Delivery Driver Jobs To Disappear by 2030

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You don't HAVE to do it 100% that way.

Orion is not to be followed stop for stop but is rather to be used as a tool.

85-90% trace is the goal.
And until they put a visible percentage that you can see in the diad through out the day, it's not our job to calculate percentages and then make decisions based on that. That affects service and safety. It would of been real easy to write that tool into the code software. Until then, it's ups management that has to worry about that. I only worry about safety and service.

CharleyHustle

My comment was posted in a topic on robot truck drivers and such. If a computer tells a robot to do something, will the robot figure out a better way? Will a robot not go to its first stop if it thinks that it would be better to deliver the bulk stop first? Will a robot deliver the business stop that is to be delivered last out of trace? Will the robot use the solution as a tool?

bbsam

Staff member
My comment was posted in a topic on robot truck drivers and such. If a computer tells a robot to do something, will the robot figure out a better way? Will a robot not go to its first stop if it thinks that it would be better to deliver the bulk stop first? Will a robot deliver the business stop that is to be delivered last out of trace? Will the robot use the solution as a tool?
Those are all parameters that can be programmed and reprogrammed over time to meet fully optimized integration.

clean hairy

Of course, there is one interesting thought in this.
The center manager trying to threaten the robot for being over on miles and time!
The robot will be given a warning letter?
And, not getting a reaction from a robot might drive the center manager'S nuts!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And until they put a visible percentage that you can see in the diad through out the day, it's not our job to calculate percentages and then make decisions based on that. That affects service and safety. It would of been real easy to write that tool into the code software. Until then, it's ups management that has to worry about that. I only worry about safety and service.

...as do I, which is why I refer to Orion while choosing the optimum delivery route rather than blindly following it stop for stop...

CharleyHustle

Those are all parameters that can be programmed and reprogrammed over time to meet fully optimized integration.

And how long does this take? How about the parameters that change on a real time basis? Customer delays, on call pickups, traffic, weather, even if you get ahead of schedule. When will that robot roll a 300 game, and only 300 games thereafter?

bbsam

Staff member
And how long does this take? How about the parameters that change on a real time basis? Customer delays, on call pickups, traffic, weather, even if you get ahead of schedule. When will that robot roll a 300 game, and only 300 games thereafter?
The cell phone I am typing on has more computing power that desktops of 10 years ago.

I rarely ever bet against technology especially when it has the backing of UPS type money.

Wilson

Who the friend' is going to let any of these crazy :censored2: things near their home. Freaky cracked out robots!
They won't go near a home. The system will be crafted around the capabilities of the "machines". Drop boxes in front of driveways or apartment units. For the most part it will being with voluntary acceptance with mandatory acceptance. Much like driver less cars on highways. First its a novelty, then early adopters, to mandatory requirement.

Think of horse as an example. In 1890 their was 35 million+ horses being used for transportation. By 1920 that level dropped to 2 million. By 1940 it was virtually zero. The rate of technological development and its integration are going at paces that is blindsiding everyone. The fact remains that our pension rely on current workers paying into the system. Without them I can't even imagine what a pension system without current contributions would look like but I suspect it will resemble bankruptcy.

CharleyHustle

The cell phone I am typing on has more computing power that desktops of 10 years ago.

I rarely ever bet against technology especially when it has the backing of UPS type money.

So you don't know how long? Can you get 10 times more things done on your cell phone than a desk top from 10 years ago? If you can, you're a rarity. According to Wilson it took an invention as innovative and far reaching as the automobile 50 years to put something as dumb and backward thinking as a horse out of business. Some would argue, that the internal combustion engine has created far more problems than it solved.

The biggest problem companies with UPS type money have moving forward is how much money will it have when it is getting taxed more than its profits to support all the people who's jobs are now being done by a robot.

bbsam

Staff member
So you don't know how long? Can you get 10 times more things done on your cell phone than a desk top from 10 years ago? If you can, you're a rarity. According to Wilson it took an invention as innovative and far reaching as the automobile 50 years to put something as dumb and backward thinking as a horse out of business. Some would argue, that the internal combustion engine has created far more problems than it solved.

The biggest problem companies with UPS type money have moving forward is how much money will it have when it is getting taxed more than its profits to support all the people who's jobs are now being done by a robot.
No. I don't know.

But I don't think we are looking at robot delivery in the future so much as "dumbing down" the job to the point where an automated vehicle transports a package handler to locations where deliveries are made. That's not 50 years away. Maybe 20. Technology doesn't move on a linear trajectory but more exponential in nature. Orion may look like a joke today but have you considered the massive amounts of data being collected every day and how that will shape the UPS of tomorrow?

MAKAVELI

TUT

A spokesperson for the car company told the Associated Press that the robot can be programmed for specific tasks and that the company believes the malfunction was due to human error.

Agreed and since it starts at the top I think the human CEO should be fired. :)

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
A spokesperson for the car company told the Associated Press that the robot can be programmed for specific tasks and that the company believes the malfunction was due to human error.

You didn't really expect them to say it was the robot's fault, did you?