Drivers who pass away shortly after retirement

1 in 10 is a lie....first of all only one in six drivers are hired off the street....that means your center would have hired 60 plus people within your career....If your gonna lie at lest make it believable....
Know well over 20 off the street hires. 27 years with the company. 21 years driving. Worked in 6 buildings in 3 states. Worked with at least 400 drivers.

ManInBrown

The majority of PTers I speak to in passing, have zero interest in going driving. Said they don't want to put up with the BS. All young people. Early to late 20s. I work with MANY off the street hires. About a 75 driver center. Would say easy 10-20 off street. You have to remember drivers transfer. SO if you work with 10-20 off street hires. They didn't all make book in that center

govols019

You smell that?
1 in 10 is a lie....first of all only one in six drivers are hired off the street....that means your center would have hired 60 plus people within your career....If your gonna lie at lest make it believable....

It hasn't always been 1 in 6.

You seem sensitive to your outside hire status.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I will get another job, doing anything, to supplement my income. It won't be a high stress toxic hellhole like ups. I'm looking forward to it

Coldworld

60 months and counting
In many cases the 1 is a pt sup...see it quite a bit.... The days of off the street hires is about dead, especially in large locations...and if an off the street gets hired after a Christmas season usually they are runners...jmo

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If you have a 100 driver center hiring 60 within a few year time is not uncommon....most large cities have buildings with 2 or 3 centers with hundreds of drivers within the building....we're not talking a 15 car bfe center

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It hasn't always been 1 in 6.

You seem sensitive to your outside hire status.
Many outside hires find that they are better than the pt'ers in the hub and that those folks are wasting their time in the building...where the reality is outside hires, especially now get lucky...especially when hired outside peak season. I along with most inside hires will never forget where we came from....the funky hours, the working split shifts and picking up an extra job or 2 to make ends meet, to support the family....Dave and others will never understand that...ever. And if someone asks me how long I've worked here, I ALWAYS tell them that I worked in the hub for x amount of years... How can I not, it was my start on this journey and will always be a part of me.

clean hairy

On the part of retiring, do any travelling while you can, do not put it off!
2 relatives I know are glad they did their trips when they could, health issues ended plans of any future trips for them.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I fish for lobsters year round.
Throw the boat in early April , take it out late Oct, and use a row boat for the other months. Usually I keep 4-6 lobster traps in all year .
Some times in the winter it can be long time between going out.
But I make do.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
As for the amount of hires seen .
In my career 40 yrs of working , I have seen thousands take the prework tours and only a handful show up to work from those groups .
I estimate that it's 1000 to 1 ratio.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Wow I have been retired 2 whole weeks after 30 years,3 repaired hernias,herniated disk, and just got a new shoulder all thanks to ups...never been happier in my life!