Delivery Driver Jobs To Disappear by 2030

TUT

I always like your view points. What do you think will end up happening to package delivery

Buckle up... I had a long winded version reducing to bullet points.

-Large millennial businesses feel they are clever and fresh, to me they are more of the same want more for less, nothing new. Pressuring carriers with unreasonable demands to the volumes they bring, over-dreaming. They continue to push for 2 hour appt windows for next to no additional cost and for all their packages. Obviously it will blow up your systems, they just don't want to get it.

-UPS/Fedex are reviewing emerging delivery ideas, the issue is they want a premium profit associated since they stress their systems. So what happens is they create them at a premium and then are rarely used due to cost. See Same Day/Appt delivery, rare.

-UPS/Fedex pushing back some with dimming all ground and now starting to take away discounts to over sized packages. http://www.wsj.com/articles/ups-plans-to-end-some-shipping-discounts-for-holiday-season-1434409965 (I will assume at this time Fedex will follow)

-Lots of these new ideas imo are exploratory, most will fail and feel someone will have to absorb large losses at first to get this working. Right there stops a lot of start ups. Also most of these new ideas seem limited to large metros, overall being global delivery companies there is a lot more volume that really isn't in play with these new ideas. City millennials feel they are the center of universe?

-I do see on paper that neighborhood delivery could be more widespread, but that has some issues for sure. To just have a laugh, your going to compete with a crack whore that could deliver a couple local packages on the grid, so they can get their next fix for the day? Cute. My biggest issue with this idea is what happens when delivery goes wrong?

-UPS/Fedex cannot compete with these Utopian ideas, but they are also far from proven and come with their own baggage.

-Robotic delivery, we'll have to see where automated cars go. I'm intrigued we seem to have a focus there for passenger cars, since it gets a lot of press it may feel like it is right around the corner, I feel there is still a big big step to finally making it a reality. Way too early to predict. 2030, the dude doesn't know, it's sci-fi write predicting the future nothing more, some hits, some misses, timelines next to never land.

Bottom line, not to worry, pretty far ways down the line on any volume that will have major impact impact. I do believe USPS is the largest threat to Ups/Fedex, that could have a much more immediate impact. As UPS/Fedex raise rates, USPS have opened up their network for larger packages at a cheaper rate and feel they have found some success volume wise, dollar wise we'll need more time to see.

We will see new services attempts in metro's, they will come and go, something might stick but it will be hard for most to be widespread outside of metro. There are plenty of packages out there where they could have their niche and not make much a dent to global carriers. Think of it this way, this to some level has always happened, you didn't see or hear about these and you've had plenty of packages to deliver, feel it is more of the same. Just putting a light on new service ideas raises concerns, we all want to protect or own. I do like reading what industry is dreaming up, sometimes for a good laugh.

I don't feel UPS/Fedex becoming cheaper, I see them getting back what they've been losing as shippers have been coy finding weak spots, dim and non-discounted oversize as proof. UPS and Fedex make no bones about it, these are major companies in it for long term profit and growth. What will make me chuckle is when some new start-up idea sticks a bit, it will become a Wall Street darling, shows good growth (easy to do with little numbers) but no profit. But investors will jump on it, their name will grow in media, but not really profit. Their stock price will skyrocket on no profit, however UPS and Fedex can show combined about 1.5 billion in profits per quarter and be poked by large stakeholders "That isn't good enough" with a more stagnant stock price. Go figure this :censored2: out then get back to me.

Wilson

Consider the Pay-As-You-Go pension system that relies on current workers funding current retirees pension the future seem bleak. Bleak for the young that want to have a middle class job and retirees that depend on those jobs for their pensions. The scariest thing is how fast its coming. I have no doubt that a combination of technologies in the truck, driver, and delivery location (drop off containers at homes) will eliminate every driver job in 10-15 years. I was going to work longer and gain more pension money but know I'm thinking I should get on the "books" and learn to live on half the benefit amount. Check Out the "dogs."

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I see the truck driving itself, someone still needs to be there to do everything else. All they have coming down the pipe so far makes management and their trucks responsible for accidents. All humans do is move the packages from the truck to the customer's door. Sounds like win win to me--especially in winter!
At what pay rate?
The driver position should become easier than a FedEx Air driver's job.
These "delivery and pickup" jobs could be less skilled than an inside UPSer's job.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Until robots are designed, and cheap enough, to replace the loader, unloader, preloader, etc, no jobs will be lost.

Robots will not be replacing us anytime in the not so near future.

The technology may be there, but it is cost prohibitive to even dream about it.

There are two factors that prevent inside automation - Union resistance and cost.
Newer hubs and sorting facilities have human factors engineering concepts that increase productivity and reduce strain on the body.

I saw a UPS prototype unloading a trailer in 1995 (20 years ago) at 1400 packages (boxes) per hour. It couldn't handle irregs or small bags.
The complexity of loading was well beyond the computing power at that time - maybe 40% but with human assistance at 100% effective rate.
Neither were implemented because P/T pay is so low.
I don't know if $15/hour for unloaders would change the financial situation.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Commercial pilot making under 50k for 4 years???? Now 5th year makes 125. Your #'s are off bro
The airline industry has adopted a tiered pilot compensation approach.

I know several pilots that fly the smaller jets in the Regional carriers that don't make $50k per year.
Surprised the heck out of me.

Captain of a big-ass jet for a major airline with years of service makes the money we all hear about.

ibleedbrown

w advances in technology tripling by the year i have no doubt that a majority of jobs around the world will be eliminated by 2030, bleak job outlook for our kids considering how many people will be competing for the few jobs and careers available in the future. management will stay the same as they are already robots!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
w advances in technology tripling by the year i have no doubt that a majority of jobs around the world will be eliminated by 2030, bleak job outlook for our kids considering how many people will be competing for the few jobs and careers available in the future. management will stay the same as they are already robots!!
Most of management time is spent dealing with hourly employees so a reduction there as well.
Planning and tech-related jobs (quasi-management) will stay or increase.

Browndriver5

Consider the Pay-As-You-Go pension system that relies on current workers funding current retirees pension the future seem bleak. Bleak for the young that want to have a middle class job and retirees that depend on those jobs for their pensions. The scariest thing is how fast its coming. I have no doubt that a combination of technologies in the truck, driver, and delivery location (drop off containers at homes) will eliminate every driver job in 10-15 years. I was going to work longer and gain more pension money but know I'm thinking I should get on the "books" and learn to live on half the benefit amount. Check Out the "dogs."

We still use trains and have stick shift trucks...there is no way that every driver job will be eliminated in 10-15 years. That's just unrealistic

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Almost 10% here

I don't care what you guys do, but to me, pennies are useless. The amount of time and space pennies take up doesn't make saving them worth it to me. The fact that it costs more money to stamp pennies than they are worth should make them obsolete. Maybe some Poindexter can give a TED talk about eliminating these stupid pennies. Why can't we just round up or down to the nearest 5 cents? I'll keep nickels, but I'm not crazy about them either. They're too big, and sometimes they can be confused with quarters. Now quarters, there is a sweet coin...

Step out of the way, fellers, I got a speech to make. Does TED pay well?

Dracula

I hate how these older threads pop up to the current thread when someone new comments. I don't spend enough time here to be checking the original date. Having said that, this might as well be a current topic.

Anyone see Ex Machina? Pretty creepy movie. I can't see it's conclusion playing out, but it really gets you thinking about theoretical possibilities.

Dracula

The airline industry has adopted a tiered pilot compensation approach.

I know several pilots that fly the smaller jets in the Regional carriers that don't make $50k per year.
Surprised the heck out of me.

Captain of a big-ass jet for a major airline with years of service makes the money we all hear about.

Yeah, I've seen a few news stories about the sad state of the regionals. The stories I saw, the pilots made even less than $50k. Poor training, flying tired. I think I'll skip one of those flights.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder

Who the friend' is going to let any of these crazy :censored2: things near their home. Freaky cracked out robots!

clean hairy

For many years, there have been robots that throw a bowlig, the same speed, rotation , etc every time.
Yet, the robot has never thrown a 300 game, due to variables with the placement of the pins and changes with the oil on the lane.
Yet humans have thrown many 300 games.

CharleyHustle

If you have ORION, you have a computer (robot dispatcher) instructing you which packages to deliver in what order. It has me do things in a way that a few short years ago I would have had to explain myself in the office for delivering that way, and possibly being threatened with a warning letter for delaying the load. Now I have to do it that way, go figure...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you have ORION, you have a computer (robot dispatcher) instructing you which packages to deliver in what order. It has me do things in a way that a few short years ago I would have had to explain myself in the office for delivering that way, and possibly being threatened with a warning letter for delaying the load. Now I have to do it that way, go figure...

You don't HAVE to do it 100% that way.

Orion is not to be followed stop for stop but is rather to be used as a tool.

85-90% trace is the goal.