Dont want to quit.

feeder53

ADKtrails
UK Guy, I would go to the manager and explain the situation and see what he has as an option. Contact UPS in the UK and see what they have as options. If all else fails, rely on your family and your skills to find employment eldewhere. Just do not give up.....get out and move forward. I wish you all the best and will say a prayer for you and your family......Hang in there. Your family, friends and health are the big ones.....

Have you checked in to a "leave of absence" for the year? I don't know the in's and out's or even if it's doable, but it might be worth a try. Good luck to you and your family.

Try getting a leave of absence for military reasons. The US government is making you leave for that year just as they would someone in the military. In theory, you would be leaving to make this country safer, right? UPS needs to adjust their policies with changing times.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
UK Guy, I would go to the manager and explain the situation and see what he has as an option. Contact UPS in the UK and see what they have as options. If all else fails, rely on your family and your skills to find employment eldewhere. Just do not give up.....get out and move forward. I wish you all the best and will say a prayer for you and your family......Hang in there. Your family, friends and health are the big ones.....

Thanks for all the support. I know I can beat this Im not throwing in the towel yet, I just need to buy some time thats all. I have to fight this one over on the other side of the pond so as not to break any laws. It wouldnt be worth coming back to the USA without a job , It would be easier to move my family to the UK. 17 years is a long time to just kiss off . It would be very difficult for my wife and kids to leave their home and family,job,schools etc. Please keep the suggestions coming, I was able to save my job once before from advice that I received on Brown Cafe I`m hoping for a second.

J

jeblatz

There are still wide holes in the fence around Brownsville Texas. Head north, change your name and get a fake ID easily found anywhere. Any major U.S. city will welcome you! Free healthcare and hospilization for all who come!

tieguy

Banned
Thanks for all the support. I know I can beat this Im not throwing in the towel yet, I just need to buy some time thats all. I have to fight this one over on the other side of the pond so as not to break any laws. It wouldnt be worth coming back to the USA without a job , It would be easier to move my family to the UK. 17 years is a long time to just kiss off . It would be very difficult for my wife and kids to leave their home and family,job,schools etc. Please keep the suggestions coming, I was able to save my job once before from advice that I received on Brown Cafe I`m hoping for a second.

don't understand why they deport you after 17 years?

you get into a little trouble here?
Join the military serve your new country. You won't be going anywhere then.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?

troubles my middle name Tie
I got into a little trouble back in 1998 but I was never convicted or prosecuted.
The day America gets invaded I will sign up but I`m not going to leave my kids fatherless for some BS war on terror.
If I wanted sarcastic BS I would have asked my wife

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Why hasn't anyone suggested the "UK Guy" consult an immigration attorney?

It wouldn't hurt to talk to one.

I just dropped 5 grand on one. its in my best interest to follow the laws of the US. Its a pain in the $:censored2::censored2::censored2:* but it will ensure my future here.
Finding a way to get time off work is much easier (I hope) than finding a way around the INS.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Quote:
I can't speak for Sober but, I think what he is saying in the underlined sentence is that it's doesn't seem right to make a LEGAL immigrant leave after 17 years without apparent reason. Especially when our country is being overran by ILLEGAL immigrants. Illegals that are draining our social resources at a much higher rate than any taxes they might pay.....please don't get me started on this.
Thats pretty much what I meant, although I am also somewhat sympathetic towards the illegals who are here picking our food and mopping our floors. Some sort of guest worker program needs to be implemented for them....for the most part they are doing work that Americans are too lazy to do.
It just doesnt make sense to me to have strict immigration limits from Canada or the UK. First of all, its not like there are thousands of them trying to sneak in. Second of all, we already have an open and unguarded border with Canada. Thirdly, we have a very strong military and political alliance with both countries. Both countries have similar labor, enviornmental and human rights laws to ours. Canucks and limeys ought to be able to come and go freely as far as I'm concerned.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?

I am not getting deported. I didnt file the appropriate paper work on 8 14 04 to extend my visa. My lawyer has advised me and so have the INS officials that the safest and most appropriate way to ensure my right of abode in the USA is to leave the country of free will before my status becomes revoked thus not breaking any laws or agreements I made with the INS and filing for a 10 year extention from my home country, returning when the stay is granted which could take up to 6 months. More likely than not it will only take a matter of weeks. To be on the safe side expecting the worst would be best thats why I want 6 months leave. There are other alternatives but I cant afford them. Since 9 11 immigration laws are strictly enforced and I cant risk pissing off uncle sam.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Hey Tie, or any other suits out there for that matter.
In all honesty what are the chances of getting a leave if I were to be straight up and ask.
I am a hard worker , I have a spotless record ,(apart from the taco ordeal) am well liked by suits and customers , work as directed and believe it or not practice good work ethics and methods.
I like to solve problems I may have without the union getting involved and by being straight up. I have a good relationship with my center team but is the final word going to be out of their hands ? I am running out of time , my gut feeling is telling me that honesty is the best policy.
I`m screwed huh ! :sad-little:

trickpony1

The company could put you on "special assignment" in your home country.
Don't tell me it can't be done....the company can do whatever they want.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
The company could put you on "special assignment" in your home country.
Don't tell me it can't be done....the company can do whatever they want.

they cant, completely different set of rules. You cant transfer from west to east either. I dont have a driving license in the UK either

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I'm a little bit confused there UK guy, 17 years employment and you are possibly facing visa problems??? Were you on a temporary work visa? Why in the 17 years you not consider trading in that greencard for permanent status?
Whats preventing you from applying for US citizenship? Are we getting the whole story or are you leaving something out???

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Hey Tie, or any other suits out there for that matter.
In all honesty what are the chances of getting a leave if I were to be straight up and ask.

Not a tie but I'd think your chances are almost nil. The retention supe for my sort tried to get me to stay. I told him to pass the word that I needed six weeks off til the end of my school term and would come back. While he didn't quite say it, he wanted promises I'd stick around into '08. When he confirmed my interpretation of his double-talk, I laughed him out of the bunker :happy-very:. At another job I held for almost three years, I explored a six-month leave to pursue an internship. My HR manager told me I'd have to quit and get re-hired, going to the bottom of the wage and seniority scale. My leave requests were denied. Still....might not hurt to try. I'd go directly to HR and show them a couple sheets of official paperwork detailing your situation. They might work with you but I'd be surprised given my experiences. -Rocky

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Why in the 17 years you not consider trading in that greencard for permanent status?
Whats preventing you from applying for US citizenship? Are we getting the whole story or are you leaving something out???

British subjects are touchy about their status. I knew one a couple years ago that could have saved a BUNDLE on his education if he'd been an American citizen. He refused to do it, citing something about right of abode and something else (completely foreign to me). Its possible we're not getting the entire story, too. -Rocky

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I'm a little bit confused there UK guy, 17 years employment and you are possibly facing visa problems??? Were you on a temporary work visa? Why in the 17 years you not consider trading in that greencard for permanent status?

Im leaving about 8 pages of red tape out. I`ll make you all a deal, if you all stop treating me like I`m on trial and help me out , i will scan and post all the paperwork , reasons, laws and regulations that I have to abide by. I love America but refuse to become a citizen of this country because I am English Born n Bred I`m not an American and Im not a hypocrate. I yam wat I yam tsk tsk..