Does anybody like their job?

P

pickup

I understand that you are a rookie on here and at ups! And a lot of us on here have between 10 and 30 plus years working for ups and i will tell you that this is a "real trucking" job!!!

You still unload trailers and have not put in your time to compare stories with us that have been doing it as long as we have!

Your comparing other trucking companies that back in to a dock and load or unload skids for less money that we make! Imagine if all we did was 20 stops a day, but we don't! Many of us do well over 150 stops a day and work 9 to 11 hours daily.

There is no harder trucking job out there then what a ups driver does! And until you have put your time in you should really be careful how you talk to a seasoned veteran! -

Your still wet behind the ears! And i dont want to hear that you are 30 plus years old with a family! That's means **** when compared to a ups driver doing this for 20 years!

In fairness to bubsdad, he did put quotes on "real" and I knew what he meant by it. Those other "real" trucking jobs he spoke about are the over the road jobs where you get paid by "helicopter" miles(where you drive 600 miles but the book says it was 540 miles) where you sit on someones dock for 3 and 1/2 hours counting freight and not getting paid for it. Where if you're lucky , you get to sleep in a truck stop for an average of two weeks. If you're not lucky, you sleeping on the side of the highway, or a parking lot of an abandoned warehouse, pissing in bottles and taking dumps in trashbag lined boxes. Where you put up your money to pay for scales and tolls only to find out two weeks later, that the tolls weren't authorized and you ain't getting reimbursed but they kept your toll receipts and now you can't even use them for tax purposes.

Where you are driving illegally in terms of hours because if you don't , you'll miss your delivery appointment and then you'll be charged with a service failure and then you will get worst loads in the future or no loads while you are sitting unpaid for two days in a truckstop or you'll get fired in Dallas with two trunks worth of gear and told to take a bus back to Mass to go home. So if you are an off the street hire like him and me, this seems like a blessing because you are home every night and you get paid by the hour.

Red, that's what I think he meant and he meant it as no disrespect to the guys who came up the ranks to become feeders or who are driving package cars. We know that the package car job entails customer relations, and tight driving conditions. It ain't the moving that gets you into accidents . Its the parking and backing. And from what I hear and see, the telematics and other stuff is taking whatever little wiggle room you got to do things the way you see fit to do and giving "them" more info to try to hang the package guys.

705red

Browncafe Steward
In fairness to bubsdad, he did put quotes on "real" and I knew what he meant by it. Those other "real" trucking jobs he spoke about are the over the road jobs where you get paid by "helicopter" miles(where you drive 600 miles but the book says it was 540 miles) where you sit on someones dock for 3 and 1/2 hours counting freight and not getting paid for it. Where if you're lucky , you get to sleep in a truck stop for an average of two weeks. If you're not lucky, you sleeping on the side of the highway, or a parking lot of an abandoned warehouse, pissing in bottles and taking dumps in trashbag lined boxes. Where you put up your money to pay for scales and tolls only to find out two weeks later, that the tolls weren't authorized and you ain't getting reimbursed but they kept your toll receipts and now you can't even use them for tax purposes.

Where you are driving illegally in terms of hours because if you don't , you'll miss your delivery appointment and then you'll be charged with a service failure and then you will get worst loads in the future or no loads while you are sitting unpaid for two days in a truckstop or you'll get fired in Dallas with two trunks worth of gear and told to take a bus back to Mass to go home. So if you are an off the street hire like him and me, this seems like a blessing because you are home every night and you get paid by the hour.

Red, that's what I think he meant and he meant it as no disrespect to the guys who came up the ranks to become feeders or who are driving package cars. We know that the package car job entails customer relations, and tight driving conditions. It ain't the moving that gets you into accidents . Its the parking and backing. And from what I hear and see, the telematics and other stuff is taking whatever little wiggle room you got to do things the way you see fit to do and giving "them" more info to try to hang the package guys.
I could care less about anyone of these owner operators/non union drivers. Why should i feel bad for them? They could join a union and get similiar benefits!

P

pickup

I could care less about anyone of these owner operators/non union drivers. Why should i feel bad for them? They could join a union and get similiar benefits!

Highly problematic starting a union amongst these companies. And with the implications of nafta with mexican truckers eventually coming over the border to any state they feel like . ( teamsters and obama can only delay, its going to be an eventuality) .it will be damn impossible and I don't think they are asking for your sympathy. The point of my previous post is that these are the "real" jobs of which the other poster was speaking.

satellitedriver

No you aren't! And it sticks to alot of places. The fun is getting it removed from those places. :surprised:
OK, I know this is off topic.
The year was 1976.
The place was the U.S.S. Snort Hotel. in Galveston.
(no joke)
Grape jelly and crackers were involved,no peanut butter.
We have been happily married for 31 yrs.
If we would have used peanut butter, no telling where I would be now.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
OK, I know this is off topic.
The year was 1976.
The place was the U.S.S. Snort Hotel. in Galveston.
(no joke)
Grape jelly and crackers were involved,no peanut butter.
We have been happily married for 31 yrs.
If we would have used peanut butter, no telling where I would be now.
I would ask why grape jelly and crackers and.............................but I don't think I want to know.:wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dilli, last night while watching King George preform on the ACM awards show, I told my wife about this side conversation. She laughed and said to tell you, " And he wouldn't even have to take his boots off." lol
You tell her that I absolutely agree!:happy-very:

feeder53

ADKtrails
True, I feel for the non-union workers who make lower wages and have the same type job. I guess it depends on what one can tolerate. When I first started (over 30 years ago) in the Teamsters I was delivering major appliances for Sears and Montgomery Wards, huffing refrigerators to the attic and removing the old ones......To me that was tough.

A

anonymous6

i hope you are kidding. Can't fault anyone that is trying to make an honest living.

Bomo c on u. ( malay )

i hope you are kidding. Can't fault anyone that is trying to make an honest living.

Bomo c on u. ( malay )
Orange, I took what Red said more as, They chose to be independent of unions and complete company control by becoming owner/operators with full knowledge that they probably would not be making the same wages and benefits that goes with being an employee. In that light I don't feel sorry for them either, they have what they wanted....relative freedom.

scottVA

Richmond-Air
I been at UPS as a partimer since 85. Ive been a PM air dirver (great job) for about 12 years and Ive got 360 days till ive got 25 and im done. Job good company BS is gettng worse every day. Im just keeping my head down.