Easiest Route in your Center

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Mine is the easiest in the center. But only 1 other cover guy who does the right thing knows, because I never go home when offered an RLO if he's not taking it out.

Keeping runners away from your route is the key.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
[QUOTE="Richard Harrow, post: 2455125, member: 29614

Keeping runners away from your route is the key.[/QUOTE]
It sure is, but it's inevitable...eventually a runner will try to get 2 gold stars and a smiley face on the OR. I never understood this mentality.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
[QUOTE="Richard Harrow, post: 2455125, member: 29614

Keeping runners away from your route is the key.
It sure is, but it's inevitable...eventually a runner will try to get 2 gold stars and a smiley face on the OR. I never understood this mentality.[/QUOTE]

Very true most are almost 10 yrs away from getting seniority. I have seen a hiring pattern lately. They are getting these little nervous fellas. Chain smokers who suck down about 5 monsters before work. They shake like nervous dogs

PASinterference

It sure is, but it's inevitable...eventually a runner will try to get 2 gold stars and a smiley face on the OR. I never understood this mentality.

Very true most are almost 10 yrs away from getting seniority. I have seen a hiring pattern lately. They are getting these little nervous fellas. Chain smokers who suck down about 5 monsters before work. They shake like nervous dogs[/QUOTE]
Yeah we have that type. They might take 10 mins lunch in the restroom at the building and call it an hour. Bunch of spineless cowards. I have given up trying to talk to them.

TheMasochist

200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back
The same route run by a regular driver vs a cover driver probably look very different.

Truth! I ran the training route that I was trained on 2 years ago, yesterday. It had 110 stops on it. I was done all my stops by 2. The new guy getting trained can't handle 100 before pickups start at 4. I took both brakes and a full hour lunch and used the extra time to punch in an approved meeting and donthe DIAD trainings just to fill the time!

What you said about being an eye opener for new guys is true. When I trained on the route back then I couldn't handle the 100 stops either.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Truth! I ran the training route that I was trained on 2 years ago, yesterday. It had 110 stops on it. I was done all my stops by 2. The new guy getting trained can't handle 100 before pickups start at 4. I took both brakes and a full hour lunch and used the extra time to punch in an approved meeting and donthe DIAD trainings just to fill the time!

What you said about being an eye opener for new guys is true. When I trained on the route back then I couldn't handle the 100 stops either.

My point was kind of the opposite. I was saying that in my experience once a cover driver know's what they are doing they work the snot out of them. If they know a route is being covered the stop count seems to increase 50 stops over what the bid driver is usually dispatched with. Part of that was to give the cover driver hours, part of it was to beat the rented mule.

The last time I covered routes was for a full-time driver who was clueless... The worst part was that he was a really good driver. His logic was to skip breaks and lunch and try to be off by 6 every evening. He could never figure out why his stop count was up 50 over the day he bid the route. From what I hear that route is back to normal but his new route is now screwed up. At some point you would think he could figure this out.

I don't know if it's possible to bargain but our next contract I think all DIADS need to be shut off during break. That is the only way to keep routes fair IMO. That keeps old and new alike from screwing up a route and keeps the dispatch realistic.

PASinterference

On Orion for a couple years. Running Orion cut 10 to 15 percent off my route.It is very inefficient compared to an experienced driver. But they are the bosses, so I run it Orion''s way.
Same here.... the only ones here who got more work were the ones who were running up miles.

El Correcto

god is dead
Bid drivers ask me if I want to work everyday when they are heavy. They know they'll have to send help and it won't get done other wise. I would work but they usually have me on a split they built for me 120 stops 140 miles. Gravy

TheMasochist

200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back
On Orion for a couple years. Running Orion cut 10 to 15 percent off my route.It is very inefficient compared to an experienced driver. But they are the bosses, so I run it Orion''s way.
It isn't only inefficient. It has you driving down streets you've touched 3 or more times and it in itself will make you be 5 or miles over its own plan.

When I do a route, I want to never touch that street again. It's just common sense. Learning the numbers, how they run, what numbers touch at intersections, etc etc. There's a level of professionalism there. It's kind of embarrassing when you drive down a street a second time. It makes me feel like the neighbors in the area think I'm lost! LOL!

I don't run and gun. Running and gunning is a sure way to make sure I'm on disability in 5 years. I just won't follow Orion once I've gained that area knowledge, and once I've gained it if I beat the miles so be it. Realistically, all routes can be that smooth.

And yes...I have to agree with - once you've punched in your lunch or break the DIAD becomes useless for that time period. Although there are ways to work around that.

walk it off

Not all routes are created equal. I'm figuring this out as a cover driver. More seniority, easier the route (and usually lazier the lucky driver.)

Describe the easiest route in your center.
That's a easy one. 11 years ago when a driver retired. 90 delivery and 3 on route p/u. Those days are long gone.