Did the intial interview, so how do I convey that I want the job?

Needle Ran

I'm going on that tour thingy a few weeks from now, so I'm still assuming I'm not hired as of yet, but I need this job right now more than anything as I don't care to go back into retail again, and this is the only part-time position that has the shifts I prefer year round.

So is there anything I should not say or stay away from? I can't afford to screw this up.

Needle Ran

Your breathing, walking, and talking. Theres the requirements. Well as long as you dont tell someone to shove it youll be fine.

sent using smoke signals
lol, I hope you're right. It sure looked that way from looking at other employees.

But it's obvious they look for something when they decide to hire on the spot or send you home to give you the jerk around, and in my current situation, I truly can't afford the latter.

Thanks for the reply.

Go Brown Or Go Home!

To get in is simple its you keeping yourself there. Show up everyday and thats pretty much it. Dont be a :censored2:. Then after you make seniority then its up to you were you want to be or go at ups if thats what you desire.

sent using smoke signals

Needle Ran

That's my plan. I just hope they don't think I'm full of crap when I say I want to stay there for a few years and move up. I heard from employees in the parking lot that they're replacing a sh#t load of people who quit, so hopefully I can be one of the "lucky" few who replaces one of them.

It doesn't seem that much off from lugging around boxes for a local retailer, so if they pull the trigger, I'm in.

I just hope I don't break my back in the process.

Go Brown Or Go Home!

Theres alot of people that say they want to stay for years until they work there first day. Then you never see them again. You can express that you want to be there for a long time. They like to hear that. Just be serious and youll be fine. Hope it all works out for you.

sent using smoke signals

Go Brown Or Go Home!

Oh one mote thing the tour is so YOU can see whats In store. If you did the initial interview and going for tour then you should be good to go unless, like I said before, you act like a :censored2:.

sent using smoke signals

Needle Ran

What job?
Loader/unloader.

Theres alot of people that say they want to stay for years until they work there first day. Then you never see them again. You can express that you want to be there for a long time. They like to hear that. Just be serious and youll be fine. Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks, and yeah, I hear is back breaking work, but I did retail stock over the holiday season and it was an 8 hour shift with only a small break, so it couldn't be much worse...(or so I hope). Hopefully I can at least make it past the 30 day point. Once that happens, I'm pretty sure I can stick it out.

I can't really afford to just up and quit a job at this point anyway.

Oh one mote thing the tour is so YOU can see whats In store. If you did the initial interview and going for tour then you should be good to go unless, like I said before, you act like a :censored2:.
So it's essentially my job to lose then. I can handle it if that's the case. I just need to be sure before I invest in the steel toe boots required for the job.

I'd hate to get all excited when they're still going through the hiring process.

learn how to spell "initial"...might be a jumping off point
Gotta love people who go right after spelling errors. I'll edit it if it'll make you happy, K?

Needle Ran

In my tour group... if you didnt ask a question, you were sent home.
Interesting. I guess I better come up with a few then, lol.

I know they don't want people who'll just quit, but that seems like a bit much. People who don't ask a question probably just don't want to ask anything that makes them look dumb.

Needle Ran

Ask them if you can take a quick spin in a car to see if itll cut a cookie in the center! For sure your in ; p

sent using smoke signals
Actually, that's the first one that came to mind.
laugh.gif

And I'll be sure to update this thread if anything happens, good or bad. For now, I think I'm all but hired, but I have seen people left hanging for awhile with them on a few occasions after hitting this part of the process, so I'll have to wait and see.

30 to life

I'm going on that tour thingy a few weeks from now, so I'm still assuming I'm not hired as of yet, but I need this job right now more than anything as I don't care to go back into retail again, and this is the only part-time position that has the shifts I prefer year round.

So is there anything I should not say or stay away from? I can't afford to screw this up.
Start to flex like the Hulk and say me like cardboard

Needle Ran

Start to flex like the Hulk and say me like cardboard
Not even sure what to say to that, but here's a random Hulk gif

403.gif
HulkWaistUp54fLG.gif

Also one more general thing: is this tour going to be for a full shift or just for a half hour? And should I prepare for more interview questions and wear work boots?

I don't have a working computer at home, so I won't be able to reply to this until after the holiday. So thanks to everyone that replied.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The tour will not be for an entire shift. Dress comfortably---khakis and a polo shirt would be fine. Don't be afraid to ask questions during the tour but don't try to interact with any of the hourlies. If you are afraid of hard word and don't like getting dirty this is not the job for you.

Needle Ran

The tour will not be for an entire shift. Dress comfortably---khakis and a polo shirt would be fine. Don't be afraid to ask questions during the tour but don't try to interact with any of the hourlies. If you are afraid of hard word and don't like getting dirty this is not the job for you.
You replied right before the place I was posting from (a library) was closing, outstanding timing, no joke.

I'm also a lot less jittery about it than I was before, so I honestly can't thank you all enough.

My fingers are crossed that they just confirm the hiring on the spot or at least in a few days.

Needle Ran

You should see the genius' that work at the hub. Say "I want money" and I'm sure you will have the job.
You'd think so, but I live close to big city (not going to say which one as that might give it away) so I'm sure they literally have thousands of people willing to do the work which means they have a weeding out process, I'm just trying to make sure I didn't get the tail end of it.

Anyway, did the tour and didn't ask a question because the guy before me stole my thunder and I thought making up a question that would have been dumb probably would have made me stand out for all the wrong reasons, so I kept my mouth shut. They told us to call back for a start date in which I'm waiting a call back on now.

I hope like hell I'm not getting the old jerk around as I saw that more appointments are open for the shift I chose. There were seriously tons of people there, so I hope that's not a sign that I wasn't what they were looking for.

But then again, it might just be.