Drivers forced to work Christmas day

40andOut

The idiots who under-staffed our hub this peak season are considering forcing delivery drivers to work on Christmas day. Two questions...

1 When (at the latest) would they have to tell us that we are forced.
2 Would you work it if they forced you?.... or just not show up.

RealPerson

Goes right along with the Dallas Ice Storm. UPS is so understaffed and working Personnel and Equipment to max capacity, it can Never ger caught up from an event. 900 Supervisors flown into Dallas to help... Problem wont be fixed this contract either, even will be worse if Min wage goes up!

kingOFchester

Goes right along with the Dallas Ice Storm. UPS is so understaffed and working Personnel and Equipment to max capacity, it can Never ger caught up from an event. 900 Supervisors flown into Dallas to help... Problem wont be fixed this contract either, even will be worse if Min wage goes up!

And I was the fool who stated several months ago this peak could be the perfect storm. Ha!

oldngray

nowhere special
Common sense. Which doesn't apply to UPS management when they won't hire the people they need the rest of the year and head into peak understaffed. A very predictable train wreck.
trainwreck.gif

kingOFchester

Common sense. Which doesn't apply to UPS management when they won't hire the people they need the rest of the year and head into peak understaffed. A very predictable train wreck.
trainwreck.gif

Scott Davis said pre peak that volume would be up. He stated that it was the shortest period between Turkey day and Christmas. He stated that they would staff with the same number of seasonal hires as 2012, and cram more work into fewer days, which "could make the network run more efficiently".

He also stated an ice storm during peak would be hard to make up. Yea, that is a great CEO. Taking a gamble on weather.

How did that cramming thing work out Scott? How about the role of the dice with the weather? How much did UPS save by hiring the same number of seasonal hires this peak as you had in 2012?

"If you get an ice storm in Louisville one of those days, it's going to be hard to make up for,"

"UPS executives said that this year's late Thanksgiving holiday, Nov. 28, will be a challenge. Cramming holiday shipments into fewer days could make the network run more efficiently, they said, but it raises the stakes if there's a disruption."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ups-more-doubles-3q-profit-121827804.html

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The idiots who under-staffed our hub this peak season are considering forcing delivery drivers to work on Christmas day. Two questions...

1 When (at the latest) would they have to tell us that we are forced.
2 Would you work it if they forced you?.... or just not show up.

Where is this?

Ship late and you take a chance. Any union leaders that allow anyone to work should be removed from office immediately.

oldngray

nowhere special
Forcing hourly people to work on Christmas is not going to happen. Management might try to work (mostly PT sups ) but I really doubt that would happen. If little Billy and Suzie get their Christmas presents late, blame the Grinch, not UPS.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The idiots who under-staffed our hub this peak season are considering forcing delivery drivers to work on Christmas day.

Hypothetical questions.... are a waste of time.

Deal with it.... if, and when it happens.

Any union leaders that allow anyone to work should be removed from office immediately.

Well, that can't happen.

And.... In the Central Region....

Those darn Union Leaders, negotiated language that requires the company to pay

double time + holiday pay.... if you work on a scheduled holiday.

-Bug-

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Back in '08 my area had the heaviest snowfall in recorded history occur for 2 weeks prior to Xmas, and our entire region was paralyzed.

Had we been asked to work on Christmas day, I might have considered it. in that situation, there really wasn't anything that management could have realistically done to solve the backlog of packages.

This year, I will be bringing back several hours worth of stops at 10:00 PM on Christmas Eve, not due to weather or other events beyond management's control but because some IDIOT made a business decision to intentionally set us up to fail by grossly understaffing the operation. If they think for one minute that I will give up time with my family on Christmas in order to rescue them from their utterly incompetent decision making, they have another thing coming.

I feel bad for the customers who wont get their packages, but its not my fault. This is one of those situations that calls for some "tough love" on our part. Consequences are natures way of forcing stupid people to stop making stupid decisions, and UPS management needs to accept the consequences for the asinine choices they made this year. I will bust my ass for 60 hours a week without complaint for the duration of peak, but on Christmas Day I am staying home. Period.

Central region supplement, article 15, section 1, states that a regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on Christmas day.
However, section 4 states "regular seniority employees required to work on any of the above named holidays shall receive double his/her regular hourly rate..."

So what's it gonna be, can they force us to work or not?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Central region supplement, article 15, section 1, states that a regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on Christmas day.
However, section 4 states "regular seniority employees required to work on any of the above named holidays shall receive double his/her regular hourly rate..."

So what's it gonna be, can they force us to work or not?
well, within the language, is Christmas listed as "any of the above named holidays"?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Why did a thread about UPS forcing drivers to work Christmas get moved to the Union forum?
As you know all moderation activities are automatically logged by the software. There is nothing about this thread in the mod log so it looks to me like the op started it in this forum.

bc thread mod.png