Does our insurance cover visits to a psychiatrist?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Not using the brake properly or at all can bind up the shifter. I used to replace snapped linkage on P32s on a monthly basis because of drivers not listening to my instructions on the proper sequence while parking on a hill.
I always wondered why some package cars were so hard to put into gear!

Wilson

The health industry is the largest industry in the US. Much is for profit. They don't make any money on healthy people. So, diagnosing a "need" is important to cash flow. Its estimated that nearly a trillion dollars or about 1/3 of all healthcare service are unnecessary. Add to that lifestyle choices (correctable), malingerers, and crybabies looking for silver bullets to self inflicted wounds (mental and physical) and that comes out to about 2/3 of spending needlessly. Or about 2 trillion dollars. That's a lot of hamburgers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...necessary-health-care-two-charts-explain-why/

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/05/11/overkill-atul-gawande

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
If it was really a DOT limitation, they would test for benzos and other psychiatric drugs, but they don't. There are just guidelines for doctors to make sure their patient reacts well to a drug before putting him/her back on duty.
Section 391.41(b)(12): A person is physically qualified to drive a CMV if that person does not use a controlled substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11, Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit-forming drug. Exception: A driver may use such a substance or drug, if the substance or drug is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner who is familiar with the driver’s medical history and assigned duties; and has advised the driver that the prescribed substance or drug will not adversely affect the driver’s ability to safely operate a CMV.

JackStraw

Hope it works out for you. The hardest part is realizing you need some help. Nobody's gotta know anyway, and if they do, EFF 'em. No need to tell anybody either. I know of a few drivers that were on Prozac for awhile and management was none the wiser. You can work on that stuff.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Most new drivers used to automatics don't even use the parking brake.
There's a few drivers who don't even use it in our manuals. I know of at least 3 drivers who every time I hop into their vehicle to move it has a disengaged parking brake. These aren't green guys either. They're 25+ year vets.
Virtually any rural route now will b in an auto.
We have an air driver that comes from another center once in a while to put excess air in our plane and he was shocked the other night to discover we still had manuals. We actually just got another one from a center in Wisconsin about 2 weeks ago. Meanwhile we have several automatics with less than 5000 miles sitting daily.
Out of at least 70 package cars in my center only three are manual. I actually got to drive one last week running bulk, pretty fun sometimes, but not all day.
When I have to help park I love the manuals. Mixes it up a little bit. One side of our building is almost completely manual. Last time both my parkers called out sick I hopped into my car and tried to hit the clutch. Felt like an idiot.

oldngray

nowhere special
Section 391.41(b)(12): A person is physically qualified to drive a CMV if that person does not use a controlled substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11, Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit-forming drug. Exception: A driver may use such a substance or drug, if the substance or drug is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner who is familiar with the driver’s medical history and assigned duties; and has advised the driver that the prescribed substance or drug will not adversely affect the driver’s ability to safely operate a CMV.

Few doctors will OK a driver like that because if anything happens the liability falls on them.

Otis0220

Few doctors will OK a driver like that because if anything happens the liability falls on them.

Long time lurker, first time poster, and I'm not a driver.

This is a topic that hits very close to home. I sought out psychiatric help after many years of suffering and making those in my life miserable too. I take an antidepressant and a benzo, and I feel like a new person.

I was also out of work for a time due to a chronic condition. I had been prescribed narcotics for years; they didn't affect my ability to work, and in fact they allowed me to perform my job. When trying to return to work, I made the mistake of telling the company doctor of all the medications I was taking. He refused to release me due to my use of narcotics. Again, I don't operate any machinery, nor had I ever had any issues with my performance. I contacted someone in HR, some nurse, and she of course sided with their doctor. My PCP was incredibly mad and even talked to said nurse to try and let me return.

I don't want to ramble too much, but I ended up dropping the narcotics so I could return to work. I still don't understand how one that is prescribed medication that they need can be told that they aren't allowed to earn a living. I now suffer every day with pain that is slowly destroying my life. I should probably have sought out legal counsel on the matter, but I was unsure of what kind of lawyer to contact.

Sorry for the long post. Anyone that takes ANY sort of medication, I urge you to not tell anybody, and if asked, lie your butt off. Honesty is the worst policy at UPS.

BTW, I had a conversation with our BA a long time ago about medications. He told me that it was illegal to take Vicodin and drive a motor vehicle. I was shocked, but I didn't argue since I didn't want him to become suspicious. It's unreal how uninformed some people are.

P

pickup

BTW, I had a conversation with our BA a long time ago about medications. He told me that it was illegal to take Vicodin and drive a motor vehicle. I was shocked, but I didn't argue since I didn't want him to become suspicious. It's unreal how uninformed some people are.

I just looked up any info regarding vicodin and D.U.I. Apparently, there are a bunch of law firms out there giving info that you could indeed be charged with D.U.I. if taking vicodin and driving.

I realize that the laws firms are out to make money but they only do if a person/client is ACTUALLY facing the circumstances of vicodin/D.U.I. So maybe your BA was right, he might have seen or heard of a case in his jurisdiction or some other teamster jurisdiction.

Here's a link to one of those explanations from a particular law firm:

http://www.shouselaw.com/dui-vicodin.html

oldngray

nowhere special
I just looked up any info regarding vicodin and D.U.I. Apparently, there are a bunch of law firms out there giving info that you could indeed be charged with D.U.I. if taking vicodin and driving.

I realize that the laws firms are out to make money but they only do if a person/client is ACTUALLY facing the circumstances of vicodin/D.U.I. So maybe your BA was right, he might have seen or heard of a case in his jurisdiction or some other teamster jurisdiction.

Here's a link to one of those explanations from a particular law firm:

http://www.shouselaw.com/dui-vicodin.html

You can't take vicodin and drive but the question is whether you can use it when not working. A doctor could prescribe it for that but few will take the risk.

wayfair

swollen member
That was kind of a dumb thing to post. You had no idea why the OP was asking. He might just want someone to talk to about his feelings or want help to improve himself. He's not necessarily despondent or a danger to anyone.

Dumb???

you have no idea why the OP was asking.

You have no idea if he is despondent or a danger.