Does UPS hire family?

bigearl

I heard that UPS will be doing another round of hiring after the first of the year. My brother and I both want to apply will they hire family?

Packmule

I was going to reply with no. Not unless they are in different buildings and neither is in a supervisory position over the other.
From other posts here it sounds like things have changed. Always thought UPS should consider the value of generational pride.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was going to reply with no. Not unless they are in different buildings and neither is in a supervisory position over the other.
From other posts here it sounds like things have changed. Always thought UPS should consider the value of generational pride.

It used to be that family members could not work on the same or adjacent shifts so if your building had 4 or more shifts you would be all set----that has all changed. We have 3 sets of parent/child in my center.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
They do in NJ.

Funny how things change. Back in the day, company hacks bragged how UPS would never, never advertise, or hire related personnel.

Future

Victory Ride
deliverance-billy-redden-1972.png
Only if you are really "Family"

Packmule

Aren't we all a family here?
I do enjoy it in the summer during tourist season when traveling UPSERS say hi. I have to keep the conversation short obviously, but a quick shake of hands, where you from, how long have you been with the company, and a joke about using the five and ten while on vacation does make it feel like everywhere you go you got family.
Just me. I like to leave them smiling.

CHALLY9TX

It used to be that family members could not work on the same or adjacent shifts so if your building had 4 or more shifts you would be all set----that has all changed. We have 3 sets of parent/child in my center.

We have this too. Parent/child in my center as well as in another center in my building. There are a lot of siblings working the part time shifts also.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

They do. There are two brothers on my sort. They were told when they were hired siblings couldn't be on the same sort, but that changed after about a week. We even had a sup have a family member work for them. We won't get started on that disaster....

HubBub

I think the company used to try to avoid nepotism by not hiring family members. Then when turnover rate hit an absurd level they realized that if one person could hack it, someone related to that person was more likely to hack it too.

In my building, it's like one big family reunion every day. PT brothers/sisters FT husband/wife, or brother/sister or whatever. I think they actually favor folks that have relatives that are UPS'ers because they might actually have a realistic expection of how crappy the work really is.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hub, it wasn't nepotism that they were trying to avoid----they were trying to stay away from the issue of trying to discipline one and how the other would react. We have a driver who's mother is our PM clerk. The driver was fired for failure to report an accident in a timely manner and spent two weeks on the sidelines. His Mom came to work each and every day during those two weeks. She is a friend and I know that it was very tough for her to walk in to the place with a smile on her face in light of what had happened to her son. This is what they were trying to avoid.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Hub, it wasn't nepotism that they were trying to avoid----they were trying to stay away from the issue of trying to discipline one and how the other would react. We have a driver who's mother is our PM clerk. The driver was fired for failure to report an accident in a timely manner and spent two weeks on the sidelines. His Mom came to work each and every day during those two weeks. She is a friend and I know that it was very tough for her to walk in to the place with a smile on her face in light of what had happened to her son. This is what they were trying to avoid.

Dave, when I was hired, there was actually a policy concerning nepotism.