Could self driving trucks make the union a lot less powerful?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
UPS cant even provide clean bathrooms with soap and towels to dry your hands with, and your wondering about UPS providing self driven trucks?

HAHAHAH

TOS.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Here's the feeder model.

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1400181972.274623.jpg

Sent using a Potato

Nike

About a fourth of all UPS trucks still are manual transmission or lack power steering. Many of the vehicles in my hub are practically falling apart as it is. While the technology may be there (Google), the company is so far behind true technological innovations that I don't see this happening for many years.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
About a fourth of all UPS trucks still are manual transmission or lack power steering. Many of the vehicles in my hub are practically falling apart as it is. While the technology may be there (Google), the company is so far behind true technological innovations that I don't see this happening for many years.
Really? think as a corporation for a minute. Take a loss for a year or two and cut wages in half or continue to pay drivers way above the industry average.

I could be wrong but I see ups as a very early adopter of this tech.

margaritaville

People are being kind of ignorant towards technology in this thread. In the 80s you would have to carry a CD players, computer, GPS, big ass camera, seperate video recorder, pager, and a bunch of bulk much :censored2:tier other things to get what you get in a small little cellphone and this was in a very short period of time. We went from flying in general to flying to the moon in less than 100 years.

But with that said i guess we will just have to wait in. Cant predict the future.

Nike

Really? think as a corporation for a minute. Take a loss for a year or two and cut wages in half or continue to pay drivers way above the industry average.

I could be wrong but I see ups as a very early adopter of this tech.
People are being kind of ignorant towards technology in this thread. In the 80s you would have to carry a CD players, computer, GPS, big ass camera, seperate video recorder, pager, and a bunch of bulk much :censored2:tier other things to get what you get in a small little cellphone and this was in a very short period of time. We went from flying in general to flying to the moon in less than 100 years.

But with that said i guess we will just have to wait in. Cant predict the future.

Ha, we're not talking about cellphones or televisions we're talking about vehicles, which you have to think have changed very little in the past 100 years

Ok yeah they have become more efficient, lighter, use different base materials etc.
But the end result is the same. You get in them, you turn them on, you drive on a road, you turn them off, you get out and do your thing.

Vehicles, cars, trucks, etc have evolved very little in the past century and I don't see that happening much in the next 25 years, which shouldn't matter much for anybody currently working in this company. After that all bets are off.

It is far more likely that an upstart delivery company would incorporate such technology and then UPS might buy them out and bring such technology into the fold, not for them to unilaterally decide one day to have driverless vehicles all throughout the company

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
All they have to do is find the same clown that fell for Orion and after spending millions the company could save at least a couple of bucks.

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't think any driver has to worry about being replaced by a robot for the next couple of centuries. Who would UPS blame for every little scratch and broken mirror---certainly not themselves. If UPS don't even trust the gas pumps to turn off by themselves or have cruise control on their vehicles what makes anyone think they would go totally automated? I would file this story in the "packages soon to be delivered by drones" BS file. Same with having the trucks loaded by robots. Maybe if every package was the same size-- but it just isn't going to happen. They wouldn't be able to stuff those last minute cuts into an already over loaded truck. How are they going to program their robot to load the last 25 packages and the 2-wheeler up front in the cab because there isn't any where else to put them.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
"They wouldn't be able to stuff those last minute cuts into an already over loaded truck."

That's where the hydraulic rams come in.:funny:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ha, we're not talking about cellphones or televisions we're talking about vehicles, which you have to think have changed very little in the past 100 years

Ok yeah they have become more efficient, lighter, use different base materials etc.
But the end result is the same. You get in them, you turn them on, you drive on a road, you turn them off, you get out and do your thing.

Vehicles, cars, trucks, etc have evolved very little in the past century and I don't see that happening much in the next 25 years, which shouldn't matter much for anybody currently working in this company. After that all bets are off.

It is far more likely that an upstart delivery company would incorporate such technology and then UPS might buy them out and bring such technology into the fold, not for them to unilaterally decide one day to have driverless vehicles all throughout the company
Yeah cars haven't evolved at all. Lol they park themselves now stop themselves to prevent accidents and steer and stabilize themselves if need be. His keep your head in that sand though.

oldngray

nowhere special
Self driving trucks would be ORION x 1000. It would only work in Clarksville. There are too many variable in real life that can't be predicted. Imagine one of those trucks running over a little kid not to mention accidents due to other drivers behaving unpredictably.

Foamer Pyle

Self driving cars can't even drive in the rain at the moment. UPS would need to keep enough trained drivers on call in case it might flurry that day. How would a robot driver know if it ok to drive down a driveway? How would it know where its acceptable to double park? How could it hear a school bus driving around a blind corner, so it can pull over? It may be done someday, but not in our lifetimes.
You think too much.

Sent using BrownCafe App