Emmanuel AME

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
How do you know a concealed weapons person wasn't there?
Because churches in S Carolina are designated "gun free zones" where carry permits are not valid. Plus, he supposedly reloaded 5 times so unless he got lucky and capped the one with the permit first, odds are that anyone who was there with a weapon--legal or not--- would have at least tried to fight back.

upschuck

Sorry Chuck, this stuff just makes me laugh.

As ALL the founding fathers said at some point in time, "to believe in blind folded faith is to be enslaved by religion".

What you are talking about is simply, BLIND FOLDED FAITH.

You cannot prove any of it. You cannot sustain an argument past closing your eyes and believing in it.

They were right.

TOS.
Sorry you feel that way.

soberups

Many people feel as you but would it hurt you to know that an ant has no feelings towards you one way or the other?

If god is the creative and controlling force of the entire universe and it's vastness, seems to me my love or lack of love toward god would be like an ant not loving me.
You didn't create the ant.

Sportello

Banned
The greater lesson of the Mother Emmanuel murders is not about religion, or gun control, it is about racism in America.

Racism is alive and stronger than ever.

wkmac

If I remember my bible studies correctly I'm pretty sure we were given free will and that we are now under Satan's rule. Not God's. At least until he throws Satan down again. Or something like that. I obviously need to brush up on The Bible again. I think many atheists and anti-Chriatians would be less weary of Christianity if they actually learned more about it by reading The Bible. There are many people that think Christians are still expected to stone people. For example.

How can you have free will and yet be under the rule and control of someone else? That's like saying a prisoner in solitary confinement has freedom to come and go as they please. If something controls you, do you really have a choice in the outcome?

And if Satan is so bad, in the book of Job, Satan (in Hebrew means adversary, accuser as in a prosecutor) acts on behalf of god and in defense of god's plan. How does a rebel angel who made war against god to create death and hell before the events of Eden then turn around later to switch sides and be god's prosecutor and tempter against poor ole' Job?

As for knowing the bible, many atheists and non theists say the same of christians.
;)

soberups

Do you know how he acquired the gun?
The last thing I read was that he legally bought it from a gun shop in April, which means he passed a Brady background check and any state-required waiting period would have since elapsed.

There were also early reports that he had some sort of criminal record which precluded him from legal ownership but that his father bought the gun for him, which would be an illegal "straw purchase" and a felony for both of them.

Either way, it proves the same point; that a person with a premeditated intent to commit murder will not ultimately be prevented from following through on their intent, regardless of what sort of barriers we place in the way of legal firearm purchases.

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

oldngray

nowhere special
The last thing I read was that he legally bought it from a gun shop in April, which means he passed a Brady background check and any state-required waiting period would have since elapsed.

There were also early reports that he had some sort of criminal record which precluded him from legal ownership but that his father bought the gun for him, which would be an illegal "straw purchase" and a felony for both of them.

Either way, it proves the same point; that a person with a premeditated intent to commit murder will not ultimately be prevented from following through on their intent, regardless of what sort of barriers we place in the way of legal firearm purchases.

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

The last I heard was the father bought it as a present but the parents had second thoughts. His mother took back the gun and he later stole it from her.

Overpaid Union Thug

How can you have free will and yet be under the rule and control of someone else? That's like saying a prisoner in solitary confinement has freedom to come and go as they please. If something controls you, do you really have a choice in the outcome?

And if Satan is so bad, in the book of Job, Satan (in Hebrew means adversary, accuser as in a prosecutor) acts on behalf of god and in defense of god's plan. How does a rebel angel who made war against god to create death and hell before the events of Eden then turn around later to switch sides and be god's prosecutor and tempter against poor ole' Job?

As for knowing the bible, many atheists and non theists say the same of christians.
;)

According to the bible we aren't under God's rule. We were given free will and continue to squander it under the influence of Satan. Satan has his own agenda. That includes convincing everyone to follow his ways. He is winning..... for now.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
According to the bible we aren't under God's rule. We were given free will and continue to squander it under the influence of Satan. Satan has his own agenda. That includes convincing everyone to follow his ways. He is winning..... for now.

Why doesn't God just wipe Satan out, and why all the gibberish about free will when God has a "plan"? The two would seem to contradict each other, right?

If Satan is spreading ignorance, yes, he's winning for sure.

upschuck

Why doesn't God just wipe Satan out, and why all the gibberish about free will when God has a "plan"? The two would seem to contradict each other, right?

He will

How does the two contradict each other?

He has a bigger army, but a lesser arsenal. We'll see who wins in the end.

Overpaid Union Thug

There is no contradiction. You just don't understand what you've read or didn't read it at all. Satan is spreading ignorance and apathy. All too well.

But I'm guilty myself. I don't brush up in The Bible enough. And guilty of being a sinful human being like everyone else.

soberups

The greater lesson of the Mother Emmanuel murders is not about religion, or gun control, it is about racism in America.

Racism is alive and stronger than ever.
I would disagree.
I would say that racism was stronger when there was slavery, when there were lynchings, and when there were Jim Crow laws in effect.

We are making progress, albeit slowly.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
He will

How does the two contradict each other?ve

He has a bigger army, but a lesser arsenal. We'll see who wins in the end.

Please understand something. I am an agnostic, not an atheist. Although I doubt there is a God, I cannot prove it, just as you cannot prove He/She/It exists. As I have said many times before, I would love to be proven wrong. There is, however, no proof.

As far as the contradiction goes, logic dictates that an all-powerful deity could wipe-out any opponent...including Satan. All of the silly "explanations" and interpretations don't make the Bible any more credible. I've heard most of them, and buy none of it.

Give me proof and you have a believer. You can't, and "faith" isn't an explanation, so don't even go there.