Drivers on salary

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by dcdriver, Feb 10, 2011.

1. dcdriver

dcdriver nations capital

My ctr seems to have more and more drivers on salary now a days. Drivers punch out at cutoff 9.5 everyday the same time now matter what kind of dispatch they how. WTF
  2. tourists24

tourists24 Well-Known Member

why do they do that? just miss 9.5
  3. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Start asking people to take there 8hr requests. We get three a month and if everyone used there's you would be an army.
  4. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

Because they are afraid, they think the wor means something. They have not yet realized their worth.
  5. dannyboy

dannyboy From the promised LAND

Are you saying they punch out at 9.5 and go home, or are you saying they keep on working off the clock? IF they work till they punch out, that mirrors much of the rest of the country. But that makes them hourly workers.

If they work longer hours than they are getting paid, that is what someone on salary would do. They work the hours, and the pay remains the same. If that is what you are posting, it is against the law. I have seen some drivers punch out an hour or more before they return to the building. Not only is it illegal, but you can and will get fired for it when UPS decides its the right time.

6. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

We have had salaried drivers for years and years ... they're call on-road supes.
  7. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahhhahahaahahahahahhahhaahahahah. Yeah, right.
  8. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

How bout a few more details? Are the "salary" drivers finished with their work? If they finish earlier than 9.5 do they go home and still get paid 9.5?
  9. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

What makes you think that you are limited to 3 a month?
  10. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

Bubble, I just noticed you're not drumming the tiger anymore.
  11. dannyboy

Care to elaborate?

12. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I wish dcdriver would elaborate on his OP so that we could have more to base our posts on.

d, I will admit that I did what you spoke of one time. I punched out on the road so as not to go over 9.5 I was 10 minutes from the center and was less concerned about the $$ and more concerned about what would be said if I had gone over.
  13. dannyboy

You are not the neutered kitty, that is for sure. It took a lot of courage to post that. I am sure others will blast you for the post, but I find it a refreshingly honest post.

There are a lot of other drivers, if the truth were known, that do what you did on a regular basis. I represented one shortly before I left. UPS went real easy on him. Verbal warning. But had they wanted, they could have fired him for dishonesty for falsifying a time card. And it would have stuck. It did not matter that he did not steal time.........

14. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

Yes I think we have all done it, I know I have, but wont anymore. Im too senior to give my time away. if thats how long it took then yell at me, but pay me. Because thats how the day went, and I skimmed everything I could. And it was an honest days work for my pay, I dont care anymore what it says, cause I know It is not me.
  15. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Your right it's 10% but I'm not going down that road. It's going pretty good in my barn right now but anyone in the central region is more than welcome to push that envelope. There has been a decision already on this and it's a teamster winner.
  16. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

He is moving on Dave isn't that bad after all.
  17. rod

rod retired and happy

10 minutes to the building
    5 minutes to fill up and park your truck ( if there wasn't a line at the pumps)
    5 minutes to check out

How many brownie points does one get now days for 20 minutes of working off the clock in the evening? Isn't starting early off the clock to go through your load in the morning enough?
  18. 728ups

728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

We have the same idiots at our center that work half an hour off the clock each morning sorting thier trucks, skip thier lunch and punch out before they get back to the building to avoid going over 9.5 . They are also the first to complain about being sent out so heavy every day
  19. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

You're right!!!
    What the duck is that???
  20. tracker2762

tracker2762 Active Member

If these drivers were getting bonus, they would actually still be getting paid for punching out early. Still don't understand the reason for doing this, except as upstate pointed out. That is to be off the clock by 9.5.