DIAD on lunch...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am on vacation for two weeks. Last Friday was not a fun day as our regular dispatcher had just started his vacation. I was given too much work (so much that I threw an add/cut under the belt as it would not fit) and responded by not taking my lunch or break. Will be curious if anything is said when I come back on the 8th.

tracker2762

Guys have been getting done early in my building since before I started 26 years ago. That's how it works in a bonus Center.

I work in a bonus center , I know how it works. You can still make bonus taking your lunch without running and driving like an idiot. It may not be as much as it used to be besides I don't care about bonus anymore.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

And how would they ever know if you skipped? Can't rely on technology in collecting info on a drivers day.
They will ask you......and if you lie when they have documentation of you del without taking a break.....it's now dishonesty.......just so you know ups knows every move you make throughout the whole day ......every second you work the know where you are

UPSGUY72

I was under the impression that the short haul exception still required you to take a 30 minute break period if you work over 12 hours

If you stay within 100 mile radius of your center you fall under the short haul exceptions. So you don't need a 1/2 lunch before 8 hrs.

Back first

I am on vacation for two weeks. Last Friday was not a fun day as our regular dispatcher had just started his vacation. I was given too much work (so much that I threw an add/cut under the belt as it would not fit) and responded by not taking my lunch or break. Will be curious if anything is said when I come back on the 8th.
So you had to much work you blew off your lunch and breaks. Brilliant! UPS loves drivers like you.

AKCoverMan

Yup, here in New England and I imagine other areas an hour is taken out whether you record it or not. Reason being is that it's the law and there's a big fine to UPS if the state did a time card audit and found that they weren't in compliance with the full hour lunches. Nanny statism. We as grown adults should be able to choose the length of our lunch. Taking a forced hour is that much more time I'm away from my kids. It takes me 10 minutes to eat lunch.
Is this a law in your state? It's not a law in mine that every employee must have a one hour unpaid meal break.

In fact I'm pretty sure the opposite is true. If the company ever changed my time card to NOT pay me for time that I was working they would be getting a visit from state wage and hour folks. That's illegal.

wayfair

swollen member
Is this a law in your state? It's not a law in mine that every employee must have a one hour unpaid meal break.

In fact I'm pretty sure the opposite is true. If the company ever changed my time card to NOT pay me for time that I was working they would be getting a visit from state wage and hour folks. That's illegal.

according to the west supplement, you 're supposed to take a 30 min unpaid meal... buddies of mine in Cali have told me this more than once... but you can't take your 30 min unpaid along with your 2 15 min paid breaks together... kind of weird but anyways.

upsgrunt

No....they screwed me so I simply returned the favor.

You screwed them by doing them favor?
Why not come in with pick up pieces as late as possible.
They knew you were due to start vacation, and could count on you to give up your lunch and break to get in at your "normal time".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You screwed them by doing them favor?
Why not come in with pick up pieces as late as possible.
They knew you were due to start vacation, and could count on you to give up your lunch and break to get in at your "normal time".

I didn't "give up" anything. I didn't record a lunch or break and got paid while I drove home.

...to enjoy their retirement-----absolutely, 100% agree-----what I find pathetic are those who are unable to move on----some even go so far as to meet up with current drivers to have lunch----news flash----current drivers couldn't care less what you retirees have to say....
They still have a lot of valuable information to give. How many people post on here that don't even work here?
We got spouses posting,trolls and customers looking for their packages.

I give all the retirees a pass.