Day after Christmas --- what a mess

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So the 26th, ..... What the h*** is going on with this company ??????

Let's see.
Plastered all over the national news about UPS Fail.
Senior management says get every package delivered you can, forget cost, just do it!
District, Division, Center manager passes it down = you saw it.

It's called knee jerk reaction.

Pkgcar1988

I took 2 stops back out at 730, one was mine the other was another drivers that I was driving by anyway so he could go home (he helped me out on Xmas eve with 30 stops so we called it even lol)

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Not really this actually makes sense. Ups just got raked over the coals for service failures on Xmas eve. The last two days all we have heard is zero missed today zero missed.

People have been crying for us to go back to superior service. We do and now everyone bitches anyway. I have a feeling "every package every day" may once again be our motto until this all blows over.
You nailed it and posted this just before me saying the same thing.
Seen this happen many a times.
Whatever!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You nailed it and posted this just before me saying the same thing.
Seen this happen many a times.
Whatever!
I beat hoax to it wow. I think I'll pop that champagne to celebrate. May not happen again.

Or should I be depressed because as my wife says. I'm on here way too much.

PT Car Washer

Not really this actually makes sense. Ups just got raked over the coals for service failures on Xmas eve. The last two days all we have heard is zero missed today zero missed.

People have been crying for us to go back to superior service. We do and now everyone bitches anyway. I have a feeling "every package every day" may once again be our motto until this all blows over.
That is the way I am reading it. More irrational decisions just to show we are doing everything possible. Won't last long. Then business as usual.

Pkgcar1988

If I would have been one of the guys that that called at 500 to come in I believe I would have said just as soon as I finish this 6 pack I'll be in,lol

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That is the way I am reading it. More irrational decisions just to show we are doing everything possible. Won't last long. Then business as usual.

You say irrational but we use to call this service. Doing everything possible to get someone's package delivered.

Now the conversation usually goes more one I had this summer.

Me: do you want me to run this misload in x town 20 miles away?

Sup: what service level is the package?

Me: ground.

Sup: no

Me: why not? I'm willing to go do it. Don't bother me.

Sup: no way in hell am I paying you $50 of OT to deliver a ground package. We would lose money on that.

Me: what about every package every day?

Sup: so what we should lose money on a package just so someone can get it when they were supposed to?

HBGPreloader

It sounds a lot like our preload after Christmas.
Our start time was 5:00. But, we were supposed to call in to see if we were needed. The supers made everyone show up, only to send nearly half of us home.
Those of us who stayed, stood around for about an hour and did nothing in the 3.5 hours we worked.
They also worked a partial shift Christmas night. But, they probably started them at midnight to avoid paying the overtime.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
That is why they will not learn from this debacle. It'll be back to wheel of dispatch, busted out routes, and 11 hour days. The difference between peak and the rest of the year is during peak you get a helper.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Same in our center. Started at 850, left building at 930 with 48 stops. Waited all day for air meet got it at 230, made my pick ups done at 430, 73 stops, ga text at 500 more air on the way, returned to building waited, only had one, so gave it to a driver who had 3.
Went home at 521.
I think they made the right call, trying to make service on every pkg that showed up.

jaker

trolling
I had a good day started at 9 left the hub at 10 with 110 stops got done delivering at 3 drove in and punched out at 4

AKCoverMan

I had a route with about 20ish biz deliveries in the am including a big bulk stop for Grainger. Then an air pickup run. Many pups closed but still in board.

Had time to get a delicious Italian Beef sandwich waiting for drivers to bring me their air. Then after brining in the air did a ground pup run downtown..again mostly drive-bys as they were closed..followed by a 30+ min drive to the south side for get this 15 resi stops.. Easy day and 8.5 hours

Dragon

Package Center Manager
December 26, what happened in my center:

Preload start 530am

Drivers out the door at 905 with a 9am start

All drivers back 630pm

Local Sort Wrapped 830pm

Planning anyone?

Chemo

How in God's name are you on call in package after 25 years? I'd have laughed in his face if he told me to call at 7am for a start time.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
In my center they give too many drivers the day off so those working can't get it all done. This is by design, so, the day after that there is extra volume.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
How many closed send agains did you end up putting back in to a trailer/package car to be re-processed on Monday?

300-400 a lot of medical office supplies, other business and people in apt's still out of town.

Not a big money making day. I just tried to minimize the hassle to everyone.