Day after Thanksgiving requirement

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Local 177 is volunteer
I'm not working. Perks of the 177
And the perks of local 177 is that Black Friday is a volunteer only day, we are not required to work. I do work because it is double time + holiday. I do not put my name on the volunteer list, management has to call and ask me if I can work.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I get guarantee pay on almost every check so when I go on vacation, which I try to take in conjunction with a paid holiday, I get 5 extra hours plus 8 hours of holiday pay.
I'm just a PTer so I'm a little dumb. So when you get guaranteed pay on most of your paychecks....does that mean, on those days, you actually worked less than 8 hrs?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Local 177 is volunteer

And the perks of local 177 is that Black Friday is a volunteer only day, we are not required to work. I do work because it is double time + holiday. I do not put my name on the volunteer list, management has to call and ask me if I can work.
Yup....Locals 177 and 804 are the only locals where Black Friday is completely voluntary. We can even volunteer...and not show up and they can't discipline us....technically.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Local 177 is volunteer

Just curious-----let's say you volunteer, run your own route and are able to get rid of most everything; however, 2 of your loop mates choose not to work and their routes are not dispatched. Do you end up getting work off of either of those routes on the following Monday?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Just curious-----let's say you volunteer, run your own route and are able to get rid of most everything; however, 2 of your loop mates choose not to work and their routes are not dispatched. Do you end up getting work off of either of those routes on the following Monday?
Seriously? This isn't the BOG. Just because a driver doesn't come in doesn't mean his route doesn't run. That's what seasonals are for. Seasonals who are not getting paid double time or holiday pay....Just the way UPS likes it.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
It would depend on the volume for Monday. But I would assume those two routes would run Friday with cover drivers or extra drivers who volunteered.

Browntown2014

The money is great, obviously. This one of the few days I'd rather have off to spend with my family. What a joke the Central is in this regard - here are your holidays BUT you can be required to work. It is mind boggling to me why we currently pay union dues. The company does whatever the :censored2: they want to do anyway.

Oh good lord dude, drama much? You are probably making $75 an hour if not more on Black Friday.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Actually he does get double time. 45 hours vacation pay plus 2 days holiday pay. So Thur & Fri he is paid double. At least that's how it is here.

Just like we get triple time?

Not really. I am paid, and so is Dave, for the holiday whether I work or not.

If I work, I am working for double time. Dave got his holiday pay, so his vacation pay for that day is straight time. He did get an extra days pay for Thursday, holiday and vacation.

I will make almost $1000 that day, but I am only working for double time. I will have already been paid $275 for the holiday.

Triple time does sound pretty good, though.

ManInBrown

.....packages do not sit in the building because drivers take a day off.
Yes they do. As of right now word is, only 20% of the drivers in my center will be working Black Friday. Those routes sit in the building. The customers on those routes do not get serviced. The only packages from those routes that will be dispatched will be NDA which will be split up among air drivers and the rest of the crew that shows up. I would assume hospital packages as well. We don't have 25 casuals to run routes.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yes they do. As of right now word is, only 20% of the drivers in my center will be working Black Friday. Those routes sit in the building. The customers on those routes do not get serviced. The only packages from those routes that will be dispatched will be NDA which will be split up among air drivers and the rest of the crew that shows up. I would assume hospital packages as well. We don't have 25 casuals to run routes.
80% of your total building drivers is 25? Maybe that's why. In larger buildings.....we have lots of seasonals.