Everybody better pack a lunch.

Dookiebrowns

So as a Cut Driver who spends alot of days in the middle of nowhere.........
New rules regarding how and where break is spent in the Minnesnowta district.

Any driver who wishes to take break cannot break trace by more than .25 miles.

Break starts as soon as driver breaks trace, and ends when driver is back on trace. Break time must be coded when the vehicle is stopped and the engine is shut off.

And finally for those of us who can't make it to a gas station or restaurant when it -10, any break taken on trace must be done so with the vehicle stopped and the engine shut OFF.

All this is very interesting. What's even more interesting is when meeting with the strongarms from the Union to tell them that " we own the trucks and pay for the gas, so we get to make the rules." All they said in reply was NOTHING. I'm glad to see where my dues go.

I don't really think any of this will fly in the long run, but until then I'll just continue to bang my head against my bulkhead.

NHDRVR

Having done many routes in the 'middle of nothing' I simply worked my lunch and breaks around what ever was there. I know this is difficult sometimes if they are harping on the breaks/lunches being taken during contractual hours. I currently take my hour and twenty at the end of the day at my house. I have never been spoken to , not even once, about doing this in the past 4 years.

It's more difficult as a cover driver because you simply don't have the routines that we do. Just do what they tell you to do, brown bag it, and in a few week there will be a new flavor of the month and this will go away. Trust me...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So as a Cut Driver who spends alot of days in the middle of nowhere.........
New rules regarding how and where break is spent in the Minnesnowta district.

Any driver who wishes to take break cannot break trace by more than .25 miles.

Break starts as soon as driver breaks trace, and ends when driver is back on trace. Break time must be coded when the vehicle is stopped and the engine is shut off.

And finally for those of us who can't make it to a gas station or restaurant when it -10, any break taken on trace must be done so with the vehicle stopped and the engine shut OFF.

All this is very interesting. What's even more interesting is when meeting with the strongarms from the Union to tell them that " we own the trucks and pay for the gas, so we get to make the rules." All they said in reply was NOTHING. I'm glad to see where my dues go.

I don't really think any of this will fly in the long run, but until then I'll just continue to bang my head against my bulkhead.

You can send your thanks to the Federal government and Teamster's concerted efforts that pushed UPS into this position.
Stupid is as stupid does.

Cementups

Box Monkey
If you are operating a company vehicle you shall be in the clock. My break/lunch starts when the truck stops and I am done doing UPS related work.
I also was told if I go x-amount out of way for lunch that i should pack. Not a chance. I break trace about 0.5 miles daily for the last 7 years and I am not about to change now. Especially when i come under my projected everyday on the fantasy number sheets.

Dookiebrowns

The problem seems to be that there is no precedence nationally or locally. My building has four centers and there was a meeting between union and management that ended with us having to clock break as soon as we break trace. I disagree with this and all above mentioned rules, but since our local seems to side with UPS on this there isn't much I can do.

JW79

How can i apply to ups? I think im on the do not hire list from about 8 years ago when i did not quit properly. Any replies welcome

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If you are operating a company vehicle you shall be in the clock. My break/lunch starts when the truck stops and I am done doing UPS related work.
I also was told if I go x-amount out of way for lunch that i should pack. Not a chance. I break trace about 0.5 miles daily for the last 7 years and I am not about to change now. Especially when i come under my projected everyday on the fantasy number sheets.

Just don't advertise it Cement at your building - appears your management is operating under the "Don't ask, don't tell" program.

brownman15

The problem seems to be that there is no precedence nationally or locally. My building has four centers and there was a meeting between union and management that ended with us having to clock break as soon as we break trace. I disagree with this and all above mentioned rules, but since our local seems to side with UPS on this there isn't much I can do.

call d.o.t that ups is falsifying hours of service.

JonFrum

Federal Law requires that you be "relieved of duty" in order to take an unpaid lunch. If you are not "relieved of duty," and take a lunch, you are getting a paid lunch, and increasing your DOT hours of service.

It isn't just a question of having access to food and drink. More significantly is access to a proper toilet and sink. Your lunch starts when you arrive at the nearest place where a lunch can be properly taken.

If you were a tour bus driver, the bus might have a restroom onboard. UPS is free to redesign the Trace, or install restrooms onboard if they so choose. In the meantime, travel on the clock to the nearest facility. And file with the Wage & Hour Division and the DOT.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Federal Law requires that you be "relieved of duty" in order to take an unpaid lunch. If you are not "relieved of duty," and take a lunch, you are getting a paid lunch, and increasing your DOT hours of service.

It isn't just a question of having access to food and drink. More significantly is access to a proper toilet and sink. Your lunch starts when you arrive at the nearest place where a lunch can be properly taken.

If you were a tour bus driver, the bus might have a restroom onboard. UPS is free to redesign the Trace, or install restrooms onboard if they so choose. In the meantime, travel on the clock to the nearest facility. And file with the Wage & Hour Division and the DOT.

Sorry, I could not find in the Federal Law the provisions about the DOT regulated employee must have access to restrooms and proper lunch place.
You are probably right though (with your degree in locker room law), I'll go back and read that law again or maybe UPS lawyers already have. :wink2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The idiots who made this rule did so from within the comfort of a heated and air-conditioned office that is just down the hallway from a restroom.

In the real world....someone who accepts packages from the general public and handles a DIAD that is used by dozens of people a day needs a suitable place to wash his/her hands prior to eating or after using the toilet.

If UPS wants to install chemical toilets and handwashing facilities in the backs of the trucks...or rent them and position them along the route...then they have the right to keep us from "breaking trace" in their vehicle. Until that happens...I will drive the vehicle on the clock a reasonable distance to a restroom, and if management has a problem with that they can kiss my ass.

JonFrum

Hoax, the rules apply to all employees, not just DOT-regulated employees.

It's against the Law to urinate and/or defecate in public. You can't just step outside your package car and relieve yourself by the curb. You'll be arrested. You need a restroom.