that each additional package to an individual address becomes exponentually more profitable than the first?
I believe the house that now gets 1 or 2 packages a week will soon get 3 or 4 a day.
Instead we spend on gizmos and trinkets while doing everything possible to avoid hiring.
This company is more focused on satisfying the instant gratification mindset of modern day stock holder than it is to securing a solid stradegy for the future.

CharleyHustle

...which is counterintuitive in a union environment.

Not at all. I purposely gave 3 examples, one of which is never unionized, one which you could have companies with union and companies with non-union employees and the last where virtually every one is unionized. It could be argued that the totally unionized work force may have the greatest disparity in compensation.

Scoot

Had a brief conversation with my steward this morning. He thinks telematics for discipline and weekend work will be two things the company will push for. I hope he's wrong. It wouldn't surprise me if he's not.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Had a brief conversation with my steward this morning. He thinks telematics for discipline and weekend work will be two things the company will push for. I hope he's wrong. It wouldn't surprise me if he's not.

Our supplement already has language in place in the event UPS decides to start delivering ground on Saturday. It should come as no surprise that UPS would like to use Telematics for discipline.

Scoot

Our supplement already has language in place in the event UPS decides to start delivering ground on Saturday. It should come as no surprise that UPS would like to use Telematics for discipline.

That part was no surprise. The weekends part was. What does our language say about it?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I have a suggestion ... don't take investment advice form this steward.

Re-Raise

What is it you are trying to say here?

Do you guys in the office think that all those packages out there that we are delivering are just a distraction from all the money you are making for the company.

Did I miss something? Do we sell hotdogs now?

None of the other branches of UPS would exist without being piggy backed on the UPS ground system. Air packages wouldn't be as profitable if the driver weren't already there delivering ground packages.

Nobody would contact UPS logistics to streamline their shipping of Fed Ex packages.

If we weren 't the industry leader in parcel delivery none of the other branches would exist.