Does anybody like their job?

Big Babooba

Packie Any place to purchase beer or alcohol, but not a bar.
short for "Package Store," a place to buy liquor in a package to take with you.
Term commonly used in Massachusetts and parts of RI and NH.:happy2:

Big Babooba

Big, you talked normal, no easterner acent at all! :surprised:
Packie Any place to purchase beyah or alcohol, but not a bah.
shaht for "Package Stah," a place to buy liquah in a package to take with you.
Tehm commonly used in Massachusetts and pahts of RI and NH.

Dat Bettah????:happy-very:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Packie Any place to purchase beyah or alcohol, but not a bah.
shaht for "Package Stah," a place to buy liquah in a package to take with you.
Tehm commonly used in Massachusetts and pahts of RI and NH.

Dat Bettah????:happy-very:
Ah yes, I wahs beginning to wahhy about you. Thought maybe you wah running a fevah or sahmthin. :happy-very:

DS

Fenderbender
I love it! here is a casual canuck old timers conversation.
Whatcha doin Sayerdy?,goin ta bingo ,me 'n Larry are gonna be watchin hockey mundy,toosdy is laundry night but wensdy n thursdy its a home at home with the habs...and the wife n I are going to Ernies funeral Fridy.Grab me two medium regulars at Timmys mundy.

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
I love it! here is a casual canuck old timers conversation.
Whatcha doin Sayerdy?,goin ta bingo ,me 'n Larry are gonna be watchin hockey mundy,toosdy is laundry night but wensdy n thursdy its a home at home with the habs...and the wife n I are going to Ernies funeral Fridy.Grab me two medium regulars at Timmys mundy.

God! I love those Ice caps at Tim Hortons!
Just like our Iced Coffee here at Dunkin Donuts.:happy2:

705red

Browncafe Steward
i hope you are kidding. Can't fault anyone that is trying to make an honest living.

Bomo c on u. ( malay )

How did "most" companies become union? People that got fed up with not getting paid for down time, break downs, waiting at customers locations, etc. I do not feel bad for a trucker because hes not making what myself or a union freight brother is making.

Im not faulting them for making a living, just dont compare what they make to what we union drivers make! They can make similar if they choose.

Have you ever driven anywhere besides UPS?
I have done a lot of different jobs including driving before i went in to "package car" driving. I also worked 2 and 3 jobs for 5 years to get to where i am. You do not understand as an "off the street hire". Im sorry that you made crap in other jobs, but the majority of our feeder drivers worked their way up sacrificing as a part timer, to package car driver and then in to feeder.

Imagine doing the load unload while working another 8 to 10 hours at a full time job, not seeing your wife/kids for 5 years so you could get a driving job at ups. Only to work 10 to 12 hours of hustling all day to the point that you were dead tired when you got home. To finally get in to feeder. Yes the hours can be long, the weather can be bad, but the work compared to package is nothing.

You have not endured this adventure that probably over 90% of the feeder rivers have, thats what i am saying!

Orange, I took what Red said more as, They chose to be independent of unions and complete company control by becoming owner/operators with full knowledge that they probably would not be making the same wages and benefits that goes with being an employee. In that light I don't feel sorry for them either, they have what they wanted....relative freedom.

Bingo, thanks!

UPSNewbie

How did "most" companies become union? People that got fed up with not getting paid for down time, break downs, waiting at customers locations, etc. I do not feel bad for a trucker because hes not making what myself or a union freight brother is making.

Im not faulting them for making a living, just dont compare what they make to what we union drivers make! They can make similar if they choose.

I have done a lot of different jobs including driving before i went in to "package car" driving. I also worked 2 and 3 jobs for 5 years to get to where i am. You do not understand as an "off the street hire". Im sorry that you made crap in other jobs, but the majority of our feeder drivers worked their way up sacrificing as a part timer, to package car driver and then in to feeder.

Imagine doing the load unload while working another 8 to 10 hours at a full time job, not seeing your wife/kids for 5 years so you could get a driving job at ups. Only to work 10 to 12 hours of hustling all day to the point that you were dead tired when you got home. To finally get in to feeder. Yes the hours can be long, the weather can be bad, but the work compared to package is nothing.

You have not endured this adventure that probably over 90% of the feeder rivers have, thats what i am saying!

Bingo, thanks!

If I became a trucker, there's no better way to make money than to run an illegal log!

[/SARCASM]

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"

Bingo, thanks!
But, you see, the difference is, I chose to be a driver as a profession. I didn't do it because I didn't like the job I was doing and saw it as my only way out. And as far as "enduring the adventure", I could tell you about adventures that would make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. I am sorry that you feel we are inferior to you because we were hired for our driving experience instead of our brown experience, but believe me when I tell you that our dues have been paid as well. We just weren't wearing brown when we were paying them. I'm sure our families would agree that they all had to struggle through it to get us all where we are now. And, by the way I haven't been "wet behind the ears" for quite some time. Happy Easter.

lorri47

Yes, I am an administrative employee. I like my job, always have, sometimes more than others. Our management team is great. I don't like getting up in the morning, but once I get there I am fine. I give the drivers and loaders a lot of credit for all the hard work they do. I know I could never do it!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I love my job. I don't always get along with management, let alone, my co-workers, but I love this job. When I was created, this is what I was created for. I don't mind when it's hard, or even not so hard. I love that I'm all over the place all day, and feel like I've accomplished something along the way. This is how I feel.

wisedragonfly

Yes, I am an administrative employee. I like my job, always have, sometimes more than others. Our management team is great. I don't like getting up in the morning, but once I get there I am fine. I give the drivers and loaders a lot of credit for all the hard work they do. I know I could never do it!

Hello Lorri, It's great to see another admin on BC. :happy-very:

Troutman

I've been here 20 years and like many before me...from preload and on my way to management. I came here for a job at 30 when I went back to college because I needed the benefits and planned to be here for no more than 3 years. The work is hard and aggravating and not everyone can do it or stick it out. Those that do seem to have a strong sense of pride. I remeber talking to a group of new drivers and for the most part you needed about 10 to 12 years of seniority to go full time. I asked the to look around the room and then think back to how many people they started with and how many people they've known that are no longer here. You could immediately see in their face that they knew they were special and not just anybody can do this job.

I went through the time where everything made me angry and it's real easy that when someone complains to jump on the boat and start griping. When that happens you start viewing everything that happens around you as a personal attack and then the "poor me" syndrome. I did and I'm sure many others have as well. And when I went into management it got worse. About the time it was the worst a new manager transferred in. He had more experience in a larger variety of the business and started to show me how all of our functions link together. I started getting a larger appreciation of our business.

I've had managers in my face noses to nose cursing me when I was a preloader all the way to attending a united way dinner locally and finding myself sitting next to Oz Nelson at the dinner table. Only at UPS can this happen.

I've come to realize that there are a lot of great UPS folks all over the world and there are good managers and employees and bad managers and employees. Mutual respect seems to be the way to get along. I try to remember that I have not walked in a lot of other peoples shoes (I know, cliche') but honestly it's true.

No job is perfect and for me this has been a great ride. I'm doing things now I never dreamed I would be doing. Only at UPS. Take it a day at a time, do the best I can, work on what I can impact and not spend anytime getting worked up about things I can't change. I also ask questions and seek knowledge of how other departments and operations work. When you think of what we do in one day around the world..not even one day, say 12 hours, we have a lot to be proud of and don't let anybody tell you different.

I have two daughters and son and they have grown up with UPS and I wouldn't hesitate to tell them to work here....but..I would also tell them that if they were looking for a kick back job or a show up when you want to job don't even try. We have to many people around the world that depend on us for their jobs to not take it seriously.

Just my thought's

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've come to realize that there are a lot of great UPS folks all over the world and there are good managers and employees and bad managers and employees.

Take it a day at a time, do the best I can, work on what I can impact and not spend any time getting worked up about things I can't change. I also ask questions and seek knowledge of how other departments and operations work.

Thank you for a well reasoned, positive post.
That's pretty much my take and approach as well.

Welcome to the Brown Cafe and I look forward to your future posts. You've set a high bar with your first one.