Driver Told He Is Stealing If Drives 54 MPH in A 55 MPH Zone

didyousheetit

If you drive in spite of the flow if traffic, you are a danger, plain and simple, in which case this argument, "I drive the speed limit in my truck for SAFETY" is really specious. Also, the principles involved are no different for a car vs truck; methods, maybe, but not principle. To compensate for the difference, you must increase following distance, not necessarily reduce speed; I can't drive a package car like I drive my personal car, I have to allow myself room for error. In a tractor-trailer, have to give yourself even more room for error. But that doesn't mean doing 54 when everyone else is doing 65. It's rather selfish.

And one thing I like about NJ: they actually give tickets to people WHO GO TOO SLOW! They understand the concept of traffic flow: not too fast, not too slow.

Those who got ticketed being part of a group doing more than the limit: did you ever meet with a judge? What did he have to say?
for those of us who were ticketed the judge threw down the gavel said "you're guilty pay the fine and NEXT"

'Lord Brown's bidding'

For argument's sake, lets assume that you are correct, and that speed has NOTHING to do with safety. Have you forgotten who we work for? Do anything wrong while you are over any speed limit--ANYTHING--and UPS will use that against you. That is not a guess, that is simple reality. Most feeder drivers have a lot of working experience at this company. They tend to be very pragmatic about their employment. They know not to be stupid and give management an easy target. You sound like you haven't learned that lesson yet.

And as far as going with the flow and speed of traffic, that doesn't work with a tractor-trailer...not if you want to be safe. If you are running with the flow of traffic, you will not have a safe space cushion in front of you. Anyone who keeps a proper space cushion from the vehicle in front of you knows damn good and well that every time you get the proper distance ahead of yourself, someone cuts into your lane, reducing your cushion. Rinse and repeat. So, you have to slow down again.

Don't take my word for it, ask another feeder driver. You seem to ignore everything being said here. Tractor trailers ARE NOT like regular vehicles. They handle different, they accelerate different, they brake different and the consequences of an accident in one, can be fatally different.

What you're hearing here, is the acknowledgement of those facts.

Dracula, it is the same principle for anyone who follows the methods in driving: you slow down to maintain your cushion. Methods change, but the principle is the same. A package car ain't a feeder, but it isn't a regular vehicle, neither. Neither is an air-braked equipped vehicle; I've driven both. You adjust, then you move on. I'd like to ask you if you understand what, "going with the flow of traffic" means, if you seriously just typed "you cannot maintain a space cushion going with the flow"; if everyone is doing the same speed, once you have initially set up your space cushion it will not change, save for minor adjustments. Of course everyone doesn't go the same speed, but just as in a package car, you let up off gas (maybe give trucks a little brake, since they need more to slow down), let cushion re-establish itself, and continue on. Only problem is when you are overtaking vehicles, which means you are going too fast, or not with the flow.

I can't listen to anyone who seriously touts the highway speed limit as an issue of safety, since the facts are out there to know better. Also knowing how UPS discipline works, a driver isn't going to get fired for going 54 mph on one bright blue sunny day; he is going to be told repeatedly he needs to speed up, and it is no where near the same as telling someone to run across a multi-lane highway, or jump off a bridge, or ride with a doughnut tire at speeds over 55mph. Come to the aid of this "brother" if you want, but sometimes you gotta know when to call family out.

And just because someone drives over the limit doesn't mean they must be drafting off you; you can drive over the limit using the habits, as millions of truck drivers do, which is why those who fight when mgmt says speed up can get in hot water.

And you won't find me in a ditch somewhere, or under your rear axle, or being mopped up as a puddle after a horrific accident on the interstate; the methods work, and "obey the speed limit" isn't one of em. "Maintain cushion on all four sides", that is, and it is kinda hard to do when you are going significantly slower than everyone else.

tourists24

Dracula, it is the same principle for anyone who follows the methods in driving: you slow down to maintain your cushion. Methods change, but the principle is the same. A package car ain't a feeder, but it isn't a regular vehicle, neither. Neither is an air-braked equipped vehicle; I've driven both. You adjust, then you move on. I'd like to ask you if you understand what, "going with the flow of traffic" means, if you seriously just typed "you cannot maintain a space cushion going with the flow"; if everyone is doing the same speed, once you have initially set up your space cushion it will not change, save for minor adjustments. Of course everyone doesn't go the same speed, but just as in a package car, you let up off gas (maybe give trucks a little brake, since they need more to slow down), let cushion re-establish itself, and continue on. Only problem is when you are overtaking vehicles, which means you are going too fast, or not with the flow.

I can't listen to anyone who seriously touts the highway speed limit as an issue of safety, since the facts are out there to know better. Also knowing how UPS discipline works, a driver isn't going to get fired for going 54 mph on one bright blue sunny day; he is going to be told repeatedly he needs to speed up, and it is no where near the same as telling someone to run across a multi-lane highway, or jump off a bridge, or ride with a doughnut tire at speeds over 55mph. Come to the aid of this "brother" if you want, but sometimes you gotta know when to call family out.

And just because someone drives over the limit doesn't mean they must be drafting off you; you can drive over the limit using the habits, as millions of truck drivers do, which is why those who fight when mgmt says speed up can get in hot water.
Petty,,, UPS' own methods clearly states to abide by all speed limits

We have the right to refuse a directive that is ILLEGAL like speeding. Plus there isn't a manager out there who would give that directive in front of a DOT rep or the state police. Wonder why.

balland chain

We have the right to refuse a directive that is ILLEGAL like speeding. Plus there isn't a manager out there who would give that directive in front of a DOT rep or the state police. Wonder why.

Well, in my many years at UPS and the many lies MGMT has told and gotten away with, they realize that they can not lie to the police and get away with it.. At UPS, the can and do get away with it..Only us hourlies are dishonest according to UPS..

'Lord Brown's bidding'

"Driver, you gotta make up time; go over the limit!", no. "Can you keep pace with the flow of traffic?" No trooper will have a problem with that...the DOT, well...the government can be funny sometimes. They did implement the 55 limit, afterall, and won't change it, no matter how many problems it causes.

"Driver, you gotta make up time; go over the limit!", no. "Can you keep pace with the flow of traffic?" No trooper will have a problem with that...the DOT, well...the government can be funny sometimes. They did implement the 55 limit, afterall, and won't change it, no matter how many problems it causes.

What is the limit of "Keeping pace with traffic" in your mind. The limit is 55 in my state. How much more is acceptable to you before you think it's too fast. And don't be afraid to share your level of experience that you are basing your opinion on.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Let's make some clear: I am not advocating reckless law-breaking, tearing up the highways, get those boxes to the yard to make the 11:05 intermodal outta town. I've been driving professionally for over 10 years now; sure, every one of you has probably driven the equivalent of 3/4 my life span, however what I am saying here is common sense, which is why it is so common, even amongst truck drivers (and in the CDL book, at least the PA one, that same mantra about "staying with the flow" is there, too....for potential tanker, school bus, and doubles'-haulin' UPS drivers to see). I am passionate about driving; when everyone flows together, it is a beautiful thing. When people start trying to make points on the road, either to other drivers, or in our case to management, I have issues with that, yes I do. It makes no sense.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

There is no limit to "keeping the pace"; you "keep with the pace". Don't be in the left lane doing it, or you'll attract attention to yourself. Otherwise, you are just one of many vehicles. Why, no how could someone pick you out if you are not standing out? If just about every other car and truck on the road is moving at a similar speed, why would you get picked out (the moral of the story for ya'll who got taken to court-and my dad, who it has also happend to-is don't be last in line; he always fits the bill for the rest of the table; me, I will appeal it; have done so before and won)?

Just a number. Two digits. What are the two digits you'll see on the speedometer as you go down the road in a piece of feeder equipment as you "go with the flow" before you decide that's fast enough?

tourists24

Let's make some clear: I am not advocating reckless law-breaking, tearing up the highways, get those boxes to the yard to make the 11:05 intermodal outta town. I've been driving professionally for over 10 years now; sure, every one of you has probably driven the equivalent of 3/4 my life span, however what I am saying here is common sense, which is why it is so common, even amongst truck drivers (and in the CDL book, at least the PA one, that same mantra about "staying with the flow" is there, too....for potential tanker, school bus, and doubles'-haulin' UPS drivers to see). I am passionate about driving; when everyone flows together, it is a beautiful thing. When people start trying to make points on the road, either to other drivers, or in our case to management, I have issues with that, yes I do. It makes no sense.
you have been instructed by UPS in their own methods obey speed limits..... I thought you agreed with "work as instructed".... that's the methods AND the laws.... is that wrong if it is different than someone else's version of "common sense"?

didyousheetit

There is no limit to "keeping the pace"; you "keep with the pace". Don't be in the left lane doing it, or you'll attract attention to yourself. Otherwise, you are just one of many vehicles. Why, no how could someone pick you out if you are not standing out? If just about every other car and truck on the road is moving at a similar speed, why would you get picked out (the moral of the story for ya'll who got taken to court-and my dad, who it has also happend to-is don't be last in line; he always fits the bill for the rest of the table; me, I will appeal it; have done so before and won)?
I was in a line of about twenty other cars. there was no less than six squad cars on exit ramp to get us. They would come down the off ramp the officer pointed at me to pull over the rest of the cops did the same to the other five cars. so yes 15 cars or so got away. So moral of story is don't speed. Also why would I try to appeal it, here at least it would probably be three different court appearances and that my friend costs me money at about 300 dollars a day. so I paid fine took class had it taken off my record.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

you have been instructed by UPS in their own methods obey speed limits..... I thought you agreed with "work as instructed".... that's the methods AND the laws.... is that wrong if it is different than someone else's version of "common sense"?

UPS instructs us to obey speed limits....but then fires this driver for doing so? We all know telematics monitors our speed-I have a feeling I am to be reminded of this in the days to come-and yet I know many drivers ride their governors on the way to their areas (mine's is set a little lower, and I cannot catch them). We get PCMs all the time on intersection observations, looking L-R-L when leaving the yard; they even found a bridge over the highway most of the hub takes to get to their routes to measure following distance on the highway, but we don't receive PCMs on speeding, nor should we. If your eyes are on the road (and your mind is there, too), and you are not going ahead of the flow, overtaking vehicles all the time, you are just fine; statistically, you are safer than the person doing 55 (again, I know, counter-intuitive).

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just a number. Two digits. What are the two digits you'll see on the speedometer as you go down the road in a piece of feeder equipment as you "go with the flow" before you decide that's fast enough?

​Where is DS and his metric system when you need him?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I was in a line of about twenty other cars. there was no less than six squad cars on exit ramp to get us. They would come down the off ramp the officer pointed at me to pull over the rest of the cops did the same to the other five cars. so yes 15 cars or so got away. So moral of story is don't speed. Also why would I try to appeal it, here at least it would probably be three different court appearances and that my friend costs me money at about 300 dollars a day. so I paid fine took class had it taken off my record.

Was this in Maryland?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Once I am a acclimated with the equipment, there is no number. If I feel traffic is going too fast, I am asking management's permission to get off the highway, and I will explain why (however, I don't know of many stretches in this country where the flow is 75+). Call me crazy, but then drive north of the border and see what the flow is like, or maybe the open roads of Tx and Montana.

You're not going to catch me doing 75+ here, really not even high 60's, as the flow is generally 60-63. However, it is a real unsettling feeling when something big blows by you at 7+mph faster, as some of the larger vehicular traffic will if you are doing 55, or even just below 60, where conditions permit the flow to travel faster.